It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suicide in a town called Hope

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Demoncreeper
Rambo: First Blood was filmed in Hope.

2nd line.

That's pretty cool, everyday I prove the saying "you learn something new everyday" correct. Thanks for that tidbit
I'll remember not to blink the next time I drive through the town.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Hope is a small town, somewhere you go when you don't want to be noticed (opposite of a city)...

I guess we keep different company.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
White Mercedes?

How does it tie into modern myth???

white mercedes 30 up, 10 down love it hate it

A kind of ecstasy that will # you up. It gets its name from the mercedes emblem on the front side of the pill.
www.urbandictionary.com...

If myth is history then history is myth.

Fat Jesus

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   
How did this convicted sex offender get onto a reality dating show in the first place?

I bet he was friends with one of the producers.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Death + Hope in the media today...

Baitullah’s death, Swat offensive has given people hope: Qureshi
www.dailytimes.com.pk...\08\26\story_26-8-2009_pg7_26

In Kennedy's death, some see hope for healthcare
www.miamiherald.com...

Democrats hope Kennedy's death will break impasse
www.smartbrief.com... 2B7

Lots of other Death'''hope headlines...

But of course I have no idea if the ratio is higher then it was a month ago although it is higher since the start of this thread.

i know it is a strange little experiment and i understand that it is in no way scientific but I wonder if these terms will become a meme??

A meme is term that was introduced by Hawkins back in 1976. An modern example would be the recently observed behavior of the Apes/ Monkeys in Japan washing their food in the Ocean before they eat it.
It was a learned behavior that is now taught in the tribe or troop.

Life-forms can transmit information vertically (from generation to generation) via replication of genes or horizontally through viruses and transposons. Memes can replicate vertically or horizontally within a single biological generation. They may also lie dormant for long periods of time. Memes spread by the behaviors that they generate in their hosts. Imitation counts as an important characteristic in the propagation of memes. Imitation often involves the copying of an observed behaviour of another individual, but memes may transmit from one individual to another through a copy recorded in an inanimate source, such as a book or a musical score. Researchers have observed memetic copying in just a few species on Earth, including hominids, dolphins and birds (which learn how to sing by imitating their parents or neighbors).[9]

Some commentators have likened the transmission of memes to the spread of contagions.[10] Social contagions such as fads, hysterias and copycat suicides exemplify memes seen as the contagious imitation of ideas. Observers distinguish the contagious imitation of memes from instinctively contagious phenomenon such as yawning and laughing, which they consider innate (rather than socially learned) behaviors.[9]
en.wikipedia.org...

Using the Myth of hope in the Kennedy piece as well as the Kennedy myth and then this author ties this to Jimi Hendrix...

But what Senator Ted Kennedy's passing did for me, was first to remind me of what his brother said about HOPE:

"Each time a person stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, these ripples build a current that can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance. " — Robert F. Kennedy

My hope is that Senator Kennedy's passing will reignite a spirit of HOPE that comprehends that "HOPE has two children. The first is ANGER at the way things are. The second is COURAGE to DO SOMETHING about it."-St. Augustine

And then I recalled a song Jimi Hendrix did at Woodstock that very same year:
Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Child - Woodstock 1969:
www.paltelegraph.com...

This is from Palestine.

The Kennedy myth and the archetype of death and hope work hand in glove.

Almost like reading tarot.

[edit on 27-8-2009 by whiteraven]

Death and Hope seem to be building tonight.

Here is a weird one...

Employees Won't Face Charges in Chaplain's Death

Read Full Report

Related Stories:
Twin Cities Priest Injured in Iraq Dies

Funeral Held for Priest Wounded in Iraq

MDH: Investigation Finds Neglect in Chaplain's Death
Two nursing home employees will not face charges in connection with the death of military chaplain Rev. Tim Vakoc.

