It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Obama Has Betrayed the Progressives Who Got Him Elected -- So Now What Do We Do?"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
The Link

I was reading this article and really identified with it and thought it would be a nice topic of discussion (not of Obama bashing, please).

While the new President made plans to draw down troops in Iraq (plans that include tens of thousands "residual forces,") he surged in Afghanistan and approved the use of 17,000 additional troops. Meanwhile, Obama remained silent on the issue of mercenaries including the scandal-ridden Blackwater even though "private contractors," the pretty euphemism for "private soldiers accountable to no one," now outnumber troops in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Another moment for Obama to prove he wasn't lying during campaign season approaches now that Senator Feingold has called for a flexible timetable to bring troops back from Afghanistan. Since Obama repeatedly stated during the primaries that the goal in Afghanistan was to hunt down and kill Osama bin Laden, surely he will be open to the issue of timetables since a targeted assassination doesn't require the same troop levels needed to occupy and "rebuild" an entire country.

The President's behavior on the other progressive hallmark, healthcare reform, is equally abysmal. Obama's shameful conduct has been well-documented, including the White House's agreement to oppose any congressional efforts to use the government's leverage to bargain for lower drug prices or import drugs from Canada, and the agreement not to pursue Medicare rebates or shift some drugs from Medicare Part B to Medicare Part D, which would cost Big Pharma billions in reduced reimbursements.

Holding the past administration accountable for it's illegal actions while in office. Simply did not happen.

They were nice, empty promises Obama made to get elected. Now that he's President, he has discarded the Progressives, who can either go quietly into the night, or organize, fight, and make sure their President knows the empty promises thing won't fly anymore.

I for one will NOT go quietly into the night. oh HELL no. I am not some wishy-washy, weak-assed dreamer who gets easily pushed around. I am PISSED off and by GOD they are going to hear about it.

I don't care if you don't agree with me on policy I am sure we can all agree that these bastards (politicians in general) are screwing us over and laughing all the way to the bank.

It is time we stood up and took back what is ours, the USA.

I am totally against armed anything, but I am in full support of revolution. We need a revolution in the governance of this nation. For too long have we supported career politicians who always seem to end up in bed with big business. The whore that they are are to easily tempted by money and wooed by 'power'.

They are no real leaders they are actors and thieves. Isn't it time we started treating them like it?

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
So now what do you do you ask? Well, there's an old saying "You've made your bed..."

I didn't vote for him. I saw him for what he was, or more to the point, what he wasn't.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Animal
The Link

Shouldn't that be "take back what is ours, the World"?
After all its not only the USA that exists in the world ( its not Planet America is it?- its planet Earth) nor is it the only country that the politicans are taking the pee out of?
Rant over , sorry Animal.
We are ALL In the same boat. Having a select few tell us what do to, making false promises to get elected (
, ELECTED, what a joke, they are put into place not by the people but by the companies that pay to have them in positions of power to benefit the companies not the people)

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Not trying to agitate you so don't take this the wrong way but seriously,what are you gonna do about it?
What can you do about it?
These guys have been doing this for years.
How can they be stopped?
There is no law that says they have to held accountable for their broken promises unfortunately.

You can't beat a politician without being one first is how I understand it to be.

[edit on 2-9-2009 by DrumsRfun]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Reminds me of an old joke about the politician that said, "These constituents will get one half of the pie. And those will get one half of the pie. And these guys over here will get another half of the pie."

Obama knows how to campaign. He proved that by winning.

What he has never done before, is run something. He has never had to make the hard decisions that CEO's make on a daily basis.
He is now CEO of the largest corporation on the planet. And he doesn't know what to do. His staff/administration are running the show.

And the really sad part?

They don't know how to run a business either.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Animal

My thoughts are that it's unrealistic to expect ANY president to keep 100% of their promises. None ever has. Each of us who voted for him did so with certain expectations in mind.

On the specific issues you listed:

#1 & 2 I don't recall a promise to remove troops from Afghanistan. In fact, I think he said he would increase troops there and that's just what he's done. I don't agree with it, but I can't fault him for doing what he said, even if I disagree. I want us OUT of this war. Now.

