It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Battleship of WW2

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I'll go with the King George class (Prince of Wales was one of them)

King George V

And as was stated, the Hood was a Battlecruiser. Also, it was sunk due to a lack of armour, and probably not shutting the fire control doors, allowing explosions to flash through the ship. (Did the same in WW1,we never learn)

HMS Hood

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

Originally posted by COOL HAND

Originally posted by The_Clansman
These are americans were talking about, id be suprised if they could hit the enemy and not friendlies

And you are from where?

We seem more than able to hit enough of our enemies to win the majority of the wars we have been in.

no offence cool but americas FF record latley has been let me say this pretty crap
in ww2 u guys were great i think in vietnam u guys went down hill or somein happened there likes

As regards Friendly Fire in WWII this was much higher than both Gulf Wars - some estimates put it as high as 20% - it just not report and accepted as a part of the 'Fog of War'

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by masterp
The IJN Yamato was probably the mightiest battleship. It is certainly the most impressive: 65000 tones, 9 x 18" guns, 3000 men, 265 m long, 4 planes.

I will go with the Yamato and her sister ship. If they had been given proper air cover and anti submarine ecsort they could have caused the yanks a few headaches.

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Yamato wins just....

www.combinedfleet.com...

as you can see the best battleship question is made up of different areas

above link to armor only. But armor is important.

if you look at guns..

www.combinedfleet.com...

you will see the US / Japan equalled each other.

But overall the japs win by a short head.

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Definatly the Iowa class, mainly because some of em were still being used in the gulf war, and they didnt all sink like the bismarck and the Turpitz

EDIT: I personally like the U.S.S New Jersey because it had the last ship to ship kill................ ever

[edit on 29/9/2004 by Paladin327]

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Well, my opinion is Yamato and Bismarck along with Scharnhorst and Gneisenau . Germans had the best, no doubt of it. Also few legendary battleships, Tirpitz, Hipper, Admiral Graf Spee.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Munro_DreadGod
Yamato wins just....

www.combinedfleet.com...

as you can see the best battleship question is made up of different areas

above link to armor only. But armor is important.

if you look at guns..

www.combinedfleet.com...

you will see the US / Japan equalled each other.

But overall the japs win by a short head.

On the same site is a detailed analysis of most famous WWII battleships and IOWA wins over Jamato (166 pts VS 148 pts thanks of her "awesome fire-control".

www.combinedfleet.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

Originally posted by ppp
"stop calling us damm english we are the UK get it !
4 countries mate! 4!"

England is 98% of the UK! Scottland, Wales and Northern Ireland are more a problem for England than a benefit! Why do you think they are so keen on devolution! England is also better known, this is why people forget those other countries and just say England!

I cant wait to see a response from one of the other areas of the uk!

exscuse me we invented everythig in england today hell we supply u with 80% of ur water,60% of your special forces
and whered u get 98% thats a load of bull and the only reason ur so well known is because u stole the glory and blame everything on us
i mean come on oh we cant have our own country but its all right for england to rape ,pillage,murder and terorise scotland and ireland
also u damm english are useless the last time i was at bisely i almost got shot by half ur cadets !
also the national anthem? "oh with a mighty rush to crush rebelios scots!" oh aye ? i dont see no rushing to glasgow or edinburgh to crush us
and if we are so much of a problem y do u not want us to leave the UK i remember tony blair almost pleading to the snp's to not leave britain
also was there any need to open fire on civies in ireland ?NO
anyway if ur soo great then y is our top sub base up in the north of scotland? huh?

I love it when a bitter little person sticks their head above the ramparts.

"exscuse me we invented everythig in england today" - a bold statement, onw which is quite obviously wrong!

"the only reason ur so well known is because u stole the glory and blame everything on us. i mean come on oh we cant have our own country but its all right for england to rape ,pillage,murder and terorise scotland and ireland" I think you will find that any glory that the English claim, we tend to claim it as the United Kingdom or Great Britain (apart from the footy and rugby, where you are on your own mate, we arent gonna take the blame for that !)

