It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

male chicks are ground up alive at an egg factory

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by StrangeBrew

It is a consequence of producing food on that scale.

I'm well aware of consequences. There isn't much we do on a massive scale (to serve own own interests) that doesn't come with consequences.

It's our "oh well" complacency to the consequences that's the problem. For the most part, if the consequences doesn't DIRECTLY affect our personal life then the hell with it. We'll rake the entire ocean floor and annihilate the rain forests as we see fit.

We make the decisions around here!

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Point of No Return

Pretty much, but thanks for playing. Mass death can be funny sometimes you were saying?

No, like I said, the absurdity of it made me chuckle.

So, I'm am pretty much a sociopath to you because, even though I stated that I'm against these practices, my lack of emotional response towards the death of these virtually non-sentient beings, makes me the same towards people by default, in your eyes.

A bit shortsighted, and a typical knee jerk response.

The whole food industry is rotten to the core, and when graphic examples like these come up, people get hypocritically infuriated and lose perspective.

Well there are people that laugh at horrific things. It's a "normal" human defense mechanism. You must be one of those huh?

[edit on 2-9-2009 by Zosynspiracy]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

"Meat is murder...tasty, tasty murder." Grow up.

When is the last time you were this worked up over the lose of 4 million aborted babies that were put through the abortion meat grinder?

perspective?

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I really don't see the difference between cutting down a 50 year old Oak tree or destroying a mountain to mine silver or gold and throwing baby chickens in a grinder. I don't see any difference between harvesting millions of fish or crabs or lobster the way we do and euthanizing these baby chickens. I'd say harvesting a 50 year old Oak tree is just as damaging to "gaia" or Mother Earth as throwing a baby chicken in a grinder. Would our creator really see a difference between the two? We are all part of this Earth and we should treat everything we take from it with respect and honor. There is no honor in having to kill 200 million baby male chickens a year. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't eat eggs. These subjects really tear me apart because I see both sides of the situation.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   

It's easy to get emotional on such topics.

Don't get me wrong, I am not in favor of unsustainable waste, abuse, or needless cruelty.

I do think you can, however, be more objective in your perspective without forswearing your empathy for other living things.

The natural world is a brutal place if you look closely enough. Humans prove the rule. We really aren't as far removed from the 'natural' order as we often would like to think.

Consider that and spend your energy opposing real examples of depravity.

Just my $0.02.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

I don't know...? Maybe you just can't empathize. I guess you will learn one day when you are crying in pain to have some sympathy for things. Human or not.

No, I can't really empathize with a little chick. It has no feelings like mine, so how could I feel like it feels?

Also, were those chicks crying in pain? Do you understand chicken? The grinder was instant death.

I have sympathy for things, like I said before I am against the whole food industry, because it is wrong and unhealthy, but I just don't get emotional from the deaths of these specific specimen.

Also, those that went into the grinder are probably better of, they are spared a lifetime of confined captivity.

[edit on 2-9-2009 by Point of No Return]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

And what are some examples of real depravity?

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Firestorm_

I'm curious as to the reasoning behind the necessity to do this...

...neither judging for or against, just curious. Seems to me, the larger the population, the better the product.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

Somehow, I don't think you really expect me to enumerate all possible depravity.

But I was generally thinking along the lines of causing suffering for pleasure. Does that work for you?

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz

If you are afraid of little chicks feelings being hurt by going into a meat grinder just remember that the little chicks death is most likely instant and suffering is kept to a microsecond of time.

www.liveleak.com...
WARNING GRAPHIC.

Doesn't look instant or a microsecond?

The live chickens at the end look like they've mistakenly fallen into one of the eggshell vats, not the grinder.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
evil bastards. makes me mad.

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
It's going to be pretty strange when TSHTF and your free range meats and veggies are impossible to find. When you're starving, I wonder how your ethics will stand up to hard times? Guess you've never been there yet!
Zindo

as opposed to what? the food they truck in for you every 3 days?

come on mate, this is the lamest argument i have herd you make.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

If you read the article it would have clued you in to why they have to destroy 200 million baby chicks. They are males. Males don't lay eggs and are fairly useless. They have no way to control breeding at this point to only produce female egg laying chickens. So do you expect them to do with 200 million male chickens a year? The article has also said instant death by grinder is approved by the "veterinary and scientific community" as being humane..........whatever that's worth.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

Well there are people that laugh at horrific things. It's a "normal" human defense mechanism. You must be one of those huh?

It's funny how people try to profile you based on a reaction that is not according the norm.

No, I'm not the kinda guy that laughs at a funeral, when I saw those birdies being dispensed from a machine like a lightbulb from the assembly line I had to laugh because it's just so bizarre that machines were designed for it.

