It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OK.....what????

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
I was listening to the talk radio this morning the DJ was taking callers on this very issue...

One lady caller (Hard core Christian homeschool mom) was spouting verse and chapter how Obama was the antichrist and anything he said to our kids was poison... now this lady was livid and quite firm in her beliefs... don't know where its coming from but she was not the first person I've heard say stuff like this...

that is because many prophecies and the bible have predicted "these times" as the end of the world. which in my opinion is baloney. also because nostradamus said we would have a "dark leader (many assume this to be literal and not dark as in evil because obama is black), who would bring peace to the world and be a false prophet and end up being the antichrist"

this is why overly religious people hate him, and no other reason than stupid prophecies.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by stereovoyaged

I'd say you were in Bizarro world or some kind of fantasy land if you don't think he has better things to do.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
this is on yahoo news, clearly stating how ridiculous it was for parents to be so nuts about obama's speech to children.. and here it is

By JULIE PACE, Associated Press Writer Julie Pace, Associated Press Writer – 19 mins ago

ARLINGTON, Va. – In a pep talk that kept clear of politics, President Barack Obama on Tuesday challenged the nation's students to take pride and ownership in their education — and stick with it even if they don't like every class or must overcome tough circumstances at home.

"Every single one of you has something that you're good at. Every single one of you has something to offer," Obama told students at Wakefield High School in suburban Arlington, Va., and children watching his speech on television in schools across the country. "And you have a responsibility to yourself to discover what that is."

Presidents often visit schools, and Obama was not the first one to offer a back-to-school address aimed at millions of students in every grade. Yet this speech came with a dose of controversy, as several conservative organizations and many concerned parents warned Obama was trying to sell his political agenda. That concern was caused in part by an accompanying administration lesson plan encouraging students to "help the president," which the White House later revised.

Obama preceded his broad-scale talk with a meeting with Wakefield students, where at one point he advised them to "be careful what you post on Facebook. Whatever you do, it will be pulled up later in your life."

Obama, accompanied by Education Secretary Arne Duncan, met with some 40 students gathered in a school library before the speech carried on ESPN and on the White House Web site.

"When I was your age," Obama said, "I was a little bit of a goof-off. My main goal was to get on the varsity basketball team and have fun."

The uproar over his speech followed him across the Potomac River, as his motorcade was greeted by a small band of protesters. One carried a sign exclaiming: "Mr. President, stay away from our kids."

During his meeting inside, one young person asked why the country doesn't have universal health insurance. "I think we need it. I think we can do it," Obama replied. The president said the country can afford to insure all Americans and that doing so will save money in the long run.

Obama is not the first president to give such a school-opening talk, but his plans seemed to almost immediately get plunged in controversy. Critics accused him of overstepping his authority, and school districts in some areas decided not to provide their students access to his midday speech.

Duncan acknowledged Tuesday that some of the prepared guidance for school officials included a suggestion that students could compose essays stating how they could help support Obama — an idea the education secretary acknowledged was wrongheaded.

In his conversation with the Wakefield students, Obama said that not having a father at home "forced me to grow up faster."

One young person asked the president whom he would choose to dine with if he could make only one such selection.

"Gandhi," Obama replied. "He's somebody I find a lot of inspiration in. He inspired Dr. (Martin Luther) King" with his message of nonviolence.

"He ended up doing so much and changed the world just by the power of his ethics," Obama said of the inspirational leader Mahatma Gandhi. At another point, Obama told the students that "a lot of people are counting on me."

Obama proceeded later with the speech the White House had released a day early, virtually unchanged. The school he chose as the setting for his talk — Wakefield — is the most economically and racially diverse school in Arlington County, according to the Department of Education. Nearly 40 percent of graduating seniors pass an Advanced Placement test. That's more than twice the national average.

"There is no excuse for not trying" he said in the speech. He said students must be individually responsible for their education, and that it's important to work hard, pay attention in school and complete assignments.

"Whatever you resolve to do, I want you to commit to it," Obama said. "The truth is, being successful is hard. You won't love every subject that you study. You won't click with every teacher that you have."

"At the end of the day, we can have the most dedicated teachers, the most supportive parents and the best schools in the world, and none of it will matter unless all of you fulfill your responsibilities," the president said.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
now, im sorry, but to me, that is what i WANT to hear a president say.

