It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are we scared of spiders?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Good question and actually I've been wondering the same lately myself, I can stand full grown black bears, bobcats, Tasmanian devils, lions, cougars, cheetahs, all types of animals that can easily kill me, in fact I admire most, but a ****ing spider scares the ever living **** out of me and makes me yell like a little girl... not even exaggerating, I understand we yell to release fear and that's just what I do because when I see a spider, any size, any type, crawling on or by me I freak the **** out and want to get away as soon as possible.

I do not know why, it's just the way I've always been, I presume it's the way for other humans as well. There are just some things we are naturally afraid of, until we learn to come over the phobia at hand then we're simply not scared anymore... but until then, we're just terrified.

And it is kind of irrational when you think about it, theyre so small, and probably(Obviously) more afraid of us then we are of them, we look like absolute giants to them, even gods, and as gods we pretty much always have the power to (quite) easily take their lives if need be.. but yet we're still terrified.

Pretty odd, yeah.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
This might sound a little strange, and, maybe farfetched, but...I read "The Mars Records", and while this Michael Relfe didn't remember going until someone started asking questions with a biofeedback meter. And it was pretty astonishing with what she found out with it. By the way, I am terrified of spiders, don't know why, EWWW!! I'm sitting here and have the ebie geebies! Yuck. I just killed a little tiny one a few minutes ago, I did not want him/her in my apartment period!! Don't care if it was tiny, still a pider!! Anyway, back to "The Mars Records". During the sessions, with all that was done to him on Mars, one of them was an ancient species of spider that the greys had captured and forced it to be connected to a subject for mind control. A spider with a consciousness? Kind of an EBE of sorts. Weird, but if it is ancient, maybe that is why a "lot" of us have this fear of these creepy crawlers.

Here is the site:

www.metatech.org...

You'll see it, good website by the way. "The Mars Records" is a free downloadable book, there are others for free too. You might find it interesting.

[edit on 9/5/2009 by stardust1955]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
You know im not sure. But im deathly creeped out by spiders. I can handle anything else but spiders. Too many legs!

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Here's an article about a shawl made from the thread of Madagascan Orb Spiders - over million of them. They had to be put into tiny harnesses so they didn't eat each other

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Apparently, fresh conkers scare off spiders. Here's an article explaining it all. Scientists are about to investigate if this old wives' tale is true or not.

Plus, there is a cash prize if you can provide evidence of spiders being deterred by conkers

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
i think we are scard of spiders for numbers of reasons the way they feel when touched by one you get the shivers and after you get it off you still feel on edge second is some can kill you 3 some perents are scard of them and pass there fear down to you 4 is (dont know if this is true) they have a smell that can you fear it like a dogs bark it uses it on its pray to make it go into a feared mode making it a easy target for the spider and are bodys can pick it up if a dog sees one it will bark at it and then eat it or a bird they all do the same some believe they are scard of conkers for this very reason because it has the same smell but only they can smell ps you will never see a spider on a conker tree it would be like us living on a spiders web fear would get the better of us

ps if you want to get rid of spiders in your home place some conkers around it as all studes have shown so far there scard of them

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
LOL Not just a few weeks ago a baby spider dropped right down in front of my GF's nose while watching tv. We found about 20 of them as they descended from the ceiling and 15 hiding in the corner. She didn't sleep well...

I think a spider is simply foreboding to look at. It can come to represent feelings, things in us and about the world that are repulsive. LOL imagine if there were huge spider aliens...it would be difficult to sit and talk with them without appearing prejudiced and a galactic racist.

[edit on 17-10-2009 by SmokeandShadow]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I don't have a phobia about spiders, but sometimes I'm startled by the big ones. I just carefully collect them in a cup and put them outside. I have had some pretty close encounters with these critters. One night I woke up and felt something crawling across my face and it came to rest over my eye. When I saw what it was, it didn't half make me jump.

The best way to overcome fear is to confront it head on.
Here's a cool website for those who are afraid of spiders.

Warning - clicking this link might make you jump.

www.onemotion.com...

Ahh! Aint it cute, your own personal virtual pet spider to play with.

Deal with insects and spiders humanely.
www.amazon.co.uk...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1261690121&sr=8-4

[edit on 24-12-2009 by kindred]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I think its lack of understanding. The fear of the unknown rather than fear of the spider itself. You hear a lot of stories about poisonouse ones and so when you see one. Your flight reflex kicks in just in case it could be. Its quite irrational really. Like a previouse post said. He has no problems with Daddy long legs because he knows they cant bite. But anything else is creepy.

I think if you edecated yourself about the spiders of your region or country you would lose some of the freakout factor.

I should realy take my own advice on this because im freaked out by them too. I woke up with one crawling across my chest once and since that day we dont get along. Another theory is that the fears been passed down through the generations from way back when we were still living in forests in Africa. Kind of like how fire still makes people feel at home and safe in a strange way.

