It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Having baby at home seen as safe option

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by calihan_12

Originally posted by Donnie Darko

how do you think people had babies before healthcare and hospitals were around?

there was a really high mother and infant mortality rate. i was born with a cord around my head and possibly as a result of that i have a permanent chemical imbalance in my brain that causes constant anxiety. if i were born at home, i might not be alive today.

i don't like hospitals though. maybe the whole crew could accompany the mother?

yes but.. isnt that supposed to be a natural part of life? some babies live, some die. some mothers live, some die. instead the world is highly populated and medicated and staying alive longer. who ever said that was how the world is suposed to be?

my mom had 5 kids and wasnt sedated once, with any of us. she came out fine, and me and all of my brothers came out fine.

its natural and its beautiful. having a C section is a non normal part of human life.

on the c-section bit i agree wholeheartedly. a c-section is not "easier" than childbirth, it is a ghastly injury that should be a last resort, but doctors now do it like more than 1/4 of the time because it makes them more money.

really makes me angry.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
i know! many women do it just because they dont want to feel the pain of childbirth. its a copout. many women have to. what about in africa where some women have 15 kids and all are natural births?

ugh, c section makes me sick.

it should be used as a very VERY last resort.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Well, given the choice between a c-section and having a dead wife and/or baby, I'm gonna give the c-section a big thumbs up, thank you very much. Mothers/children dying during childbirth may be "natural," but if there's a way to prevent it from being my wife/child, then nature can go screw for all I care.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
there's cases where it's necessary, but the procedure is used way too much.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

I was replying to this comment by Calihan_12:

yes but.. isnt that supposed to be a natural part of life? some babies live, some die. some mothers live, some die. instead the world is highly populated and medicated and staying alive longer. who ever said that was how the world is suposed to be?

I found the comment to be insulting. "Your wife/child shouldn't have gotten medical care to easily save their lives, but my moms is superior because she was able to kick out 5 kids without need of any medical care" was a face-palm of a comment if I ever saw one. Like I said in my first post in this thread, my wife went through 30 hours of labor and they ultimately determined that there was a cephalopelvic disproportion and my son wasn't going to be born any other way. Believe me, my wife felt devastated that she had to resort to a c-section. My daughter was also a c-section because our insurance will not cover a v-bac (they won't pay to have the surgeon on stand-by during the birth in case the c-section is required) and, considering my daughter was also in the 90-ish percentile range on head circumference, it probably would have been necessary regardless. Incidently, I've now got two happy, very intelligent, amazing children who I wouldn't have if this anti-cesarian mentallity was pervasive in the world.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Gotta chime in here..
I practice natural remedies for everything..no docs no hospitals..EXCEPT for child birth.
I was deemed low risk for all pregnancies.
But..my son was overdue, and his shoulders got stuck during delivery.
My daughter was born with the cord wrapped around her neck twice..as a result she has mild cerebral palsy..she quite possibly wouldn't be here right now.
My youngest, a boy, was born so fast, the doc never made it to the room till I started to immediately bleed everywhere.
I would never advocate a home birth.
Anyone can argue both sides of this...just my personal choice.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by calihan_12

my mom had 5 kids and wasnt sedated once, with any of us. she came out fine, and me and all of my brothers came out fine.

its natural and its beautiful. having a C section is a non normal part of human life.

I had an emergency caesarean under general anaesthetic, I crashed and my son was losing his heartbeat.
To make such a statement smacks of ignorance and no direct experience.

My son was also in the high percentile range on head circumference. He is my love and my angel and I am thankful for every day I can share with him.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChemicalSubstance

Although I have known people who have had had perfect and healthy babies at home, I wouldn't take the risk.

Oh I can understand the apprehensions people may have about giving birth at home.

But the fact is childbirth was the leading cause of death in women until well into the 20th century. Not to mention all the babies who died because of birthing complications or improper handling or the death of the mother.

The reason the leading cause of death for women were childbirth was due to germs which caused infections, the germs were from doctors that didn't clean their hands in between patients. It wasn't until the early 1900s doctors started believing in germs and utilizing the protocol of cleaning their hands in between patients.

Why go back to less enlightened times?

In many ways hospitals are not enlightened, a recent study found doctors spreading germs with their lab coats, cellphones, ekg instruments, cords, medical tools, badges, etcetra. Lets not forget the resilient form of staph infection which could only be found until recently in hospitals. Hospitals are not as clean as people think. So in a way giving birth at home is enlightenment if there are not underlying factors.

[edit on 8-9-2009 by Chai_An]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
All my kids were born at home.

There are two different basic kinds of sheep in the world. English sheep need help from farmer and vet to deliver lambs.

Karakul and wild mountain sheep don't.

If you 'help' childbirth, after many generations you will have humans that cannot give birth without technical support.

Assisted birth is contrary to Darwin's and Nature's way.

Thumbs up for natural birth- and all its consequences.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I think we cann all agree that noone deserves to not be born because a C- section is not natural.

But in an effort to understand the procedure and assess any patterns that may exist. For instance, my mom had a c-section for me and my bro, but she was just a little bit overwieght at the time.

Would it be terribly offensive to ask you c-section people if maybe you were a little bit overweight? Please I do not mean any offense, and I have met co-workers at work with c-section as well. Many of them are a little bit overweight.

Please dont bite my head off I just want to understand. My children were both born semi-naturally, becauuse both were induced but delivered through the canal.

