It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Twist in a Short Story Writing Contest [WINNERS ANNOUNCED]

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

I think you ARE missing the obvious...

Did you need writer status to post in the Short Story forum?

Edit to add that when you DO successfully enter the contest, you will receive Writer Status as is mentioned in the Opening Post

[edit on 24/9/09 by masqua]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Excellent, sounds like all is under control. Looking forward to that date, have a great night!

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

OK...gotcha!!

Thanks....

(Too many threads.....so little focus.....at times).

Spreading myself too thin, now and then .....

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
My entry....by "weedwhacker"

Quentin felt that discipline was key. At least, in his life, and in his narrow view. Because, Quentin was....according to some....an odd person.

A "loner", as some of his colleagues would describe him, later.

But, because of his disconnection with society, he felt safe....

He was a man who felt that timing was worth focus, in one's life. He LIVED by, and was guided by, a sense of time -- that only seemed to reside in his head.

His routine, every weekday morning, defined his view of life.

Absolute precision....part of the 'discipline' he imposed on himself. Perhaps a result of the infuence of his dominineering father, a person he only vaguely remembered....yet, the influence remained...

The routine was invariable: Wake at 0613....exactly. A quick toilet, then shower (not more than four minutes...) followed by the shave...

Clothes layed out, the previous night...ready to go. Everything planned, and organized.

"Perfect", in Quentin's view of the World....

Until....Quentin's "perfect" world was thrown into turmoil.....

An overnght power failure...and the alarm clock didn't go off, as expected. Quentin awoke, slightly disoriented....

(to be continued...)

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   

....but Quentin KNEW the various bus schedules....and was determined.

Using his memory...he planned his route, while running late, to correct for his "timing" for missing the bus he usually caught, on his regular route to work.

Quentin had it all figured out, and was supremely proud of himself....until he stepped out in front of the No. 47 Bus...which was running a few minutes late. Because of a city-wide power failure, earlier that morning....

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   

In the opening post for this contest, there are a series of rules for submission Here they are:

• Submit as a seperate thread in the Short Story forum.

• Title MUST contain [TTSSC].

• Story must contain a radical twist in the plot. It can happen in the middle or the end of the story, but I'm looking for something that takes readers by surprise. The bigger the surprise, the better chance the judges will pick your story for a winner.

• No restrictions on themes. Use any situation you like for your story line, but T&C's apply.

• Contest runs until midnight on October 4, which is a Friday.

• Submissions must contain at least 500 words.

• One story per contestant. Member can replace story submissions at any time and as often as they like. Please U2U me for replacements.

I've bolded the ones which pertain to your submission. According to the Word Count Tool, the number of words was 265, which is about half of what is required.

Secondly, you need to post it as a seperate thread in the Short Stories forum and, third, it requires [TTSSC] in the title.

You still have a week to make these changes, so it's not a problem, but, to be fair to the other contestants, I can't accept this as a submission the way it stands.

[edit on 25/9/09 by masqua]

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Note to all contestants

Please be advised that the rules indicated in the Opening post of this thread will be enforced by the panel of judges.

Your thread will be 'topped' into the contest, but by not meeting the requirements laid out, you will not be picked among the winners. Your best hope would lie in an honourable mention only.

To check on the number of words in your story, please use this easy Word Count Tool before submitting.

[edit on 25/9/09 by masqua]

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Gotcha....and thanks.

I guess I should jot it down, first, the old fashioned way, before posting.

Will flesh it out.

Again ,thanks for the critique.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I just submitted my entry and then realized something. In the rules it says the contest is open until October 4th which is Fri. Well October 4 is on a Sun, September 4th is on a Fri. I realize that it seems like everything is still going but I just wanted to make sure. If I missed it then I missed it. Just wanted to clarify either way. Thanks

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by KFISHCC

You're absolutely right, of course. Thank you for catching that. It IS a Monday, but the contest still ends in just over a week on the last minute of October 4.

Now to read your story...

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I've just submitted my entry.

It's called: Funny Thing This Deja Vu

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
The clock is ticking.

4 more days to go.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Four days left and I know there has to be more entries. This contest seemed to drag on forever. I can't wait to see what is in store for the next contest. I believe I remember someone mentioning a Halloween theme? I fear a contest like that will do irreparable damage to my thought centers.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackflap
I believe I remember someone mentioning a Halloween theme?

It's usually worldwatcher who sets up the Hallowe'en contests, so we'll need to wait until this one ends before finding out what she has planned.

I fear a contest like that will do irreparable damage to my thought centers.

Wow.
You got thought centers? You are so very fortunate. All I have is a 'thought johnny-on-the-spot'.

3 days remaining.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Yes, I understand completely. Where in the world did I come up with thought centers anyway? Just goes to show you how far they are gone already. That Halloween one will be cool I'm sure.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Already started writing a spooky one....

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

It's always good to be prepared.

I'm going to write one for Hallowe'en and, after locking myself into the 'Johnny' for extended periods, will no doubt be inspired by the odoriferous vapours rising from the dark pit below.

What horrid creatures must lurk in those murky depths? The mere thought brings goose bumps to my exposed flesh.

Cthulhu rising?

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

M
"October 4, which is a Friday. "
Can you clarify. Closing friday 2nd
or Sunday 4th?
USA EST?

Cheers Zazz

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Yes, the 4th is a Monday SUNDAY.
Silly mistake to make BUT it gives reveryone another 3 days.

All weekend to polish a story and submit it before Monday SUNDAYmidnight EST.

OMG

[edit on 1/10/09 by masqua]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

LOL

[edit on 1-10-2009 by zazzafrazz]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join