It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why pretend race doesn't matter?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
ok i admit,sometimes towards some races im kinda racist,you guis happy^^
but at all i dont think im a racist...

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   

OldDragger
NOBODY can just admit it bugs them that we have a black man as President!

It bugs me that we have a black man as president.

Copernicus
I used to have race prejudice until I started having friends from other cultures.

I used to NOT have race prejudice until I started talking to people of other races.

Do I get a cookie?

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

What the h*ll does the the fact that a man has the colour of skin many white people spend a fortune trying to replicate (either through sunbathing or artifical colouring) have to do with his ability? He's less 'black' than a lot of Californians!

One might argue all US presidents should be of Ameroindian ancestery, But one of African ancestry is as much American as one of European ancestry.

Personally I base people on their abilities Not the colour of their eyes, hair, their height or shoe size. Be interesting to know why you think so differently?

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by OldDragger

I would say it obviously bugs you...

But just because it bugs you, doesn't necessarily mean that it bugs lots of other folks. Cut him, he bleeds red...cut me, so do I. His race is inconcequential to me.

...and I'd be real careful about casting aspersions of racism too widely, lest they come back to bite, were I you.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Like I said, way to miss the point!

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Then by all means elucidate. I'd hate like all heck to be misinterpreting you.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I just wanna say we need to get over this race stuff. It's been going on for ever and it's really getting old. I've seen Black congressmen and women both say that race shouldn't be a factor then when something bad happens what do they a small part of Black congress use the race card. Of course there are real examples of racisn especially that moron Van Jones
God forbid we mention it and call him a racist. "Evil WHITE polluter" that I am apparently.

[edit on 10-04-08 by Beach Bum]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas
I am sorry, I disagree with you 100%, I do not care that Obama is black.

But the OP does not contend that SpartanKingLeonidas dislikes Obama because he is black.
He says that race matters. Maybe not to you. But it's clear that it matters to some.

I was around in 1964 and I was raised in a home where race was an issue. My parents "taught" me that black people were somehow "less than" white people. Of course, after 50 years or so, I have realized the folly in that assertion, just as I have regarding many other fantasies that my parents told me.

I agree with the OP. That's not to say that everyone who disagrees with Obama does so because of his race OR that everyone who agrees with him does so because of his race. Not by a long shot. But, like OMS stated, I believe that race is a larger factor than is being acknowledged. Mostly because when it is brought up, the people who are willing to talk about it are accused of racism themselves.
And sometimes the accusation is correct.

Racism is somewhat of a "taboo" subject. It's sad, too, because I actually enjoy talking about the part race plays in our society, just as I enjoy talking about religion and politics. I don't deny it. Race matters! There's no doubt in my mind.

To answer the OP's question, "Why pretend that race doesn't matter"?

My thoughts: In today's society, being thought of as "a racist" is shameful. People who are racist should be ashamed. So why would someone admit or be proud of the fact, even if they are? They may admit it to others of like mind, but they're not going to share it in public where they will be opening themselves up to mass ridicule. It's like an adult who soils their bed. They're not going to admit that, even if it's true. So, don't bother trying.

Secondly, it is my theory that many aren't even aware of it. My sister-in-law told me that blacks shouldn't have pets because they're lazy. She told me several other ridiculous things having to do with black stereotypes in a conversation we were having. She then mentioned her mother and I asked if her mother was racist, too. She was aghast! "Racist?!?!? I'm not racist"!!! she said.

That's an extreme case, but it illustrates how some people are totally unaware of their own racism. Saying that Obama is Muslim, Arab, a foreigner, evil, etc., I believe, in most cases has roots in racism.

But it's OK with me if people don't want to admit or acknowledge it. It's not my job to make people face their inner selves. I know what I see and hear and I have my judgments. But I really don't care if people understand and agree that Obama's race matters to many or not.

[edit on 10-9-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

I suggest you read my posts more carefully. I'm suggesting that race is a huge factor for Obama hate. I personally love the guy!

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beach Bum
I just wanna say we need to get over this race stuff. It's been going on for ever and it's really getting old. I've seen Black congressmen and women both say that race shouldn't be a factor then when something bad happens what do they a small part of Black congress use the race card. Of course there are real examples of racisn especially that moron Van Jones
God forbid we mention it and call him a racist. "Evil WHITE polluter" that I am apparently.

[edit on 10-04-08 by Beach Bum]

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM..........

Mod Edit - Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 10-9-2009 by elevatedone]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Essan
What the h*ll does the the fact that a man has the colour of skin
have to do with his ability?

Ability isn't the issue here. Him being black is the issue. The real reason I don't want a black man as president is personal and aesthetic: My internal mental image of the role of proper leadership is incompatible with my internal mental image of black men. The qualities that I associate with black people and black culture are not compatible with the qualities I would choose in a president.

Think of it this way...the Great Seal of the united states has an american bald eagle supporting the shield. This imagery, this heraldry conjures up feelings of strength, courage and individuality. What if instead of an eagle it had been a rat? Or maybe a platypus? How about a dodo bird? Would that have mattered to you? Would you have perhaps felt slightly less pride in the imagery? Why? Surely these animals could have held a purely symbolic shield on a purely symbolic seal just as well? I believe Benjamin Franklin wanted turkeys as the US mascot. How much pride would that given you?

