It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Placebos Are Getting More Effective. Drugmakers Are Desperate to Know Why.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:02 AM
link   
I wonder why these scientists haven't cottoned onto to the fact that maybe we're now immune to their pharmaceuticals?
Just like anti-biotics are no longer working due to immune superbugs because of decades of overuse and abuse?

I guess it's easier to say the participants in these tests are somehow falling for the old sugar pill than to say that we've built a resistance to practically anything they can throw at us.

Wow. We are finally immune to Big Pharma!

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by deathproof
You guys are hillarious. Speaking as someone who has MS, and must take over 9-12 neurotin a day to mask "nerve pain", I'd say your "mind over matter" theory flies right out the door with my MRIs. Sometimes trials just don't work. It's a fact. Back to the drawing board...

There are 2 major medical secrets we don't understand: 1. The human brain. 2. The electricity that powers our bodies. When we understand these 2 major issues, we'll be able to heal the world, I'm sure of it.

When you deal with nuerology, they don't say it's brain surgery for nothing, right?!

I have fibromyalgia and neuropathy and i also take gabapentin/neurontin.

This was after the doctor tried the medication that they had been trained to use for these disorders a anti depressant.
Come to find out that the use of anti depressants for nerve pain and fibromyalgia was based on clinical trials in the UK done by a group of doctor payed by the insurance industry to find a drug that could be given to people with these disorders that was a older, cheap. and generic drug.

It did not mater that the drug only worked for a few people that had these disorders + depression.
It only mattered to the insurance industry that the could save money.

These doctor picked people using a screening process that loaded the drug studies with a very large % of woman with these disorders and depression.

Naturally if you have these disorders and depression you will feel better if your depression is under control even if it did nothing for the fibro and neuropathy

These doctors then wrote a glowing research report how good these drugs.
were for treating fibromyalgia and neuropathy when in many cases all they did was make depression part go away.

Even now years later after the true story of these studies has come out many doctors still believe that anti depressant work for the treatment of fibromyalgia and neuropathy.

It did not help that many of these people were told that the ONLY TREATMENT for these disorders was antidepressant.
When these people who were not depressed found they did not work few ever went back to these doctors and that reinforced the belief of these doctor that the antidepressant worked because these patents did not come back so they must be cured.

The one place that a group of doctor found out how bad this study turned out to be was with the VA health care system.
They treat veterans that have no insurance so they did not have the insurance industry pushing these treatment on then and they tried other treatment and found others like gabapentin were more effective.

The real joke is Cymbalta that is being advertised for fibro is no more effective then the other anti depressants that have been used for fibro and neuropathy.

But since its a new drug under patient the drug company that has the rights to it is making money hand over fist by getting doctor to try is on there patents.
As it takes in many cases two months to become effective and at least one month to taper off it when it does not work the drug company can genentee three month of money for this drug by every one that the doctor give it to.
a 30 day supply of Cymbalta is $251.10
so the drug company makes $750 dollars even if it does not work.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

How sad inside must these poor people be. Imagine knowing deep down inside that you are hurting thousands of people when you got in the game to help them. These "doctors" grew up wanting to help people and now they are screwing people for a quick buck. Imagine what it must feel like deep down inside everyday knowing this. In my opinion they are living the combined pain of all the people they are hurting. They think they are getting away with something but they are not. Poor docs and insurance people choose fear and greed everyday and have to live with it. Im sure the leather seats in that new mercedes feels great knowing it is lined with the pain and mistreatment of thousands of veterans. Really I feel very sorry for them.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by bringthelight

How sad inside must these poor people be. Imagine knowing deep down inside that you are hurting thousands of people when you got in the game to help them. These "doctors" grew up wanting to help people and now they are screwing people for a quick buck.

I'm sure many docs grow up wanting to help people, but I'm also sure that jusr as many if not more are only in it for the status, money, and job security. They are all bright and competitive people, science-minded...being a doctor is a logical choice for people with such minds, even if they don't give a hoot in a high wind about "helping people." Lots are pushed into the profession by obsessive parents. Its very competitive and full of pathological narcissists who relish the mistique of the white coat, the genuflecting nurses, and the words "yes, doctor."

Also, many, many MANY doctors have extremely messed-up family and private lives. It seemed to me growing up that doctors' kids were second only to preachers' kids in terms of their messed-upped-ness.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I wonder if there is a corrolation between the explosion of drugs and ailments over the last 20 years or so. Nowdays there is a drug to cure problems that never before existed, and quite frankly may not even exist.

For example, lets say you're in a slump. nowdays you have many options of different "magic pill" cures to try and in the age of big pharma you have many doctors with "incentives" to sell them to you. What is you just needed to be convinced that your mood is elevated, wah-lah prozac, and then it turns out that the sugar pill was all thats needed.

Misdiagnosis in a big pharma/doctor kickback push to sell pills.

I liked the placebo knee surgery, lets say you have some everyday aches and pains and a friend mentions that he had a friend who had that same thing and got surgery and it was fixed. Better still you see a commercial that toughts this surgery to cure your problem. So you go to the doctor who fakes it and what do you know, your cured.