#3 As far as health care reform, he is trying to get a bill passed. Any bill. And he's got this stubborn idea that he wants to get Republican buy-in and that bothers me more than anything else. He was elected and the Democratic Congress was elected because people wanted him to get his agenda passed. He wasn't elected to play nice with those who disagreed with him and are determined to stop any progress he might make. But I think his stubbornness is leading him to make compromises with people that he shouldn't be, in my opinion. I think he feels he NEEDS to make these compromises because it's not in his nature to be a bully and just push his agenda through, as he was hired to do. He wants to be remembered as a president who worked across the aisle. And to be fair, he's been like that since he was in college, at least.

#4 Again, he's playing the front man and wants to be magnanimous, but Eric Holder has named a special prosecutor to probe CIA prisoner abuse. I think Obama is playing politics, wanting to appear to be all about unity, while prodding Holder to do something about it. I could be wrong, but it's what I thought would happen. Obama speaks of looking forward while winking at Holder to do something about it. I don't have any problem on this issue.

Obama has served 8 months of a 4 year term. I'm not at all convinced that I can make a judgment as to his success as a president or even what his plans are. He has broken a few promises, which every president has done. Anyone who thought he'd do 100% of what he said doesn't know politics at all. Or else thought he was "different" or that the Republicans wouldn't stand in his way as they have. He's also made a few compromises, which depending on your viewpoint, could be a good or bad thing. I'm not crazy about it.

But I want him to be successful. Because I share a lot of his positions. And I'm still willing to give it a couple years before I make my judgment. Good luck with your revolution.

Tracking Obama's Campaign Promises

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Now we wait for a few years and provided the country doesn't completely collapse we will 'elect' another moron who will promise the world and deliver us nothing, same as all those who came before. If the people couldn't toss Bush out in 8 years what makes anybody think they will be able to oust Obama from office? Just like every president before we will take whatever they dish out laying down and maintain the status quo.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
FISA, the Patriot Act, and his so called new transparency in government weren't even mentioned.

He promised too much and too many of us were so desperate for real change that we bought the BS lock stock and barrel. McCain was not a better choice, we really were screwed this past election season. I so wish that Hillary had won the Democratic ticket, but who really knows if she would have been a bit different.

I have lost ALL FAITH in politics...and politicians.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I don't see why you play the game of Left & Right. They have the game down pat. Why don't we start a new game or at least put some players of our own in the mix. 1/3 of the Senate seats are up in the air in 2010. Stop the Left & the Right.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Stalin/Wavy Gravy 2012 baby!!!!!!!!

SSSHCEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRHHHHOOOO!!!!

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helig
If the people couldn't toss Bush out in 8 years what makes anybody think they will be able to oust Obama from office?

I voted for Bush twice. Obama is no Bush....Jimmy Carter is more like it and he only had one term....Obama is just continuing it.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DataWraith

Originally posted by Animal
The Link

Shouldn't that be "take back what is ours, the World"?
After all its not only the USA that exists in the world ( its not Planet America is it?- its planet Earth) nor is it the only country that the politicans are taking the pee out of?
Rant over , sorry Animal.
We are ALL In the same boat. Having a select few tell us what do to, making false promises to get elected (
, ELECTED, what a joke, they are put into place not by the people but by the companies that pay to have them in positions of power to benefit the companies not the people)

Thanks for the reminder. Desipte being taught we live on Planet America I do realize this is not the case.

Sarcasm aside I do appreciate the reminder that the USA is not in this sad state of affairs alone.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
So you all are going to continue to play into the right -vs- left, dem -vs- rep, us -vs- them silliness?

There hasn't been a True progressive since the early 20th century, 100 years ago, his name was Theodore Roosevelt. HEwas a progressive. No one since has been even remotely close.

Obama is no more a progressive than Bush, Bush was no more a progressive than Clinton, and so on for the past near century.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Or else thought he was "different"

That is what he campaigned on. "Change" same thing, different word.

And I absoltuely do expect them to live up to 100% of their word...promises. Why shouldnt I? When I buy something, I expect it to be 100% of what I was told it would be. If not, I return it. In this case, cant return it, but can most certainly make sure we dont let him return.

Maybe that is one thing that is wrong with Americans. They have the mentality of defeat and want less than perfect. "Cant expect them to be 100% honest. We must expect them to be lying, manipulative, dishonerable people.

Though you are right, none of them are this way - this does not mean we should expect this of them and give them a free pass. We the people should hold them accountable and force them to be 100% honest and stop making excuses and stop saying "well thats what the others did". We pay their salary. We give them their job. We are the people who they work for and we should demand they be 100% honest and live up to their word! Nothing less.

[edit on 6-9-2009 by inked up]

new topics

top topics

join