It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In hot water: World sets ocean temperature record

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
6 billion poeple and counting on this planet. I find it hard to belive we're not having some kind of major impact on the tempretures of this planet.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by wantsome

Not a shred of evidence to prove it.

We are ruining it.. no doubt about that.. making it poisonous to live on sure.. but warming it up? Nope.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Not a shred of evidence to prove it.

We are ruining it.. no doubt about that.. making it poisonous to live on sure.. but warming it up? Nope.

www.realclimate.org...

Observations of ocean temperatures have revealed that the ocean heat content has been increasing significantly over recent decades (Willis et al, 2004; Levitus et al, 2005; Lyman et al, 2006). This is something that has been predicted by climate models (and confirmed notably by Hansen et al, 2005), and has therefore been described as a ’smoking gun’ for human-caused greenhouse gases

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I can't tell if your being serious or just sarcastic. I know one thing we are poisening it thats for sure. I was on the Detroit river fishing last spring. You know things are messed up when the water splashes on you and it burns. Funny thing is that happend right by the water intake for the cities drining water.

I've seen satalite photos of the algae blooms on the great lakes. They're caused by all the run off from the city and pollution. Thats at the begining of the chain. That water ends up along all the great lakes states in the north east. We have factories dumping millions of gallons of poly vynle cholide into it also. One expose to that chemical causes cancer. I read in the paper a year ago how they dump millions of gallons of the stuff in one day.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by halfmanhalfamazing

But yet, like various other Record highs and Record lows in meteorology they happen in no particular order.. Ocean temperatures are a few "hundredths" of a degree warmer than the last record.. and it happens to be in an El Nino season, which we have not had a particularly strong one this century. So go figure..

There is also no direct correlation being shown as to HOW global water temps are being directly effected by Humans. They are trying to say that the AIR is being heated by Co2 acting like a green house, yet AIR is more effected by WATER .. it could be blazing hot or cold, but if you live next to a current the temps only have minor fluctuations all year round.

Water would thus be heated by direct sun light, which would be regardless of weather or not there is a green house effect or not.. If every time we break a weather related record we scream "GLOBAL WARMING" it's like howling wolf.. no one believe it any more because it's been proven wrong so many times.

No sarcasm at all.. we are destroying the planet. Generation after Generation eventually there won't be anything left.. it will be paved over with a starbucks on it.

Does that mean the atmosphere it's self is being warmed up because of one particular gas (Co2)? No.. We can certainly alter the weather in some instances, such as by building a damn, or importing water (Phoenix) or Harvesting trees and not re-planting (poor countries)...

But no proof we are warming up the planet.. not one bit. Something causes the planets atmosphere to change on it's own, including it's average temperatures.. At one point the planet was so warm most of America was under water.. there were no ice caps.. was that man made? No.. and there is evidence an ice age occurred before that, and one before that, and so on .. Even in Human history there is documented evidence of random climate change patterns that seemingly come from out of the blue then disappear.. for instance it was once warm enough that vineyards were common place in England..

The Eco folks were better off trying to stop us from polluting. Their image now is over sensational pseudo scientist who's main objective is to tax supposed Co2 emissions. To help the planet.. of course..

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
It has beaten the old record by "a couple hundredths of degrees" ......... The last time the record was it also happened to be an El Nino season. Oh my what's that, an El Nino season is starting again! (which is a natural warming of the oceans!)

However I noticed the article couldn't help but add "helped by man-made global warming) .......

Anyone else sick of these eco nutjobs?

That was in 88.

21 years ago.

Hmm. A couple hundredths of a degree in 21 years.

Yep.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
apparently there have been many ice ages followed by relatively short warm periods in the past, with or without man getting involved. I'm taking the scientists' word for this. Apparently we've been warm for about 10,000 years which is the average length of these spells. one of these days we'll go to ice age again. I certainly agree that it would behoove us to stop polluting but it is probably not in our power to stop these cycles from occurring. maybe they are earth's version of seasons.

It is my opinion that we will not destroy the planet by our polluting, only eliminate ourselves from the range of viable species. Earth seems quite capable of allowing new life forms to develop that adapt to whatever is going on. We have a very narrow range in which we can survive. But maybe humanity only has short windows in which to develop. Maybe we (or someone) will eventually be back.

It certainly appears from various news reports that the oceans are quite warm right now, and this is said to be a forerunner of an ice age. If so, and who knows what the timing is on these things, i don't think we possess any technology to stop it and i doubt if our technology will allow us to survive it. don't they say ice ages last tens of thousands of years?

Those who run this planet in terms of material things are spending as if there is no tomorrow, that there will never be a day of reckoning for their insane actions being undertaken every day now. Maybe they know something we don't.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Not sure if this was posted on ATS yet. Thought it tied in to this topic.

The North Atlantic Ocean has spawned more hurricanes and tropical storms over the last decade than it has since a similarly stormy period 1,000 years ago, according to a new study.

Study Finds Big Storms on a 1,000-Year Rise

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I don't understand making anthropogenic global warming all about one gas (co2). Surely we're causing more disturbances on the surface that end up having cascading untold of effects on several atmospheric layers. Is co2 the only level that is out of whak, or the only one that is in focus...for some reason?

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by wantsome
6 billion poeple and counting on this planet. I find it hard to belive we're not having some kind of major impact on the tempretures of this planet.
We are having a major impact on the planet, with pollution etc.
We will probably end up on a large scale like Easter Island did on a small scale, keep reproducing and expanding and cutting down trees until there are no more trees left, then when the population is too large to support anymore, I guess Easter Island had food shortages as there is evidence of cannibalism. If we grow to 50 billion people and don't have enough to eat, look around, maybe there are 50 billion meals looking back at you if you're hungry enough.

But the CO2 as a greenhouse gas theory seems kind of shaky, the Earth's temperature is probably changing for reasons besides man's activity, like solar activity.

That's alarming to hear the Atlantic conveyor is slowing down. If the winters in the northeast and the UK start getting colder then we'll know if there's some truth to that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join