Enough with all this obama is hypnotizing my kids crap. its just bull.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
This thread is single handedly making me question the sanity of the US, who if not the president should encourage your kids to stay in school. What next?? Next thing he'll be telling kids to......*gasp* eat their vegetables and read more!!!! The man is clearly a lunatic and must be stopped

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by kingoftheworld
No, it was about the worksheet that they were gonna have the kids do. The assignment was that they had to write a letter to themselves and tell how they were gonna help the president.

I quoted this post because it highlights the crux of the matter. Children shouldn't be forced to write letters agreeing to help politicians. That's not education, that's propaganda.

It's interesting that nobody bothered to respond to that post. Nothing to say?

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattifikation

No, it was about the worksheet that they were gonna have the kids do. The assignment was that they had to write a letter to themselves and tell how they were gonna help the president.

I quoted this post because it highlights the crux of the matter. Children shouldn't be forced to write letters agreeing to help politicians. That's not education, that's propaganda.

read the passage i just posted. maybe thatll help you understand more.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   

You must be insane if it took until this thread to make you question the sanity of the USA, or the world for that matter....

and the really crazy thing is, round here.....life is more or less easy and everything is more often than not obvious.

back on topic now....
I like that a speech to kids in in the mainstream media...beats the hell out of octomom, which is what those kids would be overhearing or seeing right now had it not been for Obama making some waves...

I just like the idea of the nation focusing on kids...even if its a lot of dumb politics too. And I don't even have any...kids or politics.

does any of that make sense..got up waaay to early today...

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Their parents. Their teachers. Those are the people with the responsibility to raise and educate.

In a sense I can see where you're coming from. If I put much store in motivational speeches. Or think that's all it would have been. But I don't. I think it's just a PR opportunity for a politician looking to improve a deteriorating image... with a little of ye olde sleight of hand "look over here while I motivate the children and not over there where the economy is crumbling, war drags on, etc.". What's not to like?

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Resinveins

Their parents. Their teachers. Those are the people with the responsibility to raise and educate.

In a sense I can see where you're coming from. If I put much store in motivational speeches. Or think that's all it would have been. But I don't. I think it's just a PR opportunity for a politician looking to improve a deteriorating image... with a little of ye olde sleight of hand "look over here while I motivate the children and not over there where the economy is crumbling, war drags on, etc.". What's not to like?

its not obamas fault that the economy is crumbling. its OUR fault and our last presidents fault. obama has not even been in office for that long. no one can create major changes in a short amount of time. americans are too spoiled to realize this and think anything can happen with a quick snap of the fingers. it cant.

and teachers many times talk about their own ideals and can encourage children in the wrong way. many of my teachers did.

[edit on 8-9-2009 by calihan_12]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Simply put: It is very shady to address only children.

The speech itself was not a bad thing. He made some very good points. But before the content of the speech was known, there were a lot of people concerned that he was going to push kids toward forced service.

I'm betting a re-write is the only reason he didnt mention the service.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
this is just so rediculous to me. in some countries a woman can't even show her face in public, but americans are pissed about a president addressing their children saying "stay in school"?

this is outrageous and i honestly dont understand how anyone can continue to say it seemed suspicious. why would he need to say "stay in school" to adults? it was a message meant for KIDS.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattifikation

I will respond, when I was in school, we watched speeches and we wrote letters to our government officials. I remember speeches by Regan and Bush Sr.

In my government classes, we were asked multiple questions about the speech that we listened to, we were told to think about the speech, what it meant to us etc., and then we were required to write letters.

We would then critique these letters, and have "debates" in class about our different opinions, without hating on each other by the way.

All of this complaining about Obama giving a speech to school children, is just plain hate on Obama. Nothing more, nothing less.

Perhaps, part of the problem is, these people complaining, did not take government classes in school. I am sure glad we had them at my school and that it was a requirement for graduation.

If children are not given the opportunity to write letters to their government in a "safe" environment, then they don't learn the importance of being involved with their government.

Oh, and yes, I watched space shuttle flights back in school as well (in response to a post someone made), the biggest one I remember is the Challenger. It was a horrendous day at school.

