It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Placebos Are Getting More Effective. Drugmakers Are Desperate to Know Why.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Placebos Are Getting More Effective. Drugmakers Are Desperate to Know Why.

www.wired.com

Some products that have been on the market for decades, like Prozac, are faltering in more recent follow-up tests. In many cases, these are the compounds that, in the late '90s, made Big Pharma more profitable than Big Oil. But if these same drugs were vetted now, the FDA might not approve some of them. Two comprehensive analyses of antidepressant trials have uncovered a dramatic increase in placebo response since the 1980s. One estimated that the so-called effect size (a measure of statistical significance) in placebo groups had nearly doubled over that time.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 24-8-2009 by bringthelight]

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
This is a big uh-oh for Big Pharma with some amazing implications.

It seems that the sugar pills that are being given to test the effectiveness of the actual new drug, are having increasingly better results than the drugs themselves!

It is finally being realized that the human body is far more powerful than any drug these mega-corporations can come up with! These companies are scrambling to get to the bottom of this dilemma because it would mean a crap-ton of angry shareholders.

Truly amazing stuff. Many prophecies point twords humans realizing their true potential and gaining abilities that were considered to be magic in the past.

This could qualify as one of those abilities. More humans are starting to wake up to the fact that we are just scratching the surface of the abilities of the body and mind. We are told through marketing that these drugs will help us but, there is a chance of a few life threatening side effects. I laugh out loud at some of the side effects listed and im sure many of you do too.

The article is pretty long but it is extremely interesting and has amazing implications. Here is the last paragraph which sums it all up pretty well.

"Ironically, Big Pharma's attempt to dominate the central nervous system has ended up revealing how powerful the brain really is. The placebo response doesn't care if the catalyst for healing is a triumph of pharmacology, a compassionate therapist, or a syringe of salt water. All it requires is a reasonable expectation of getting better. That's potent medicine."
~Wired Magazine

www.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I don't think drugmakers are honestly worried about sugar pills.

They are literally making a killing on producing what ever it is they claim to be an effective counter ailment response. Not only are they greedy, but their response to medical competitors would be to make, "brand name", placebos.

Maybe a few hundred years ago, curing ailments was the quest to help people, but now it's about who has the rights to the formula, and the creation process.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by iHateMasses

If you read the article they say it is happening at alarming rates. Many drugs are not making it past phase II testing because they are not beating the placebo. They cant make designer placebos because they have to disclose whats in the actual drug. They cant market sugar pills as medicine and sell them at $100 a bottle, so in essence if this trend continues, they are screwed.

Another piece of evidence that shows your state of mind helps to creates your reality.

And I completely agree with you its all about money and not helping people as it originally started.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Another quote from the article

Why are inert pills suddenly overwhelming promising new drugs and established medicines alike? The reasons are only just beginning to be understood. A network of independent researchers is doggedly uncovering the inner workings—and potential therapeutic applications—of the placebo effect. At the same time, drugmakers are realizing they need to fully understand the mechanisms behind it so they can design trials that differentiate more clearly between the beneficial effects of their products and the body's innate ability to heal itself. A special task force of the Foundation for the National Institutes of Health is seeking to stem the crisis by quietly undertaking one of the most ambitious data-sharing efforts in the history of the drug industry. After decades in the jungles of fringe science, the placebo effect has become the elephant in the boardroom.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Well this doesn't surprise me at all, and rather expected something along these lines to come about

My thoughts? It's related to the 100th monkey syndrome. Enough people have bene on these drugs for a long enough period of time that our brains have "figured out" what the drugs are purposed for, and have adapted to be able to do them themselves.

Investigate
I would say with 90% certainty that is what has happened, and will keep on happening.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I think the answer is simple.. we teach people that pills are the magic answer.. so you take a pill when your sad and you suddenly brighten up because you think the pills making you feel better.. it's a mental kick in the arse to get you out the door.. even if it's only a sugar pill.

I knew a guy who took herbal supplements that told him he would grow muscle faster.. it really wasn't anything more than a "once a day" vitamin supplement, but he swore it helped.. of course the working out once a day was the real source of his success, the pill was the subconscious motivation.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
It's all in the mind.

An interesting test would be having two groups both taking sugar pills. The first group is told practically nothing, just heres a pill to make you better.

The second group on the other hand, has to go through an extensive talk about the 'power of the pill'. I.E. Make up a bunch of information about how much money was spent,years of research, amazing success in previous clinical trials.

You tell someone you're giving them the best pill ever made, they will produce the results on their own, even versus other people who are taking the same pill but don't believe in it.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
It's easy!
Illness are not what we think.