I think part of the problem is sort of a reverse placebo effect that we are bombarded with any time the TV is on, which gets the mind thinking that you might need the wonder cure, which in turn causes the symptoms to get worse as you think about needing the cure, then you get, or think you get the cure and yay, it works.

I'm sure sometimes there are real needs for proper medicine but big pharma is more about profit medicine and in those cases it's more than tricking you into thinking you need to buy something then tricking you into thinking you're cured, it's about lining pockets.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I tend to agree. Whenever I see someone doing something that goes against human nature, i try not to judge. I think they were once a baby, pure and innocent. Then they were put in situations, whether it be the parents or the environment, that shapes and changes them. These poor people are so scared for their own security and self image that they would commit such acts that at a deep level go against what they know to be right. These acts will have implications that will bring their realities crashing down but to each their own.

People do the best they can relative to their outlook on the world. If they knew better and what they were doing to not only the people but themselves, they would change

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlienChaser

For example, lets say you're in a slump. nowdays you have many options of different "magic pill" cures to try and in the age of big pharma you have many doctors with "incentives" to sell them to you. What is you just needed to be convinced that your mood is elevated, wah-lah prozac, and then it turns out that the sugar pill was all thats needed.

I really believe thats all thats needed. More and more I am starting to see that your mind and your deep down beliefs are what determines your reality. Im not talking about you just saying oh "Im cured my knee dosent hurt anymore", deep down you are doubting as its coming out of your mouth. But when people are handed an all powerful pill, they truly believe that they are going to be cured and they are.

We literally have scientific proof of this point and big pharma will do anything they can and spend any amount of money to try and fix it. But guess what, you cant fix the entire population of earth waking up to the fact that their minds are more powerful than we have been lead to believe. The hundredth monkey effect is changing the reality for us and its amazing to see.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
There are many doctors who practice two kinds of medicines. That would be chemical and surgical for a certain type of patient being the first one and holistic and natural for another type of patient being the second one.

I have had doctors point blank bluntly tell me you don’t need a pill you don’t need an operation you need to make these lifestyle modifications and attitude adjustments as follows and then state what they feel those should be.

I have had the same doctors say, your condition is real, what is ailing you is real. If you were that person sitting in my waiting room with the same condition you have you would need a pill. If you were that person sitting in my waiting room with the same condition you have you would need surgery. You though are capable of healing yourself.

Don’t ask me how or why but some long practicing doctors of an honest nature have been able to do two things as a result of their extensive experience. One is to understand the ineffectiveness and intrusive damage the practice of their craft actually does to the human body often doing more harm than good. Two is that they have been able to become astute and quick judges of human character and intellect through so many interactions with different people who come to them in crisis mode.

Physician heal thy self is not something they can say to too many people without risking a lawsuit. I usually get second and third opinions when something is really ailing me and have had other doctors bristle when I tell them of the physicians that tell me what is ailing me can be cured with lifestyle and attitude changes. The first thing they say is you should file a suit against them, then they launch into how irresponsible and reckless it was of the doctor.

This is the actual flawed conventional wisdom entrenched in the public and a large portion of the medical community.

I always have chosen to go with the honest doctor who tells me the truth. The truth being that I can heal myself. Sometimes it takes a while. Sometimes it takes some experimentation with various forms of meditation and relaxation techniques but ultimately I do end curing myself instead of just masking the symptoms with pharmaceuticals or cutting out a perfectly fine portion of my body simply because it’s troubling me through surgery.

When I do finally cure myself the doctors take real pride in that accomplishment and it becomes a source of true joy to them. They actually were able to fulfill their Hippocratic Oath and help to heal me, instead of just putting me on a regimen of drugs to mask my symptoms in perpetuity and or to mar and desecrate my body through surgery.

Thanks to an instilled atmosphere of ignorance perpetuated by the attorneys and insurance industry who look to profit immensely and insanely off of the administering of medicine and the pharmaceutical companies most real Doctors aren’t free to do their jobs and share what they really know without risk of lawsuit. The bad and inexperienced Doctors don’t much care, tragically the good and experienced doctors very much do and lament that their hands are so tied.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
So...

With that said... here are some great placebos for ya...

1. Whisky not only prevents H1N1 but cures cancer... as does Turmeric in Curries
2. Belief is he fundamental element of reality
3. YOU ARE YOUR OWN GOD!

I'm an Autotheist

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
The incredible power of the human mind, we have denied and banned from the developing of these abilities by those that seek to make profits.

While at the same time the profit makers engage in campaigns to actually target the human way of thinking and the human mind for their sole purpose of make benefit.

We as human has not been allowed to reach enlightenment because even that can be profitable.

As a species we are going backward rather than advancing our potentials.

Even the cavemen were able to understand the power of nature and the environment for their survival

While we the modern day humans seem not to stand a change to our own modern environmental changes without the help of the PIG pharma.

Perhaps is light at the end of the tunnel after all.

<< 1  2   >>

join