"also u damm english are useless the last time i was at bisely i almost got shot by half ur cadets !" HMMMMMMM I wonder why ?

"also the national anthem? "oh with a mighty rush to crush rebelios scots!" oh aye ? i dont see no rushing to glasgow or edinburgh to crush us" No need to, we got bored of doing it for hundreds of years !

"i remember tony blair almost pleading to the snp's to not leave britain" er. why would he want a large portion of his bedrock, guaranteed voters leaving ? of course he wouldnt !

"anyway if ur soo great then y is our top sub base up in the north of scotland? huh? " Its called common sense. The main patrol areas required during the cold war were the G - I - UK Gap, the north sea and further up towards the Arctic circle, it wouldnt make much sense to develop the main sub base in Newquay, Cornwall would it ?

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Argus

I love it when a bitter little person sticks their head above the ramparts.

bitter aye ?more like someone who knows thier history unlike you.

a bold statement, onw which is quite obviously wrong!

quite bold ? doubt it. we invented the first mechanical computer, was made in blechly park by a scotsman.
made the first engine, first radio,first TV shall i go on?

I think you will find that any glory that the English claim, we tend to claim it as the United Kingdom or Great Britain (apart from the footy and rugby, where you are on your own mate, we arent gonna take the blame for that !)
actually you didnt look it up you claimed it as land of england, even if you didnt it still doesnt mke you any less guilty.

HMMMMMMM I wonder why ?

mabye because thier idea of checking the barrel was point the whole gun at the sky or the ground instead of removeing the barrel. or keeping a loaded L98 in the high port position while playing with the safety sounds REALLL safe doenst it.

No need to, we got bored of doing it for hundreds of years !

oh really dare i mention bannockburn,stirling also if you got bored of it then how come edinburgh castle has never been broken?

er. why would he want a large portion of his bedrock, guaranteed voters leaving ? of course he wouldnt !

so the part of him saying "we need to stick together" was just because he wants more votes? and most people up here dont like him anyhow.

Its called common sense. The main patrol areas required during the cold war were the G - I - UK Gap, the north sea and further up towards the Arctic circle, it wouldnt make much sense to develop the main sub base in Newquay, Cornwall would it ?

personally a main subbase just on the sub route is kinda stupid, gives the enemy PERFECT chance to sit outside and wait. but also you might wanna notice something that thurso would have been better cause its closer but never mind its ok. so the main naval base in portsmouth is to protect against ?? the french ? the kreigs marine? the spainish?

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I like the Yamato the best because before the WW2 Japan at a world summit called for the world to rid itself of the battle ship and what does Japan do? They go out and build the biggest battle ship the world has ever seen
That always makes me laugh when Japan calls for the world to get rid of all nuclear weapons nowadays. Perhaps they are working on the worlds largest nuke right now

also 18 inch guns on the Yamato

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Devilwasp you ALWAYS manage to get in an argument whereever I go and you are there...

Devilwasp, England is not so well heard of because "we stole the glory" its because under one of our monarchy's control (Queen Victoria) we managed to build up our power and owned a glorious empire, and the empire was 1/3 of the size of the world.

THAT would be why we are most heard of, not because we "took all of the glory" as you decive it.

ALSO

England is not 98% of the UK, what kind of crap is this?! Where in the hell did you heard such rubbish? a bulls backside?

I do get kind of annoyed that the americans only see the UK as England, they should not refer to us as "english", but "british" would you not agree?

Another thing about America that serriously annoys me, and probally every non-american in the world; "america is the best", "america always has the best stuff", "america is the best, most important thing in the world"...etc...

Which I might add is just as much crap as the "england is 98% of the UK" remark.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Squid
Devilwasp you ALWAYS manage to get in an argument whereever I go and you are there...

i got here first you followed me, also i get into arguments because i see something wrong and i change it OR some arogant little ******* decides to speak his BS across the net.