If someones already said any of this im sorry but ten pages is a lot reading

[edit on 24-12-2009 by Algebra]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I was always quite happy to ask someone else to remove a spider from the room I was in, I dont like them but wouldnt say I was afraid of them, problem solved. I have a story about another bug that have an avid fear of though. A fear so strong that my legs would take over and I would run from the room it was in.

I grew up with my grandfather, a coal miner here in Scotland. All the houses or "miners rows" as they were called had coal fires in their kitchens and living rooms. People used a small sharp axe to split wood to start the fires in the morning and the smell of the wood burning with the new coal still lingers with me today all these years later.

Picture if you will.... I was 7 years old and my grandfather told me to go fetch a couple of wooden frames from 2 old dining chairs that a neighbour had thrown out. Because it was raining outside I brought them into the kitchen which had a stone floor to split into kindling for starting the fire the next morning.

I used the blunt end of the axe to hit and seperate the dove-tail joints that were holding the frames together and on the second hard bash it happened...

There were literally hundreds of earwigs falling from the frame. They had been in the joints and were scurrying all over the floor. My bashing had freed them.

Blind panic took over I ran from the kitchen while at the same time throwing the axe through the kitchen window. I didnt stop running, screaming and shaking till I was 20 meters from the house and was so traumatised that the local doctor was called.

40 odd years later and I cant be in the same room with an earwig although now Ive learned just to walk out and not run screaming.

I tell my self my behaviour is illogical and that they wont harm me, but it makes no diffirence. The fight or flight kicks in, my heartrate goes through the roof, I sweat and my legs start moving themselves.

Respects

[edit on 24-12-2009 by captiva]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Sorry if it's already been mentioned....
but in psy101 I believe they taught us that when measuring bodily reactions to images, the spider and the snake were the ones to cause the highest response. Vs. those of guns and more modern threats. Perhaps there is a memory in our DNA which over time forms stronger connections for fear.

ie. spiders and snakes have been killing us longer than guns.

[edit on 24-12-2009 by seagrass]

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagrass Sorry if it's already been mentioned.... but in psy101 I believe they taught us that when measuring bodily reactions to images, the spider and the snake were the ones to cause the highest response. Vs. those of guns and more modern threats. Perhaps there is a memory in our DNA which over time forms stronger connections for fear.

ie. spiders and snakes have been killing us longer than guns. [edit on 24-12-2009 by seagrass]

No, No, No! That is just pure BS. Sorry, but there it is. Why do people always have to put a label on something they so very clearly do not understand?

This is how I see it. A punk with a gun, you can shoot back at or run away and hide from!

Likewise a snake will only strike if it is cornered, stepped on or just having a bad skin day!

Spiders on the other hand, just crouch down in a dark corner until you forget about it.

Then it comes out and starts to hunt us down. Nature of the beast, to hunt humand and frighten them.

Why alse would it have 8 legs and all those eyes?

They don't need that legs to walk along their webs. They dont need that many eyes to locate a fly on it's web.

No my friend. They are used for hunting. Hunting humans.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
have you ever watched a spider build a web?
Pure mathematical artistry. Barring wind I think it could almost be perfect.
Spiders can be quite calm. Going about their business catching their own food and being self-sufficient. Weaving and waiting so patiently.
Spiders will defend themselves just like humans.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I am not afraid of them.
Sorry, it's just one line, but the title implies that "we" ARE afraid of them.
And I am not.

(Chickens, on the other hand... that's a different story.
But then, it's common knowledge they are VICIOUS.)

[edit on 25-12-2009 by Vanitas]

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by berenike

That is totally AMAZING!
You always seem to find the most interesting articles...!

I think it would have deserved a thread of its own, though.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas
I am not afraid of them.
Sorry, it's just one line, but the title implies that "we" ARE afraid of them.
And I am not.

(Chicken, on the other hand... that's a different story.
But then, it's common knowledge they are VICIOUS!)

and geese. omg they are frightening! and sneaky.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagrass

Exactly - it's the sneaky part that always gets to me...!
Which is why I also avoid snails.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Spiders.
I love 'em.
I mean, just look at this face!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1d653ff736f9.jpg[/atsimg]

They are living miracles right down to their cute little toes...

peace

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas

Originally posted by seagrass

Exactly - it's the sneaky part that always gets to me...!
Which is why I also avoid snails.

My mom caught me eating snails in the backyard in California when I was a baby. Have you ever stepped on one? It's worse than dog poo and you can't get it off!

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
Spiders.
I love 'em.
I mean, just look at this face!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1d653ff736f9.jpg[/atsimg]

They are living miracles right down to their cute little toes...

peace
Don't show that to my daughter.. she would want one.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join