It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are we scared of spiders?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
There is something strange about spiders. Perhaps it's the amount of legs, like it's some kind of advantage

Having said that... I have to admit that I always liked them. When some jumps in front of me I always have a strong reaction but I'm the one in my house that always hides them in-between glasses and some kind of paper and takes them away.

I don't remember when I've killed a spider. I just like them. They're misunderstood. I kill lots of flies though

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
These are the spiders you should be afraid of.

There are 6 of them and they have been visiting areas of importance and high visibility all over the world. Maman has been sighted in Paris, Boston, London, Washington, D.C., the Hague, Art Museums, shopping centers.

Revelation of Method.

Everyone has had a chance to know that Maman is watching and waiting.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I don't have any childhood experiences as to why I'm afraid of spiders. In fact as long as i have known spiders i have always been afraid of them. I've never been bitten by one at all. In fact, i don't think i've had one crawl on me while i was conscious anyway. All i know is that when i see a black 8 legged freak going up the side of my bedroom wall i'm going to scream for help or take a chance with my great baseball skills and throw a shoe at it.

I hate that feeling when you know you didnt kill it and you're wondering where the bugger possibly could be. Spiders can all drop dead.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
hmm I hope this thing's slow

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

Beautiful!

(Although a friend of mine commented it should probably be called maman-in-law...)

[edit on 26-12-2009 by Vanitas]

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by krzyspmac

hmm I hope this thing's slow

It "has been sighted in Paris, Boston, London, Washington, D.C., the Hague, Art Museums, shopping centers"...

What do you think?

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Debsturrs

I became afraid of spiders when I was 6. I brought some autum leaves from the yard inside the house. I thought the amber color was pretty and I wanted to keep them.
I put the leaves on the floor next to my bed and went to sleep. A couple of hours later I awakened only to see the leaves transform into crunchy leafy spiders! I watched the leaves crawl out my room and into the bathroom down the hall.
The funny thing is I use pick spiders up and even drop ants into their webs to feed them before that night.

I still to this day believe it was real. But it was most likely a very vivid dream. But ever since that night I have been extremely afraid of spiders.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by krzyspmac

Nice of you to like spiders.
But flies like to live, too, you know?

They only have one life, too.

This may be OT, but what the heck... Instead of killing them, why not put a pot of basil in the room? Or put a few drops of basil essential oil in a diffuser.

Flies HATE the aroma of basil.
In humans, however, it brightens the mood and improves concentration.

Now that would be killing two flies at the same time.

(I know the English expression is different, "killing two birds with one stone", but I am using my grandmama's expression - for obvious reasons...
)

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I haven't read through this long thread, but I'm scared of spiders because:

1. Some of them are poisonous.

2. I can't tell which ones are poisonous and which ones aren't.

3. The poisonous ones can make chunks rot out of a person's skin or make him/her go into cardiac arrest and die.

4. Some like to crawl into dark places like shoes, under covers, and in clothing hanging in the closet or on coat racks.

5. Some of them have an excruciatingly painful bite.

6. They can fall out of trees, down from ceilings, or sneak up on you from above.

7. They're ugly, have all those eyes, and are just plain creepy!

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas
reply to post by krzyspmac

Nice of you to like spiders.
But flies like to live, too, you know?

They only have one life, too.

This may be OT, but what the heck... Instead of killing them, why not put a pot of basil in the room? Or put a few drops of basil essential oil in a diffuser.

Flies HATE the aroma of basil.
In humans, however, it brightens the mood and improves concentration.

Now that would be killing two flies at the same time.

(I know the English expression is different, "killing two birds with one stone", but I am using my grandmama's expression - for obvious reasons...
)

I like your grandma's expression better, since I love birds... But killing two flies at the same time would be a record for me. Have a hard time killing one (bad shot, not empathy)
I kill spiders that find their way into my home. But I don't use pesticides or anything of the sort. They are just unlucky if they wander in. I'm not afraid of them. My ex used to smash them so hard on the wall I would have to scrub to get the remains off.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagrass
My ex used to smash them so hard on the wall I would have to scrub to get the remains off.