Devilwasp, England is not so well heard of because "we stole the glory" its because under one of our monarchy's control (Queen Victoria) we managed to build up our power and owned a glorious empire, and the empire was 1/3 of the size of the world.

yeah and who helped do that? us, ireland and wales.

THAT would be why we are most heard of, not because we "took all of the glory" as you decive it.

dude we are well known in most of the western world for drinking tea or wearing skirts or smokeing a pipe or talking with a london accent , BTW staeling the glory bit is impleid bcause many amerians think england is scotland and scotland is england so there fore all inventions we make are scottish iv seen many a time when english ar******s have gladly said they invented our gear.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   
If two WW2 battleships squared off....any of them...the one to win would be the first one to manage a hit. These thing were sorta like Nukes...one shot, one kill. Given that, German and US radar gave those types and advantage, I suppose...

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
oh come off it. scotland has been a part of britain since it was conquered. that was hundreds of years ago
as in 500 years ago.

you were beaten by the tudors, wales was beaten, ireland, well ireland was massacred.
anyway, the empire had soldiers from every place it conquered: india, hong kong, the caribean, canada, america even. so how can you claim it was just the uk who built that empire? england had most of the soldiers originally, so what if the scots decided to join?
the empire was disbanded after wwII anyway. we had the largest empire ever.
australia is made up of the decendents of criminals and soldiers. america is made up of mainly irish americans. scots are decended from the irish who decend from the celts who come from france.
does anyone care that a brit came up with the inventions? sure he got money and he helped further technology but what does a dead man care for recognition?
anyway about battleships. its true the iowa was definately the best, as it had good air backing. the war in the pacific is less cared about than the one in europe for some reason so that is why people like the bismarck more than the iowa or yamata.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rubber
oh come off it. scotland has been a part of britain since it was conquered. that was hundreds of years ago
as in 500 years ago.

yeah and so what? we beat your army before and you had to get scots to help you retake the lower part of the country anyway. and not to mention we signed an agreement with you not you conquering us.

you were beaten by the tudors, wales was beaten, ireland, well ireland was massacred.
so what you got your arses kicked off a frenchman and by the romans where as we didnt get beaten by ethier.

anyway, the empire had soldiers from every place it conquered: india, hong kong, the caribean, canada, america even. so how can you claim it was just the uk who built that empire? england had most of the soldiers originally, so what if the scots decided to join?
so what if we decided to join it huh? so when the 91st infantry where in america your saying you could have done it wi out us huh? or in korea?you beat up a bunch of peaceful civies hmmm real impressive.

the empire was disbanded after wwII anyway. we had the largest empire ever.

it was lost after ww1 that was the downfall of the empire.

australia is made up of the decendents of criminals and soldiers.

so what? does this make them bad? NO

america is made up of mainly irish americans.

WRONG! most of them were scots same with canada search your history you'll find it.

scots are decended from the irish who decend from the celts who come from france.

WRONG scots were only influenced by the irish lightly the main infulence was the vikeings aka normans.

does anyone care that a brit came up with the inventions? sure he got money and he helped further technology but what does a dead man care for recognition?

yeah i think they would, gives you a bit of nationalist spirit.
he is dead so he cant feel anyway that is not the point.
also yamoto is probably the best, farthest gun range beats any battle ship on the water.

[edit on 28-9-2004 by devilwasp]

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   
the english werent beaten by romans, the celts were. most english people descend from the angles and saxons, not the celts. and if you check your history the anglo-saxons beat the romans. which time did we get beaten by the french? if your implying napoleon then scots were fighting then too. there is no military unit made up of solely english anymore. the english beat the french at agincourt and only lost france because the dumb king made a martyr out of joan of arc. sure we lost the hundred year war but that was because of bad leadership. that issue is the same as america in vietnam or russia in afghanistan. anyway i'm manx not english so i'm not too bothered about it. i was just arguing that americans call brits english because they are idiots or just mis-informed. and i am right, the scots did descend from the irish celts. the picts were there originally but the scots were irish. the only reason scotland was 'taken' is because william wallace was handed over to the british. i am shocked at how few english people didnt know there was a island inbetween england and ireland called the isle of man. but thats mainly people from the south so atleast most scots know where it is.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rubber
the english werent beaten by romans, the celts were.