According to a report released by the Minnesota Department of Health earlier this week, Vakoc fell out of a mechanical lift while being transferred by two staff members at St. Therese Care Center in New Hope. As a result, Vakoc hit his head and died a short time later at North Memorial Medical Center in Robbinsdale.
kstp.com...

Death in New Hope???

many others..

So if you googled this phrase a few days ago I saw almost no news story's...then after the murder and suicide in Hope BC a "peak??" in this meme...?

I will continue this very unscientific look into what I understand as a Meme and an Archetype.

[edit on 27-8-2009 by whiteraven]Another interesting onekstp.com...

Death Row's reprieve
Dr. Dre's The Chronic: Re-Lit marks the beginning of the now-Toronto–based company's revival

* Favourite
o Add to your favorite Add to favourite
o
* Recommend: 1 Recommend

BY Chris Bilton August 26, 2009 16:08

Legendary west-coast hip-hop label preps its first release under new, Toronto-based (and Suge-free) management

working with E1 on sorting through the contracts, Lavi's hope is that in due time, Death Row artists will actually get paid the royalties they are due, ...
death and hope meme

[edit on 27-8-2009 by whiteraven]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Death and Hope in the news today...

Again lots of articles today with the centre piece or even the title of death plus hope...

Here are three that I sense a developing meme of death and hope.

Does death worry you? Are you or a loved one dealing with death? Hope is found in these truths of God. COMMENTING ETIQUETTE: To encourage open exchange of ...
www.bclocalnews.com...

The above article is strait up, served with ice.

This article made my hairs stand on end...

A Shocking Fall

by Egon von Greyerz – Matterhorn Asset Management

This month we will discuss what is likely to be a major change both in sentiment and in the economy in the next few months. The autumn of 2009 will be full of shocking surprises in the banking sector, in financial markets and in the world economy. The events that we outlined in our previous newsletter, “The Dark Years Are Here” are going to start unfolding. There will also be shocking falls in stockmarkets, in the dollar and in bond markets. But these falls will create major opportunities for investors which we will also discuss.

The syndrome of hope and false expectations
matterhornassetmanagement.com...

And last of all this article...

... which rekindled the hope for lasting peace in the region. After Rabin's assassination and Arafat's death, however, the peace talks, which continued off ...
news.xinhuanet.com...

Again this is skunk works.

This is a personal look into what "poped" out to mean as a approaching meme when reading the article concerning the infamous murder which is why i started this crazy thread in skunk works.

What I find interesting is how "death and hope" center around Kennedy whose two brothers were assassinated. I remember hearing that when Bobby told his father that he was going to run for President that his father said nothing. He hung his head as if knowing that Bobby would be the same fate as JFK. Anyhow death and hope center around the assassination meme in the above article concerning Rabin.

In those articles the Kennedy's as well as Netanyahu are using the meme of a heroic death to push forward what they consider a positive agenda.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Well this whole death and hope thing seems to be prevalent in a subdued tone in the news.

I do not know of it is a meme as of yet but it is getting strange.

On the weekend a lady in BC was given her sentence over the stabbing/murder/death of her two year old daughter Hope.

Also...

US trailer park death toll rises
The property at New Hope Plantation trailer park
The trailer park is described as a peaceful, low-crime community

An eighth person has died following an attack in a mobile home in the US state of Georgia, police say.

Glynn County Police Chief Matt Doering named the victim as Michael Toler, 19.

He was one of two people critically injured in the attack at New Hope Plantation trailer park in Brunswick on the Georgia coast.
news.bbc.co.uk...

This is weird...

which reports that the pastor continues to encourage his parishioners to join him in praying for the president's death. "I hope that God strikes Barack ...
www.foxnews.com...

... Huesuda" (The Bony Lady) becomes by default the only hope the living have. Of course. We are Mexicans, and our affinity for Death runs deeper than hope.
www.sfgate.com...?blogid=92&entry_id=46532

Unscientific look at a hunch.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join