So sorry that you guys did not get the opportunity to be in the real world when you were in school. Perhaps your parents took you out of school on those days cause "they did not want you brainwashed". (sarcasm)

Harm None
Peace

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by calihan_12

Never said he was responsible. (And the responsibility stretches back further than just our last President... just so you know.) But with little to no progress to show on economic policy or on the war front, it's not too much of a stretch to see how a little distraction might help brighten things up.

As to your teachers encouraging in the wrong way... I'm sure you're correct and some did/do. Does that mean I should accept encouragement in the wrong way from another source, even if it's the President? Thx.. but no thx. That kind of logic escapes me.

[edit on 8-9-2009 by Resinveins]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
come to think of it, our school had to do that too, write letters to our government.

its nothing new.. and nothing to freak out about

i also remember in like 2nd grade we had to choose a penpal from any country of our choice and write to them. we wrote to them throughout the whole year and they would write back. it was so cute.

anyways though,

:sigh:

this is just the world we live in. you can not shelter your children from anything you think is wrong. if your kids dont learn something from you, they will learn it from their peers or the media. if you try and control your kids' lives you will be setting them up for failure. i cant thank my parents enough for giving me a normal childhood with freedom, because they trusted that i would make good decisions.

maybe your guys' parents brought you up the way they did because they didnt trust your decisions and now you are doing the same to your children.

allow your kids to have a mind of their own. if they thought it was wrong for obama to speak to them.. then they will tell you that. dont make those choices and assumptions for them.

[edit on 8-9-2009 by calihan_12]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereovoyaged
So I was just reading an aritcle on CNN.com about how Americans are getting angry at Obama planning a speech telling kids to stay in school and that they will need an education to go anywhere in life. Am I missing something here?? Isn't that..a....goood thing??? How dare he try and tell kids to better themselves
the nerve!

It is called conditionings and manipulation.

Now wouldn't it have been wonderful if the puppet master had been pulling their strings and telling them to fight against all the bull crap that Bush and Cheney did over the last 8 years; maybe we wouldn't have as many problems today.

Before I get the call outs about my supporting President Obama and drinking the White House Kool-aid let me add that I am an independent. I don't believe that there is one wit of difference between the the Repubs and the Dems. They are all cut from the same cloth and control by the same people.

The whole government Capitol Hill business is a ruse and if anyone believes that the American people have actually elected a President within the last 30 years then I would ask them to dig a little deeper.

What is buried in the dark will eventually find its way to the light.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
its just an oili statement so he can win some votes and love,any president can say that,how about he does something good,instead of justing talking stuff

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I dislike Obama's policies very much, but I have to agree with the OP here. Sometimes people lose all credibility in an argument when they fail to be logical and they are quickly seen as being just as narrow-minded as those they say they are fighting against.

I think it's great to have a leader that encourages the youth to be better, and strive for higher education. I'd venture to say that if President Bush would have been speaking these same words, there would have been no problem with it.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Reply to post by calihan_12

I agree. Ultimately your child has a mind of his/her own. You as a parent do have an inherited right to protect them from anything you see as unfit. However, what is so nihilistically evil about "stay in school". Regardless how you view the guy and his policies, I really highly doubt he's trying to persuade your nonvoting children into anything "evil".

When smokey the bear says "stay in school...and remember..only you can prevent forest fires" I don't hear the mothers and fathers of America shouting "invasion invasion!" It's mainly because they don't have anything to disagree with "smokey" on. Just because you view some of Obama's standings, such as Obamacare, doesn't mean he's trying to demonize his message to your children.

Unless of course you as a parent are going to take responsibility for your child asking you whether or not to believe in something/someone for the rest of their natural born lives. At some point parents need to realise their children can rationalise and use logic just as well as the parents(or sometimes better even).

Let your child go and make up their own mind. Or sit and have a parent/child(ren) discussion about why your child(ren) should/should not attend. Give them the facts yourself, it's your responsibility after all...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
The only people I can see having an issue with this are nut job end of days'er christians or people who want their kids working at Mcdonalds for the rest of their lives. Please someone tell me one negative possibility about this speech being made. Unless your like the lady from the radio show who thinks obama is the antichrist, in which case logic is a magazine you don't subscribe too and you are a lost cause anyway.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join