SNC

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jomina
Well this doesn't surprise me at all, and rather expected something along these lines to come about

My thoughts? It's related to the 100th monkey syndrome. Enough people have bene on these drugs for a long enough period of time that our brains have "figured out" what the drugs are purposed for, and have adapted to be able to do them themselves.

Investigate
I would say with 90% certainty that is what has happened, and will keep on happening.

I agree...critical mass. Its just amazing to me that a thought can have such an affect on our physical reality. Its like the observer effect as well. I see science and spirituality getting closer and closer everyday.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Or more simply, products like Prozac were never effective, datas were faked and the products well advertised allowing the Big Pharmas to cash in.

Prozac, the bestselling antidepressant taken by 40 million people worldwide, does not work and nor do similar drugs in the same class, according to a major review released today.

The study examined all available data on the drugs, including results from clinical trials that the manufacturers chose not to publish at the time. The trials compared the effect on patients taking the drugs with those given a placebo or sugar pill.

When all the data was pulled together, it appeared that patients had improved - but those on placebo improved just as much as those on the drugs"

Read more: The Guardian

Research article: Initial Severity and Antidepressant Benefits: A Meta-Analysis of Data Submitted to the Food and Drug Administration at PLoS Medicine

Prozac Placebo

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by king9072
It's all in the mind.

An interesting test would be having two groups both taking sugar pills. The first group is told practically nothing, just heres a pill to make you better.

The second group on the other hand, has to go through an extensive talk about the 'power of the pill'. I.E. Make up a bunch of information about how much money was spent,years of research, amazing success in previous clinical trials.

You tell someone you're giving them the best pill ever made, they will produce the results on their own, even versus other people who are taking the same pill but don't believe in it.

That would be interesting to see. I truly think that some of the more successful pills like fat burners, have an effect because of the graphics on the television commercials. It shows CGI of the pill breaking up and attacking all of the fat cells. The better the visuals and marketing are, the better the results.

People take the pill and envision this in their heads and poof! If you truly believe deep down you are going to loose weight...you will. Again, we are scratching the surface of what intention and focus can do.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Thanks for the article. Amazing stuff, I knew we'd get to this some day.

This reminded me of this other thread awhile back about how someone completely changed their diet from smoking drinking to only healthy foods (and im talking really healthy not just organic crap in the store) and basically changed the way they even look. Thread Here

I believe its all in the diet. I've been craving more fresh vegetables from the garden than foods I usually love lately.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be funnier if we were to discover quantifiable proof that the human body is capable of repairing itself without the need for chemical interference? That the medical industry has either been 'led by the nose' or otherwise hoodwinked into practicing the art as if chemical science were what was lacking in the overall scheme of post-industrial life?

I don't know. Just seems like it would be funnier....

[edit on 24-8-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Tom Cruise would love that

Seriously though...this could be the beginning of that discovery. I think stress from the world we live in today is the #1 cause of disease, I have seen it first hand.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Manouche

Don't interrupt our rant with your logic, dangit!

Absolutely possible, of course, and I considered that, as well. But it's more than just one drug or study showing these results... would have to be a whole lotta fudging going on lol

Which, again, would not surprise me at all

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Manouche

The Pharma companies know it to be true themselves and freely admitted it. They try to create a placebo effect with the use of good marketing. Im sure the data has been messed with a little as well as billions of dollars are at stake.

But why would the placebo effect seem to be getting stronger worldwide? Part of the answer may be found in the drug industry's own success in marketing its products. Potential trial volunteers in the US have been deluged with ads for prescription medications since 1997, when the FDA amended its policy on direct-to-consumer advertising. The secret of running an effective campaign, Saatchi & Saatchi's Jim Joseph told a trade journal last year, is associating a particular brand-name medication with other aspects of life that promote peace of mind: "Is it time with your children? Is it a good book curled up on the couch? Is it your favorite television show? Is it a little purple pill that helps you get rid of acid reflux?" By evoking such uplifting associations, researchers say, the ads set up the kind of expectations that induce a formidable placebo response.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Doctor does fake surgeries on severe knee arthritis patients and gets amazing results.

Our minds and basic subconscious beliefs determine our physical realities. This is being proven to me more and more each day. Amazing stuff.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by bringthelight

Ayahuasca shamanism cures all psychoactive disorders(so they say). '___' has the ability to fire off all your neuro connectors doesnt it? So that gives your brain the ability to finish all the thought holding it back doesnt it? It replaces oxygen in your cell receptors or so ive read. So does that benefit your immune system as well? Pineal gland.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be funny if sugar turned out to be the magic "drug"?

Big Pharma to Big Farming...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join