It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In hot water: World sets ocean temperature record

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   

In hot water: World sets ocean temperature record

www.sfgate.com

Steve Kramer spent an hour and a half swimming in the ocean Sunday — in Maine. The water temperature was 72 degrees — more like Ocean City, Md., this time of year. And Ocean City's water temp hit 88 degrees this week, toasty even by Miami Beach standards.

It's not just the ocean off the Northeast coast that is super-warm this summer. July was the hottest the world's oceans have been in almost 130 years of record-keeping.

Meteorologists said there's a combination of forces at work: A natura
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I think we will get alot of bad hurricanes in the near future
I pray for everyone's safety on earth

this cannot be good

This is very hot water and it will just add fuel to the fiery hurricanes.

I remember reading about devices scientists were working on to cool water in oceans, anyone know what the status of those devices are?

www.sfgate.com

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
El Nino is a cycle that seems to be intensifying as we get into the future. I don't blame human activity so much as increased output of energy from the Sun/space.

I think 2009 will be hotter than 1998 though.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a 10 degree rise in the ocean temps can stop the ocean belt which distributes the heat/cold through out the world and can plunge us into a new global ice age.
Kind of spooky if they keep going on the warming trend.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

I think we will get alot of bad hurricanes in the near future
I pray for everyone's safety on earth

this cannot be good

This is very hot water and it will just add fuel to the fiery hurricanes.

I remember reading about devices scientists were working on to cool water in oceans, anyone know what the status of those devices are?

www.sfgate.com

Wait until the North Atlantic "conveyor" (current) and other cease

It will be fun

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I hope this is not true - I fear that hurricanes may get stronger with warmer water.

We live about 5 minutes from the East Coast of central Florida.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Thats kind of scarey. I hope it doesn't strenghten the tornados, where I live there are lots of them. S & F

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
El Nino is a cycle that seems to be intensifying as we get into the future. I don't blame human activity so much as increased output of energy from the Sun/space.

I think 2009 will be hotter than 1998 though.

You can deny humanity's involvement in the process all you want. You might as well deny that the earth revolves around the sun.

We are pumping literally tons upon tons of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere everyday. Greenhouse gases make the planet warmer.

It's not even debatable by reasonable people anymore.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Unfortunately we are all part of this dilemma and we are also making it worse...

I get so annoyed when ATSers deny the fact that the planet is heating up and

that we are accelerating the process. The facts speak for themselves... they

are always looking for something to disprove it.

For every scientist that disproves it there are probably a hundred that say that

global warming is happening.

Its ridiculous... I have even heard claims of an ICE AGE?!?! WTF?!?!

Some people just choose to ignore the facts... Not everything is a conspiracy

you know!

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   
this is clearly a problem, but I've never had a problem with warm water...

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I can't wait until global warming actually kicks in.

I've got land at the northern latitudes that will increase in value.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by mental modulator

It will be fun

I watched a documentary on pay tv the other week that show with tests that the north atlantic conveyer was already slowing drastically......

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by halfmanhalfidiot

you know!

I wish some people would actually read up on things before they embrace their ignorance.
As the oceans heat up this affects the currents in the oceans, notably the Gulf Stream which makes much of the northern hemisphere much warmer than it would be. Hence if this stopped circulating the areas where it flows would cool down, leading to an ICE AGE.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Melbourne_Militia

Originally posted by mental modulator

It will be fun

I watched a documentary on pay tv the other week that show with tests that the north atlantic conveyer was already slowing drastically......

Now that is spooky. I'm not suprised if the ocean temps are rising that much.. but the though of if it stops...
It would be a mad dash for the equator thats for sure..
*wondering how much gas it would take to drive that far.. hmm*

Mother nature has a way of keeping things in check, temps get to warm, she cools the planet down.. only draw back is it takes a few decades to thaw back out..

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 03:02 AM
link   
that cannot be good for hurricanes...

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by yellowbeard

Originally posted by halfmanhalfidiot

you know!

I wish some people would actually read up on things before they embrace their ignorance.
As the oceans heat up this affects the currents in the oceans, notably the Gulf Stream which makes much of the northern hemisphere much warmer than it would be. Hence if this stopped circulating the areas where it flows would cool down, leading to an ICE AGE.

A little ice age in Europe and North America is what you are talking about right???

I am arguing for global warming... at least you assisted my case...thanks

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Very scary indeed. The conveyor is already slowing, this is not a good sign. Have any of you ever seen the movie 'the day after tommorrow'? It was certainly a fictional writing, but it was based on what global warming will eventually do to our planet.

I don't want to just throw my age out there, but, I was taught about global warming in the 6th grade, and at that time it was said to be a surety, it will happen, only they thought it was going to be much longer. Well, it's not much longer, it has begun.

Today, it rained off and on, my hubby and I have been noting that day or night, the rain doesn't seem to cool it off anymore, we were sitting on the porch as it rained, and he went to set a plant out in the rain, and noticed that the rain itself, is hot. I don't remember ever feeling rain it being like hot water!

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by halfmanhalfamazing

I don't deny that climate change is happening, I just believe it's MORE down to solar cycles and mother nature than anything humanity can throw at it, and firmly oppose the politicians that say it can be fixed by anything we can do (especially taxation and carbon trading). We've just got to do what humans do best, adapt and survive.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by yellowbeard

Very true... climaate change will happen whether we go CO2 crazy or not... we

can try and slow down the process though.

We must survive and preserve what we can.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   
It has beaten the old record by "a couple hundredths of degrees" ......... The last time the record was it also happened to be an El Nino season. Oh my what's that, an El Nino season is starting again! (which is a natural warming of the oceans!)

However I noticed the article couldn't help but add "helped by man-made global warming) .......

Anyone else sick of these eco nutjobs?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join