what? and i suppose they built hadrians wall to keep the english out? and how did they get there if not through england ? sailed around england and make a landing in scotland? the romans were held off at hadrians and antonines wall thats why they were built.

most english people descend from the angles and saxons, not the celts.
most scottish , at least northern one clans are vikeing based.

and if you check your history the anglo-saxons beat the romans.

so when scottish forces chased the romans out of scotland that was because the english had them encircled or something?

which time did we get beaten by the french? if your implying napoleon then scots were fighting then too. there is no military unit made up of solely english anymore.
ever heard of hastings? i know they were from normandy BUT that is in france so frenchman.

i was just arguing that americans call brits english because they are idiots or just mis-informed. and i am right, the scots did descend from the irish celts.
look it up hell i'll send you a link to the most northern and most oldest clan , sutherland clan , was named and norseman based.

the picts were there originally but the scots were irish. the only reason scotland was 'taken' is because william wallace was handed over to the british.
uhhh no if you'll find it was because scottish traitors betrayed thier country and helped invade scotland.

i am shocked at how few english people didnt know there was a island inbetween england and ireland called the isle of man. but thats mainly people from the south so atleast most scots know where it is.

yeah most people dont know it .

[edit on 28-9-2004 by devilwasp]

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Samiralfey
Well, my opinion is Yamato and Bismarck along with Scharnhorst and Gneisenau . Germans had the best, no doubt of it. Also few legendary battleships, Tirpitz, Hipper, Admiral Graf Spee.

As you can see below most of the ships you mention were not really in WWII battleship class

Admiral Hipper Class were really only Heavy Cruiser DKM Prinz Eugen DKM Hipper DKM Bluecher
8 x 8in guns

Admiral Scheer Class Battlecruisers (Panzerschiff) DKM Admiral Scheer DKM Admiral Graf Spee DKM Lutzow
6 x 11in guns

Scharnhorst Class Battlecruiser DKM Scharnhorst DKM Gneisenau
9 x 11in guns

Scharnhorst scuttled itself instead of facing the 2/3 cruiser with 8 in guns that had harassed it from the Falklands to Montevideo on the River Plate

Tirpitz despite not having an illustrous career was the second of the Bismark class and had further improvements she carried 8 x 15in guns

If you are interested in German ship check out
www.german-navy.de...

Or Battleships generally
www.chuckhawks.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
As rubber said, the CELTS were beaten, the english wernt occupying england at the time, so it was the CELTS that the Romans beat.

The Anglo-Saxons did beat the Romans, Along with several other nations... but NOT the scots, check your history, the scots just attacked, and pillaged empty villages because the Romans had to pull out from everywhere to defend Rome.

The Normans were originally from somewhere else, just owned a part of France, I would have to double check where they came from though... but I know it wasnt France.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Squid
As rubber said, the CELTS were beaten, the english wernt occupying england at the time, so it was the CELTS that the Romans beat.

no the celts were ocupying england , there was a ppoulation in sourhtern england but it WANST celt because if it was where is all the celt ruins?

The Anglo-Saxons did beat the Romans, Along with several other nations... but NOT the scots, check your history, the scots just attacked, and pillaged empty villages because the Romans had to pull out from everywhere to defend Rome.
yeah celts beat the romans that were starting to pull out wich still is engageing them not to meantion ratakeing many parts of scotland with attacks. yeah the anglo saxons beat them so what we werent interested in england.

The Normans were originally from somewhere else, just owned a part of France, I would have to double check where they came from though... but I know it wasnt France.

many of them i belive were french.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join