Oh, what a maniac I am. Some of you are just too damn sensitive.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   

The natural world is a brutal place if you look closely enough. Humans prove the rule. We really aren't as far removed from the 'natural' order as we often would like to think.

Consider that and spend your energy opposing real examples of depravity.

Just my $0.02.

I appreciate your points. It's just that where I'm coming from, I see nothing natural about any of our processes anymore. They've all be mechanized into self-serving modes of wasteful destruction. We waste and work away endlessly for a "better life". We (humans) aren't natural, we continue to veer away from the natural world every chance we get. We need to produce en masse - that's how we operate. We can easily landfill the rest.

Just examples of why I want nothing to do with any of it. And thanks for your point about depravity. It so happens that I spend all my energy making sure I don't contribute to any of it.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
reply to post by Firestorm_

I'm curious as to the reasoning behind the necessity to do this...

...neither judging for or against, just curious. Seems to me, the larger the population, the better the product.

Functionally for one, it's difficult and therefore less humane to break their necks or shoot them in the first days. Especially for me, being longsighted.

A relatively small number of the birds we get at the start of each flock are "culls". They suffer from injuries or other defects that prevent them from getting enough food or water to grow adequately. Many become sick and unfit to market later, and the farmers get docked points if any of them make their way to the factory. We probably [s]could[/s] salvage a few of the sickly ones, but like many issues with industrial farming there's only so much time you can spend on a single chick when you're trying to raise at least 30,000 more in the same house

[edit on 2-9-2009 by Firestorm_]

[edit on 2-9-2009 by Firestorm_]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I have heard of this before and it makes me sick. Chickens are treated poorly anyway as a group. I am strictly vegan for that reason!

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   

It's unfortunate you don't see how the opposite is actually true with respect to some of your point.

Moreover, by viewing humanity as somehow unnatural, you actually facilitate the very callous attitude you seek to abhor.

If you can't care about humans, then what can you care about?

I think you have more thinking to do on this one. Don't let others do the thinking for you. And try to be objective.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
This is not part of the natural world. Someone putting chicks into a machine to be ground up cannot imo be compared to an animal hunting for its survival.

We don't need to eat meat every day to be healthy, there are many who say our colon is not designed for meat.

Although some historians and anthropologists say that man is historically omnivorous, our anatomical equipment ­ teeth, jaws, and digestive system ­ favors a fleshless diet. The American Dietetic Association notes that "most of mankind for most of human history has lived on vegetarian or near-vegetarian diets."
Although some historians and anthropologists say that man is historically omnivorous, our anatomical equipment ­ teeth, jaws, and digestive system ­ favors a fleshless diet. The American Dietetic Association notes that "most of mankind for most of human history has lived on vegetarian or near-vegetarian diets."

And much of the world still lives that way. Even on most industrialized countries, the love affair with meat is less than a hundred years old. It started with the refrigerator car and the twentieth-century consumer society. But even with the twentieth century, man's body hasn't adapted to eating meat. The prominent Swedish scientist Karl von Linne states, "Man's structure, external and internal, compared with that of the other animals, shows that fruit and succulent vegetables constitute his natural food." The chart below compares the anatomy of man with that of carnivorous and herbivorous animals.

When you look at the comparison between herbivores and humans, we compare much more closely to herbivores than meat eating animals. Humans are clearly not designed to digest and ingest meat

The comparisons can be found here
www.celestialhealing.net...

Although I am a vegan I would never expect anyone not to eat meat, but imo there should be compassion in farming this will not happen until intensive farming is phased out and people eat less meat.

Someone who thinks it is their right to eat meat at every meal should go out and hunt it for themselves not expect someone else to do their dirty work for them.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by dizzylizzy

Why is it vegans always feel they can control what I eat?

No one tells YOU what to eat.

Our diets are not the danger. It's your political perspective that places humanity at risk, imo.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   

It's unfortunate you don't see how the opposite is actually true with respect to some of your point.

Moreover, by viewing humanity as somehow unnatural, you actually facilitate the very callous attitude you seek to abhor.

If you can't care about humans, then what can you care about?

I think you have more thinking to do on this one. Don't let others do the thinking for you. And try to be objective.

This wasn't directed towards me but...I think the key to life is to not care about anything...be as a hurricane or tornado...volcano or lightning. These things just exist, they are part of the system, the whirl pool of everything. They are both evil and good. A hurricane doesn't go to a city in order to kill, the wind currents just direct it there. As tiesto's song "just be", that is my goal. To 'just be'. I no longer want an emotional attachment.

www.youtube.com...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join