It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"What To Do Right Now If You're Broke, And In Need"

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a great way to make money, is create some sort of homebased business... such as homeade soaps.. homeade clothes... homeade whatever. and sell it on www.etsy.com...

a LOT of people shop at etsy, its a great online site for indie homeade products.

just set up an account and the site takes a small percentage of whatever you sell, and you keep the rest of the money.

if you are a creative person, and broke... just start thinking of things to make and sell and you can make it happen.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Couple days ago I got notice that my rent is going up. So, I'm unemployed, my savings is getting ate up quick, and now my rent is going up. And I found out that my problem is inoperatable, so now I have to live with limited function in my left hand, wrist, and arm along with constant pain.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I had an emotional rollercoaster ride Thursday. I started out the day crying from all this stress. Got a phone call from Wal-mart out of town and manager wanted to interview me that day, so I was like okay. And I got yahoo map directions to the place, because I'd never been there before, and went to the job interview all excited and hopeful. Sat waiting to be interviewed and got nervous, but was excited and hopeful at the same time.

Wal-mart does interviews in a two part process on the same day. First part is department manager and second part is an assistant manager. If they hire you, they offer the position to you on the spot and send you out to a place they have for immediate drug testing. Department manager interview went well. She said at the end of the interview that she had a feeling that she would be seeing me again. I was extremely hopeful that I'd be offered the job and was on excited high. The interview with the assistant manager went bad somehow, but not sure how. This was the same man that called me into the interview in the first place. I got the brush off line of we'll call you. So, I didn't get the job. I was totally stunned. I smiled and played it off acting like I believed him to save face, but I'm familiar enough with how they do things to know I was being brushed off and lied to. I got back out to the store part and started crying again, even harder than I was before I originally got excited.

Not only did he lie to me, but he insulted me while he did it. He said he'd be interviewing people to find the most qualified. It's for people greeter. You just stand there, greeting customers as they come in, and putting stickers on any returns that come in. I have two college degrees and the manager is saying I am incapable of doing that? Wow.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa

So sorry for your bad day. Did he even hint at why? Maybe you are not old enough? LOL just trying to make you smile. I am sending a hug, you can't see it but its there.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by spiritwomyn
reply to post by Jessicamsa

So sorry for your bad day. Did he even hint at why? Maybe you are not old enough? LOL just trying to make you smile. I am sending a hug, you can't see it but its there.

Nope, no hints. He was the same manager who called me in for the interview and all the stuff from the interview he already knew going in.I dunno why he wasted my time and gas money (it was a long drive) when he already knew everything about me and he should have known he wouldn't hire me to begin with.

Thanks for the hug.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

some of those ideas seemed ok. might even give that a thought.

some businesses like to have people clean their windows. you can take newspaper and do it. hard work but no contract or anything. just go around asking people.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by trig_grl

Wow! What a generous and thoughtful offer!

We have attempted to grow our own food for two years now and are having limited success. (We are trying to do everything without purchasing items such as fertilizers and pesticides, etc. though)

I hope that anyone who takes you up on this offer understnds how much work goes into this and truly appreciates your generosity.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Here are some ideas that might help others to save some money.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is something we do to save money on our electric bill.

If you unplug ALL electric devices in your home when they are not in use, you can actually save quite a lot of money on your electric bill.

Appearantly every item that you have plugged in to an outlet will continue to draw small amounts of power even when they are turned off!

I unplug everything in our home that is not in use, even the washing machine and computers. Unplug everything.

I also realized that I only NEED one energy saver bulb in each room near my workspace to see what I am doing quite well, and if I am not in the room the light is turned off. I unscrewed all but one of the ceiling or ceiling fan lights in each room.

Our electric bill is always WELL UNDER $50 a month. (I still need to unplug everything in our detatched garage, so I should be able to get our bill even lower.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, our neighbors lost all of their frozen and refrigerated foods recently when we were snowed in without electricity for a week. We wondered why they didn't put their food outside in a box???? I saw online that some homes in past times used to have a cabinet that had vents to the outside that let cold outside air in to keep foods cool in the winter months.
This may also be helpful to some, there is a really neat website called Instructables.com. You can find lots of DIY ideas that can save you money on repairs or how to make or repurpose things rather than buying new items.
I recently joined Freecycle. This is a really nice way to get items for free and also to give items that will help out others. Just Google Freecycle for your local area.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Try searching online for recipes and home living ideas from the depresion era. I have started preparing dishes such as "Hoppin John" and soda bread to save money. There are also some really good survival recipes such as banock bread. I make banock bread using flour, baking powder and water and I cook it over my wood stove. It's really easy and good too!
(We have a little joke at our house about being cheap and easy! LOL!)
I make my own powdered laundry soap with Borax, Washing Soda and grated Fels Naptha Bar Soap. I add white vinegar to the washer for fabric softener and this also removes odors. Works fine in my H.E. Washer. I now dry everything on a home made drying rack by the fireplace.
I use white vinegar instead of costly chemical laden all purpose cleaners.
-------------------------------------------------------------
There are many people who live in alternative style housing. If you search online there are actually several websites on the topic of VAN DWELLING. Living in a van. I've also noticed lots of minihomes and campers parking at Walmart lately as the ones near me allow free 24 hour overnight parking.
I clean homes for a living and besides being a decent way to make money, it is also a good way to realize how much stuff most of us have that serves absolutely no purpose. I realized how silly it is to collect endless amounts of "stuff" that you never use and then pay somone else to clean it for you. I have gotten rid of most of our "stuff" and now, IF I purchase something, it is only items that are purposeful.

I hope some of these ideas might help someone.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join