It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ironic Banner Ads on ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I was trying to decide whether or not to post this to the Worst Ads Ever thread stickied in this forum, but I thought I'd ask other ATS members what they thought before complaining about it.

Has anyone else noticed some of the banner ads on the ATS site that are completely ironic given the subject matter being discussed? For example, I was just looking at this new thread today about how the Department of Homeland Security has a policy allowing them to confiscate computers at the U.S. border without a warrant or probable cause, and at the top of the thread was an ad for "Careers in Homeland Security". Umm.... really?

I've also seen countless adds for MSNBC political news, even though this news source is one of the most heavily-criticized for being partisan and part of the MSM brainwashing campaign.

So what gives ATS? I know ads are necessary to pay for the large amount of bandwidth this site needs, but do the ads really have to be for organizations or topics that are in direct conflict with the underlying principles of ATS members?

Anyone have any thoughts?

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I think it's funny as all hell.

It would be like discussing your staunch 'anti-abortion' views and seeing Planned Parenthood ads, huh?

It adds flavor and serves as a constant reminder that as much as we discuss, it doesn't change reality.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
For the most part the ad impressions you see around the boards are determined by the Ad Networks subscribed to, with the advertiser themselves picking and choosing which type sites, genres, etc. they wish to be represented on.

The advertisers pick and pay mostly based upon what their desired audience demographics would seem to dictate.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

I agree. I do get a good chuckle out of it now and again.

reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Yeah, I figured that, to some extent, ATS doesn't control the individual ads that come across. That's determined by the ad network they subscribe to. However, isn't it possible to customize the ads that are seen to some extent? They should, at the very least, allow you to choose which categories of ads you want on your site and which ones you don (i.e. blacklist all political news ads).

Anyway, it's not something that's going to make me leave ATS, it's just a funny observation.

[edit on 31-8-2009 by paradigm619]

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
That career in homeland security ad was on another page, not ATS. The link to the page was on ATS but the site with the ad was betanews.com

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Sorry, double post.

[edit on 31-8-2009 by paradigm619]

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by damwel

Nope. It was right here on ATS's site. I was logged out at the time when I first clicked on the thread, and there was a big ad right at the top of the page with the ad for careers in homeland security. There could be one at the Betanews.com link too, but I just checked again and it was definitely on ATS.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
i too have chuckled to see , on the same ATS page - ads for :

a burger chain - buy one get one free

a ` diet plan ` that made IMHO dangerous and illogical claims

a US state ` healthy eating ` directive that avocated ` grilled not fried ` raw fruits and vagatbles , fish not red meat

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I actually was thinking about this very same issue the other day, it doesn't necessarily bother me that much, however I think it's clear that ads of this nature on a conspiracy site does have great potential to give the wrong impression. Was this thought about or discussed by the owners... I mean this seems like it would have been easily forseeable and a paranoid reaction should have been expected.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by paradigm619

I wish I could star you for this. I've noticed it as well and felt like saying something. But then again, I love irony and agree with KSPigpen that it's funny as hell. Doesn't mean that I like them though. I just have a warped sense of humor.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
As I understand it ATS used Google Ad Sense and what that does is search for key words on a page and searches for ads matching the same words to post.

For instance an anti Homeland Security thread is started, and there might be some verbiage in the conversation that Ad Sense picks up on and displays the ad for Homeland Security. Ad Sense does not understand that one the post may be against and the ad may be for something, the logic is not that complex, it figures if certain words are used the reader may be interested in the ad it chooses to display.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Yah, the irony is pretty heavy. As much as we bitch and complain about the PTB, we are dependent on them to pay the bills for this site.

Irony from the other side is that they are shelling out money to enable people to speak up against them.

Ya gotta just shake your head sometimes.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by paradigm619

Check out the mini-banners at the very bottom of this page:

Interactive Advertising Bureau
Gorilla Nation

I suppose they arrange the Ads on these pages.

top topics

join