It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Pirate Bay Returns With Guns Blazing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/36e22b3097e6.png[/atsimg]

When The Pirate Bay was shut down yesterday many believed that this was the end for the Internet’s largest BitTorrent tracker.

However, despite the fact that the site is set to be sold later this week, the Pirate Bay team worked around the clock to serve their users in these final hours.

A mere three hours after it went offline the site reappeared from a different location, but because of technical issues at the new ISP a full comeback took almost a day. The site is back online and the tracker is expected to follow soon.

The Pirate Bay team has always anticipated an unwanted disconnection of the site. After their servers were raided in 2006 several measures were taken to ensure that the site could simply come back online from a new location in a few hours, and this is the first time that this backup plan had been executed.

With its reemergence the people behind the site hope to show the authorities and the entertainment industry that the war is not over just yet. Perhaps it’s only the beginning of a battle on a different front. The future will tell.

torrentfreak.com...

the following post made me laugh
As Of This Morning, PirateBay is HISTORY
www.abovetopsecret.com...

and
ThePirateBay.Org ISP Ordered To “Shut It Down”
www.abovetopsecret.com...

In fact it's not TPB's ISP that was ordered shut down but the ISP of the ISP.

TPB will never die!
The will of the people is greater than the will of the TPTB

[edit on 25-8-2009 by warrenb]

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
File sharing and piracy existed before the internet. You can't stop it.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Brilliant. I knew they'd recover fast. One battle won but the war still rages on

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I was under the impression that they simply sold the domain and are planning to switch it over to a 'pay site'? I don't know myself as I've only followed the story briefly, but if that's the case, it's not like it's some heroic 'sticking it to the man' thing.
I'm all for file sharing and p2p, but then again I've probably lost money myself from it. One of the films I had a lead role in got a distribution deal, and I was talking to the producer a while back and he said he had gotten emails from people saying that they had loved the film so much they had burned copies of it for all their friends... Sigh... but then again I have a hell of a music library.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
There is a possibility that piratebay will be sold. As far as I can remember the buyer's stock holders or something are going to decide that tomorrow. There was some twists and turns to it though, like how they were in debt to government etc. and the chairman resigned without any explanation.
Gizmodo has a good summary of what's going on.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
if they start pricing,alot of people will be just pissed off and swtich to another site. but i doubt they will.
the cause for free sharing is to great to be clauded by greed,no real man would let greed do that.
rock on pirates

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Good catch. Until the thread yesterday, I thought my ISP had blocked my IP from access. No PB trackers could connect. A lot of guys criticize PB, but their trackers are priceless. Flagged for thanks

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Actually the domain name for TPB is what is being sold.

The people who own TPB right now have said they will keep providing the same free service but on other domains and with even better security for the users.

Pirate Bay’s Peter Sunde has informed TorrentFreak that the site will soon decentralize and stop running a BitTorrent tracker of its own. Instead they will encourage their users to use a yet to be launched third party tracker for their torrents.

To decentralize even further, the torrents that will be listed on the site wont be hosted on The Pirate Bay’s servers anymore. In the near future the site will use a new torrent hosting service that will store the torrents for them. This new hosting service will be open to other torrent sites as well and can be accessed through an API.

In the end The Pirate Bay is making these changes to ensure that the BitTorrent ecosystem stays intact no matter what happens, Peter Sunde told TorrentFreak. By decentralizing the different aspects they hope that BitTorrent users will be less reliant on the uptime of The Pirate Bay’s servers alone. The burden will now be spread among several independently operated services.

torrentfreak.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Its always an uphill battle when you're fighting someone with a flintlock glock.

I'm not surprised that this happens, in a modest prediction, this may turn out like the Hydra. Cut one head off, get more. And more. And more. Until you have to destroy the Internet. And that is a stupid idea, your real life credibility and life expectancy would plummet as thousands of disenfranchised channers hunt you and your colleagues down.

Go Pirate Bay! S&F..

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I heard about this before. I seen it on G4, saying that it was for piracy.

You can't stop it though, so I do not see why bother to sue.

Besides, Pirate Bay is Awesome! S&F!

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

The site is being sold? To who? .. Who on earth would want to buy a site that can't even retain a service provider???

And they are right, "Piracy" will never end, the music/video corporations are far to corrupt. I pay for Rhapsody, which recognizes maybe 1 out of 5 devices to upload songs onto, can't even burn a CD without paying a dollar for a song (I have 3,200 some songs in my library, uh, that's a lot of money) .. so I will download illegally, even while paying legally to have the music. Record companies can kiss my arse.
Corrupt bastards.

top topics

join