IF the quuestion does offend please just chew mme out and I sincerely appologize. I just want to udnerstand b y gathering statistics.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
In defense of C-sections. I have always been an active slim person. I physically prepared myself for natural childbirth exercising and staying active. I labored only about 2 hrs each pregnancy but pushed those big boys out on my own. I was exhausted and starving. Even though my labor & delivery was somewhat quick & painless it was a very powerful feeling one that I wouldn't want to go on for very long. I can see how mothers/babies could easily become stressed.

to all you moms & dads and your beautiful babies. It's no good for anyone if moms/babies die or suffer needlessly. How humane would it be to watch a woman laboring unsuccessfully for hours watching her die in horrible pain. Maybe that's natures way but even early humans used their skills to improve on nature. Who knows just how long C-sections have been done. It might surprise you. It's definitely worth it to go as natural as possible but damn you gotta get that baby out. That's just no way to let another human go if there's a way to help.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
A great statistic to see would be the morbidity and mortality statistics of mothers and children born at home vs. hospital.

It is foolish to not have an emergency plan if an emergency happened during a home birth.

My son was born at home. It ruled, and my wife and I had an awesome experience. Somewhere we have been convinced that life wouldn't happen if we didnt have medical interventions.

There are plenty of risks I don't want my wife or child around in a hospital setting, and we will take our chances at home with a qualified midwife and an emergency backup plan.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
I think we cann all agree that noone deserves to not be born because a C- section is not natural.

But in an effort to understand the procedure and assess any patterns that may exist. For instance, my mom had a c-section for me and my bro, but she was just a little bit overwieght at the time.

Would it be terribly offensive to ask you c-section people if maybe you were a little bit overweight? Please I do not mean any offense, and I have met co-workers at work with c-section as well. Many of them are a little bit overweight.

Please dont bite my head off I just want to understand. My children were both born semi-naturally, becauuse both were induced but delivered through the canal.

IF the quuestion does offend please just chew mme out and I sincerely appologize. I just want to udnerstand b y gathering statistics.

No I was not, and am not overweight, I still model for shoots now as i did then,,, the clue is the large head circ which means the baby is too large to fit in pelvis.

.. you wont gather stats on ats

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chakotay
All my kids were born at home.

There are two different basic kinds of sheep in the world. English sheep need help from farmer and vet to deliver lambs.

Karakul and wild mountain sheep don't.

If you 'help' childbirth, after many generations you will have humans that cannot give birth without technical support.

Assisted birth is contrary to Darwin's and Nature's way.

Thumbs up for natural birth- and all its consequences.

have you any evidence to support your claims?

have any of your family had any medicine at all?

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by calihan_12

So what are you trying to say? Are you saying my wife should have been one of those that died? BTW I didn't say she had a C-section, she had an operation on her uterus to stop the bleeding afterwards. I think it was completely natural to save her life, well about as natural as the cloths you are wearing.

Here's some more unprofessional advice.

Don't become a doctor whatever you do

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I had a perfectly normal pregnancy. I had a nightmare of a delivery. Ends up my kid was almost 10 pounds. After an exhausting 2 days of total labor, I finally had a c-section.

But I would of been fine with an experienced midwife, who would of urged me to go to a hospital.

Hospitals allow midwives. I think that is the perfect setup, one of the birthing rooms with a midwife at the hospital.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Hospitals allow midwives. I think that is the perfect setup, one of the birthing rooms with a midwife at the hospital.

I agree this is a great alternative. Unfortunately our little hospital didn't offer birthing rooms. My doctor had to travel to get to me and I was going fast. He made it in time to catch it was the OB nurse who took care of me she was great. There was no nursery so they washed/weighed/measured our baby right there in front of my husband and I. I didn't mind my hospital stay at all. It was a tiny hospital I was the only one who gave birth that day. I was left alone with my baby family could be with me the whole time. The nurses were great. I stayed until the next day when the dr. came back to check us out.

I was the perfect candidate, physically speaking, for home birth and considered it. It's my location that bothered me. We live 10 miles out on county road we had no phone service, at that time, emt's often have a hard time finding county residents. I wanted to be a bit closer to help if needed yet left to my own abilities if all went well which is what my dr. recommended. Something else I had to consider Colorado has the lowest birth weights in the nation. www.cdphe.state.co.us... Some locals suspect the altitude. I was lucky both were 8lbs.

Some women imo do misuse c-sections. My sis-in-law is one of them she had an emergency c-section with her first and against her dr's advice demanded a c-section with her second. There was no way the dr. could talk her out of it. She said he was mad but what could he do? Those of you who are against c-sections what do you propose? Will you be the one telling those women to just tough it out? Will you be the one consoling the family telling them death is better for the human race or would you leave that to the dr. Regardless of what you might think about the medical community that would be a pretty crappy thing to expect of a medically trained person.

Imo misuse of c-section will not impact the female bodies ability to give birth naturally. There is no physical reason why some of these women can't give birth nothing physical to pass on. With the example of the sheep I suspect breeding practices are to blame. There is a genetic fault either in the ewe or in the size of her lamb.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Morningglory

One of the main issues with a nurse/midwife in a hospital setting, and this is from my experience, i sthat they will attempt to turn things into the allopathic model at the first SENSE of distress.

It would be great to know how many procedures they would do in a hospital if they couldn't charge for it.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by brocket99

It would be great to know how many procedures they would do in a hospital if they couldn't charge for it.

This topic is not humorous but when I read the above I had to laugh to myself because the first thing that came to mind in response to it was "not many".

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
That's some scary stuff. My 16 year old twins were breach and so was my 5 year old son. If not for 2 weeks in the ICU I would have lost them. Giving birth at home I would have died. I was 33 weeks along.

A friend had a baby boy. His head came out normally but his shoulders were too wide to fit through the birth canal. This will sound horrid but after 26 hours of pain and pushing she passed out. The doctors decided since they couldnt push his head back through to perform a C-section the only option was to remove his head. Luckily they got him out but has epilepsy from tugging on his head so long.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join