It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video: Bush and Reagan school addresses were very partisan compared to Obama school speech

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoffinFeeder
so I read the first page of this drivel and realized, that this is the basic Obama apologist garbage we're used to seeing. It does nothing to address the real issues here and picks a strawman argument to try to make everything look better. Spindoctoring as usual.

See, here' sthe thing, the other speeches may have been more partisan or whatever, but they weren't near as manipulative and indoctrinating as this Obama farce is. ... and that is the real issue. The issue not addressed.

Not near as partisan and indoctrinating as Obama's. So... is it a Delorean? Do you have a floating skateboard too? How cool is that?!!

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I didn't even start school until 92 so I missed out on the Presidential speeches the OP is talking about. I didn't see channel one until 6th grade. I can't say how people responded to Presidents giving speeches to children because it was before my time. Do I think it's a bad idea having the president speak to children and asking them to write a report or letter for him? That depends on the subject. I think that in general, the idea is very good. Children should be taught that THEY have power to influence the world. That a single voice can travel great distances.

However, if ANY president tries to manipulate children... That's, of course, terrible. I don't know what Obama is going to say in the speech, but I expect it to be a generic nothing special sort of speech. The man is hardly spectacular and amazing. He's not a savior or anti-christ. He's a politician.

The Obama Haters will brush off the fail and continue on making arses of themselves. They've lied and been wrong so many times, it's too late for them to change course now. They actually believe the crap that flows from their mouths. What makes it worse is that the Haters are destroying any legitimate criticism of Obama and taking the blind fanatics further away from reality with them. In essence, the Haters may be the greatest allies Obama may have in the US. The media is giving the impression that there are only two sides. With Obama (shown as calm and peaceful) or with the lunatics waving guns and Hitler posters in the air. MSNBC, FOX, CNN... they all seem to be painting the same picture. In truth, they all should be dressed like clowns, throwing pies at each other, holding signs that say "This is a distraction! Keep Looking Right Here!"

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoffinFeeder
so I read the first page of this drivel and realized, that this is the basic Obama apologist garbage we're used to seeing. It does nothing to address the real issues here and picks a strawman argument to try to make everything look better. Spindoctoring as usual.

See, here' sthe thing, the other speeches may have been more partisan or whatever, but they weren't near as manipulative and indoctrinating as this Obama farce is. ... and that is the real issue. The issue not addressed.

Could you please explain what is so different from what Obama plans on doing then what Bush Sr's intentions were?

You make Obama's speech out to be something extremely and ominously different, and I was wondering if you could enumerate what those differences are?

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Come on guys really though ... weve seen the guys campaign he was presented as a movie star he spoke well hes not a bad looking guy ... everything he does is a pr stunt ... Healthcare included... theres an old adage "theres no such thing as bad public relations". On top of all that hes proven to the people who are aware that hes a liar just like all the other politicians before him and all the ones that will come after. Its a game to these people they play the numbers, and playing the numbers means addressing future voters.

So lets put it this way ... hes got 3 years to convince sophomores juniors and seniors that hes a good guy willing to fight for the people ... i remember when i was in HS i wanted to save the world and wanted like minded people in power of a government. and i mean look how he got elected last time HS seniors and college students mostly.
So all he has to do is say, kids focus stay in school get good grades and someday you can make a difference. That alone would be enough but its not just the simple act of saying it... hes good at speaking he makes you feel connected and a part of the "change".
No parent could reverse the image he puts out ... its not a matter of critical thinking thats just not correct especially as he plays on emotions.

Sorry if i rambled but i hope someone gets my point

[edit on 7-9-2009 by conspiracyrus]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracyrus
Come on guys really though ... weve seen the guys campaign he was presented as a movie star he spoke well hes not a bad looking guy ... everything he does is a pr stunt ... Healthcare included... theres an old adage "theres no such thing as bad public relations". On top of all that hes proven to the people who are aware that hes a liar just like all the other politicians before him and all the ones that will come after. Its a game to these people they play the numbers, and playing the numbers means addressing future voters.

So lets put it this way ... hes got 3 years to convince sophomores juniors and seniors that hes a good guy willing to fight for the people ... i remember when i was in HS i wanted to save the world and wanted like minded people in power of a government. and i mean look how he got elected last time HS seniors and college students mostly.
So all he has to do is say, kids focus stay in school get good grades and someday you can make a difference. That alone would be enough but its not just the simple act of saying it... hes good at speaking he makes you feel connected and a part of the "change".
No parent could reverse the image he puts out ... its not a matter of critical thinking thats just not correct especially as he plays on emotions.

Sorry if i rambled but i hope someone gets my point

I get it... well said.