I can interpret the heraldic symbology of a black president in many ways. Few of them are inspiring.

seagull
His race is inconcequential to me.

Ok. Just like his religion may be unimportant to your neighbor. Or maybe his sexual habits. But clearly these qualities do matter to somebody. When Clinton started getting blowjobs from interns some people freaked out. Others didn't understand what the problem was. I would propose that race is a similarly a quality that may matter to some people, and might not matter to others. But for reasons of emotional volitility, and leftover feelings of guilt in the population at large, there are an awful lot of people who believe that race should somehow be magically "exempt" from consideration, even though other considerations like religion, sexual preferences, etc. are perfectly socially acceptable to think about.

Did Clinton's sexual apetite meaingfully interfere with his ability to perform his function as president and commander-in -chief? Probably not. Nevertheless it was extremely important to many people, and I dislike the idea of mandating to others which qualities they're "allowed" to consider when making choices.

Beach Bum
I just wanna say we need to get over this race stuff.

Yes. I agree. We should get over this race stuff. Race is as much a part of a person as any other quality. Pretending that it's magically different is silly.

[edit on 10-9-2009 by LordBucket]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Ah...I see. So because some of us have a disagreement with policies put forth by the Obama Administration, we're somehow blinded by the fact that he's of mixed race? Sounds like you're calling many of us, if not all, rascist to me...

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet

Race is not a factor unless you are a person who isnt from my generation ( you older people) There is only one color my generation sees and that is Green. My generation helped get Obama elected, My generation belived he would change things. Now we are seeing it as A BIG FAT OLD LIE.

You older Generations have royal screwed this country, it is time for you to go out to the pastor chew your "backy" and let us take over. You r generations have not done anything right in this country, and when someone points this out to you you scream Rasiscm or Sexism or any other stupid ISM you have out there. How about this you guys just go away turn the reigns over to us and let us have at, we cant do any worse then people have done.

Take a thousand points away for that.

Please check back with us in, oh 25 years or so!

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

I am sorry, I disagree with you 100%, I do not care that Obama is black.

But the OP does not contend that SpartanKingLeonidas dislikes Obama because he is black. He says that race matters. Maybe not to you. But it's clear that it matters to some.

You are correct, BH, but with a gross generalization, the OP is trying to lump everyone together.

I am not affected my someone's race, thank you for caring enough to state that.

A thread like this from the OP is just trying and sadly failing at stirring up racial bigotry.

I stand by my previous statement in my original post.

If you're going to disagree with Obama, it should not be based on race, but on topics like this one below.

Cotton Candy Words, Gumdrop Dreams, and Rainbow Smiles : Mr Obama's Sugar High

To be fair, the OP did say 20% of the populace.

[edit on 10-9-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull

Ah...I see. So because some of us have a disagreement with policies put forth by the Obama Administration, we're somehow blinded by the fact that he's of mixed race? Sounds like you're calling many of us, if not all, rascist to me...

Gee, feel free to just add anything you like to my statements!
READ MY POSTS! If anyone is trolling here, it might be you.
I didn't call anybody ANYTHING did I?

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
You are correct, BH, but with a gross generalization, the OP is trying to lump everyone together.

There you go again!
I SAID about 20% or so. Thats my estimate. that isn't a gross generalization. Stick to what I said. WORDS MATTER!

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   

the OP is trying to lump everyone together.

Not really.

Originally posted by OldDragger
I'd guess at least 20% of Americans have a problem with having a black President.

I think today, too many people assume the intent of others. When I think I gather someone's intent, I check it out. I call it checking out a fantasy. Because unless I ask and get a response, my assumptions about his intentions is a fantasy on my part.

A thread like this from the OP is just trying and sadly failing at stirring up racial bigotry.

I would check that out before voicing that assumption.

I stand by my previous statement in my original post.

Okie Dokey.
That's certainly your right.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Thank you for actually READING my posts!
It's a lot more fun and informative that way isn't it!

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
because it doesn't.

you're an ignorant fool for thinking such a large amount of people dislike obama "strictly" for his race.
just because they say it on the news repeatedly? really? dont you have a brain? to think for yourself???

you really think a quarter of those people that voted for obama suddenly turned racist??

people don't like him because bush screwed a lot of people over, people hated him, and after 8 years this charismatic guy came along sayin he had all the answers, hope, AND change, and also (this is important) was not a republican.

he's not any different though, he has the same policies on virtually everything.
and people have realized that. some, at least. people are mad at obama because hes failed to show any plans to fix the problems he said he'd fix, and has made bushes patriot act worse among a bunch of other things.

i dont know about you, but i dont think race has anything to do with it really.

i dislike obamas administration, and i couldnt care less if he's black. i hated bushes administration, and i couldnt care less if he was white.

you must know a lot of racists or somethin.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Okie Dokey.
That's certainly your right

Yep, starred for that one BH.

Not sure if you noticed, but I did edit that last post.

I'm fair when wrong, but to me racism is ignorant, not directing that comment at anyone in particular either, reverse racism is still racism, I see both types as ignorant.

[edit on 10-9-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join