Which, I suppose, might be one of the reasons why he is an EX...?

(Let me guess: did you also have to clean the kitchen after HE cooked? :-))

Consider basil. Really.

Mother Nature knows how to brew even repellents! :-)

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas

Originally posted by seagrass
My ex used to smash them so hard on the wall I would have to scrub to get the remains off.

Which, I suppose, might be one of the reasons why he is an EX...?

(Let me guess: did you also have to clean the kitchen after HE cooked? :-))

Consider basil. Really.

Mother Nature knows how to brew even repellents! :-)

After he cooked, after he walked, after he breathed. lol
Basil and Conkers (which I had to look up...chestnuts) lol. I kill plants when they are in my house. Outside plants like me, but the indoor ones get really depressed around me.

oh and.. I think Nature holds all our answers.

[edit on 26-12-2009 by seagrass]

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Spiders are the familiar of Satan. No, I don't have proof, but I'm pretty sure its the truth, nevertheless.

After all, NOTHING really needs eight legs. Ugggghhhhhh.

I remember going to the grocery store with my mom (who also has a huge spider phobia, I really do believe its a learned and conditioned response). Outside on the sidewalk was a huge spider, just laying there. Since we live in the mountains of East Tennessee, I figured it had to be one of the toy tarantulas. So I went to pick it up.

Imagine how loud I screamed when that bugger moved! I guess it crawled in on the banannas or something.

I've picked up poisonous snakes, caught rats and set them free in the woods without qualm, and once faced down a semi-awake two year old who was wielding a dirty diaper like a weapon....but put me in a room with a little spider and I'm putty. Scared putty.

So thanks a lot, OP, for bringing up some gruesome reading!

Now I gotta go wash my hands after typing about spiders. Eeewwwww.

Keep smiling, all

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I had a pet tarantula. Named Coco. Fed it crickets.
I took one to school in a coffee can for show and tell and the school made my mom come and get me.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by seagrass

Funny you mention that....I'm a school teacher myself.

Two years ago I walked in to the classroom one morning, only to discover a HUGE tarantula sitting on my desk.

I went hysterical, of course. Only to find out it was the molted form of one of my students' pet tarantulas. He had brought it for show and tell and put it on my desk for safe keeping.

I let him keep it in the classroom. Mind you, it was in a ziploc bag and not on my desk, but he got to keep it.

I had nightmares for a week after that.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I like them.

They are beautiful.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Here is a nightmare for you....
it's a picture of a giant spider eating a bird.
Yes, it's for real.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

The spider is a Golden Orb Weaver.

And just a little antedote for you....
The Golden Silk Orb Weavers are from the genus Nephila.
In Aramaic culture the term Nephila specifically referred to the constellation and myth of Orion.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I was a para-pro for a while. One of our pre-K students came to us on the playground holding a black widow!
It was like it was paralyzed. When we put it in an insect-box, it immediately came back and started crawling around!
I'm not scared of spiders though.
I once found a big black one, with a hard, shiny, shell, hibernating underground, when we were digging 'footings' for a porch and I kept it as a pet.
It crunched on moths I caught for it!

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

all I can say is WOW. I never would have imagined that.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   

One suggestion for anybody reading this who doesn't want spiders, or any visible bug in the house. GET A CAT
reply to post by 27jd

I had a cat. He was terrified of spiders, too.

I found a fairly large 'brown' spider in my kitchen (I don't know what kind, but its one of the crunchy ones that sound like shells cracking when you step on it). No WAY was I going near it, and since my husband wasn't expected home for a few more hours, I had a rather serious dilema. So I decided to call for my cat to come and dispose of the problem.

So I called him. He came, saw the arachnid, sniffed at it, then turned around and RAN AWAY WITH THE SPIDER IN PURSUIT.

I and my cat waited for my husband in the car. We never did find the spider.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join