It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What animal makes this sound?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
About a month ago I kept hearing this strange sound all night long. I taped it then, and tonight I'm hearing the sound again. I first heard it out back, so I walked out to the woods. It was coming from the ground. I had a flashlight with me, but I couldn't see it. About an hour or so later, the sound was coming from the front. I walked out with my flip video and recorded it. I could hear the sound moving, but could not find it with a flashlight. I listened to a bunch of animal sounds, but can't find anything similiar.
Does anyone know what it is? This is from tonight.
You can hear it every 10-20 seconds. You might want to turn up the sound.

[edit on 7-9-2009 by virraszto]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Well we need to know what part of the world you live in. Without that specification it could be anything from a house cat, to a bird, to a fox.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Well that depends on what part of the world you live in, if you live somewhere semi tropical it could be something entirely different from what i think it is.

To me. It sounds like a young owl.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
oops....sorry about that. Michigan is the state.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Then its most likely a bird. Probably an owl, could be a different species. I doubt that it is anything out of the ordinary.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I second an owl.

But I can understand why it bothered you- it does sound creepy. I once heard a sound so terrifying at night when I was 15 and babysitting- sounded like a demon giving birth- I was so terrified I called the police. Years later- I discovered it was the cry of a Bobcat.

Its strange how some of our common woodland animals can create the weirdest sounds!

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
It's an owl. If you have ever seen the movie, "My Cousin Vinny" then you might remember the time he was at the cabin trying to sleep. He came out of the cabin firing a 357.

[SNIP]

[edit on 7-9-2009 by cloakndagger]

Mod Edit: Video removed because of profanity.

[edit on 7-9-2009 by Gemwolf]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   
My bet would be Common barn owl. Their call is a typical eerie screech compared to the typical "woohoo" of other owls such as the Horned Owl.

Visit the site for some great sound clips for comparison.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

The gemwolf beat me to it. That little guy is your best bet. We had one frozen in the snow (still not sure what went down with that...did he just stand there until his feet were stuck?) and the getting him in a large box/getting him to the raptor preserve left us with some soul-scarring noises to contemplate.

Beautiful bird though.

On another note: Ever hear a deer scream? I was almost convinced a small child was being killed by something.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I'd thought of an owl at first, but since I kept hearing the sound from the ground level, I thought it was something else. This noise was a constant every ten to twenty seconds all night long, both nights I heard it. Next time, I hope I can get a photo of it. It probably is an owl. Thanks guys.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

I do believe that is a common screech owl. I live in Kentucky, in the middle of nowhere and very close to the woods and I hear them fairly often.

Click here to hear a screech owl. Sound about right?

I think they sound kind of spooky, but I love to hear them at night!

[edit on 9/7/2009 by gemineye]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by spines
reply to post by Gemwolf

On another note: Ever hear a deer scream? I was almost convinced a small child was being killed by something.

hehe, I have, tis scary as fook. First time I heard it I freaked out - sounded like an indignant, angry she-banshee - kept changing location very very quickly. Was only a few months after that I saw a deer making the same sound in a documentary. Phew.

[edit on 13/9/09 by XHellcatX]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Sounds like a grizzly hen to me..... hehe

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
That sounds like an owl. or some time of nocturnal bird.

or the blaire witch

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by gemineye
reply to post by virraszto

I do believe that is a common screech owl. I live in Kentucky, in the middle of nowhere and very close to the woods and I hear them fairly often.

Click here to hear a screech owl. Sound about right?

I think they sound kind of spooky, but I love to hear them at night!

[edit on 9/7/2009 by gemineye]

I personally don't believe those sounds are the same.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I'm not so sure it sounds like that either. My guess, if you say it sounded close to the ground, is a fox. It's somewhat hard to hear for me to be positive, but it sounds like this to me:

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Shakespeare wrote of "The owl, night's herald" (Venus and Adonis, 1593, Line 531) and recognized the role that owls have as the "fatal bellmen" (Macbeth, 1605-1606, Act II, Scene ii, Line 4) of that final deepest sleep. In this way, owls have been seen as harbingers of eschatology or the ultimate fate of humans.

Perhaps this owl is an omen to you.

Owl Wisdom: Taking Out the Truthers
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
i second the argument of a barn owl, throughout history they were known as ghosts by their looks the way they way they fly silently and their screech. most owls make the twit- twoo sound where as the barn owl screeches.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Yep, Owl is what I thought of as well. They don't all make that stereo typical hooting sound... take for example this clip from the movie "My Cousin Vinny".

The owl here sounds almost like a screaming woman to me.

(CAUTION: There is bad language in this scene. If you are offended by cuss words do not watch this video!!!!!)

Anyway, Like the majority of the people here. I am putting my money on an owl of some kind.

[edit on 16-9-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join