[edit on 7-9-2009 by conspiracyrus]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I'm not sure what "titorite" is going on about, in school we watched all manner of government broadcasts and shuttles launches (this was during the early 80's), including the Challenger disaster. I graduated before there was anything like Channel One. We also watched the Reagan speeches, not that I ever paid any attention to those.

The Challenger event was the big one, it was broadcast to schools because it involved a teacher (McAuliffe). In fact McAuliffe was to begin broadcasting a number of school lessons from space to schools across the nation.

Yet, for whatever reason, Titorite thinks this wouldn't have been possible since "Channel One" was online until 1991. Go figure.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

You see, there is ZERO intellectual honesty to the complaints about the President of the United States giving a speech to school children.

So many folks are up in arms, yet as it turns out... Not only has the great Ronald Reagan done the same thing, but his speech was "very partisan compared to the Obama school speech".

George Bush Senior did the exact same thing... and yet some people allow the likes of Hannity and Limbaugh to define reality even when it is intellectually dishonest.

Wow, the Obama lovers are really working hard to excuse their savior...

Let's see... What recent presidents EVER called for a Civilian National Security Force, with more Americorps, and Obama youths that have ages starting from secondary and even primary school?

What president wanted to have these Civilian National Security and children to train in anti-terrorist drills?

What president passed a law, as H.R. 1388 which states the Corporation has the power over all learn based/educational programs, as well as Community Service programs. This includes ALL children, whether they are stay at home kids, whether they go to privae schools, or a school in a reservation.

not to mention...

H.R.1388
GIVE Act (Introduced in House)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SEC. 6104. DUTIES.

(6) Whether a workable, fair, and reasonable mandatory service requirement for all able young people could be developed, and how such a requirement could be implemented in a manner that would strengthen the social fabric of the Nation and overcome civic challenges by bringing together people from diverse economic, ethnic, and educational backgrounds.

(7) The need for a public service academy, a 4-year institution that offers a federally funded undergraduate education with a focus on training future public sector leaders.

(8) The means to develop awareness of national service and volunteer opportunities at a young age by creating, expanding, and promoting service options for elementary and secondary school students, through service learning or other means, and by raising awareness of existing incentives.

(9) The effectiveness of establishing a training program on college campuses to recruit and educate college students for national service.

Unfortunately this link doesn't last long, but you can check the information yourself.

link

Oh, and let's not forget the Corporation has the right to have a centralized electronic citizenship verification system...

Study of Centralized Electronic Citizenship Verification System: H.R. 1388 authorizes the Corporation to conduct a new study on establishing an electronic citizenship verification system and then implement a pilot based on the recommendations from the study. The bill authorizes such sums for this study from FY 2010 through 2014.

Link

Scroll down almost to the middle.

Then, to stay more on topic perhaps if Hunka BOTHERED to do any research, as he never does, he would find that the question being asked students, which was sent by the White House to principals accross the nation,specifically ask the students things like "what do you think the president wants you to do"?... At least Bush told 8th graders the future was theirs and they should make their own decisions....

But again, the Obama lovers will continue to be in love with their messiah, and they will continue to go to bed with a picture of their messiah, and they will sigh at every word their beloved messiah says nomatter how nefarious it might be.

The ZERO intellectual dishonesty comes like always from the Obama lovers. I even had one tell me that Bush did the same thing FOR READING A CHILDREN'S BOOK TO CHILDREN....

Wow, what a difference between reading children A CHILDREN'S BOOK, and having MANDATORY service for children, then asking them what the children thinks Obama wants them to do, not to mention about the CO2 laws, and other scams which Obama has partaken in which keep being shown to children as "being very important"....

So keep cheering for Obama, your beloved messiah... YAY!!!!!!

[edit on 8-9-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
My issue has not been the speech itself, but the fact that the White House is dictating how the topic is discussed prior to and after it is played to the the students.

I also have a problem with my children being exposed to this without parental guidance. I'm their mom, I am the one teaching them values and morals, even if others don't agree with them, they are my children & I will guide them. I'm getting tired of the government deciding what my children should believe instead of me, their parent.

And no, I didn't keep my kids home, never even thought of doing it because I'm confident that my children are strong enough to stand up for their own convictions, something they have done in the past when the teachers were pushing Obama during the election.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by lynn112

Great post

I actually discussed this with my girlfriends 9 year old last week. She brought home a permission slip in order to see it. My girlfriend and I talk about politics sometimes around the kids so when she said she didn't want to watch it we decided to talk about it.
I asked her why she didn't want to see it and she didn't have an appropriate answer so I explained to her why she should see it but told her to remember 1 thing when watching; The President is a public servant and he works for us, we do not work for him but if he tells you to study hard, stay in school and work hard to be a responsible person then I don't have a problem with it.
I also told her that if she has any questions to make sure and write them down so we can all talk about it as a family.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join