It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have the right mindset for survival?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I was wondering if everyone here has the right mindset for surviving?
Some people are going to have to make some very difficult decissions about life and death things rather quickly.

For example, do you help the family across the street that doesn't have any preps except for the weekly grocery purchase?...what about the children?

You are going to have to turn people away OR
help them and fear them taking your stuff. Now with them knowing that your prepaired where are they going to come all the time?
Are you going to run out of food for your own family because you gave the other family some? That could open a door that most would rather not think about.

Can you tell your neighbor to go away?
How about a relative that thinks your crazy now?....
they will come running as soon as they cannot fend for themselves, what then?

I know that helping or not helping will be a tough decission for most....
Are you willing to give up some of the preps for YOUR family to help another?

In defending your things you cannot do it all by yourself...and a dog is ok, but one shot and hes done,plus I've never seen a dog shoot a gun...(a dog cannot bite me 300 yards away even 30 yards ) so how do you defend your things? it is impossible to be awake 24/7. Who is there with you keeping watch?

Bottom line is there are a thousand and one things that can happen to you in a SHTF and people are going to have to make some very NASTY choices that will hold the outcome of life or death to others.

I'm just wondering if people have really thought this through?
Are you going to be able to live with your decissions or not?

This is only a drop in the bucket for what some people are gonna have to figure out within the first few days.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Well for me, i dont think it will be that tough. Where i live and where ill be going, i dont have neighbors within 3 miles. so im not worried about having to turn them away because i dont know them and they dont know me. The only people that know what i have are my close family, and were a tight nitch bunch anyway, and we are all on the same page. We will all work the land and we will all stay together. No outsiders unless they can bring to the table and work along side us. But i doubt we will let just anyone in our compound. As far as security goes. Im military with 2 combat tours under my belt so i have a few tricks up my sleeve and i also have enough people in my family, that there will be a night patrol in shifts so that way no one is left watching all night with no sleep.

And as far as dogs go, we only need one. just to round up small game and bark if somone comes near. my rifles and night vision optics will get us through.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I too grew up in the country also and was prior service....semper fi.
I do not know of any farm to be a compound....unless barbed wire tripple strand counts.

I too have a family full of people to help with security and what not.
How do you defend against the city folk that are lost and think that whatever they find is there's?

Example...your live stock.
If you farm say 3500 to 6000 acres, how in the world are you going to protect what is yours? Is all your land together? You would need a company size element at a minimum, with fire team patrols every hour or two.
I'm not busting your brass, I'm just wondering how we would be able to keep what is ours with so many in need and in a desperation mode.

You probably have family with gardens...right? Well are they all in the same spot? Are all your chickens,goats,pigs and cattle within a smaller area that can be watched over easily?I know that you would no all be staying under the same roof. Well at 3 miles away is your family gonna know if you need help? What if the comm. is down?no phone or cb?

Just wondering. Again I know that I could what if this to death but in reality are the things we need to make it readily at hand?How easy will it be for someone to just come and take something and you not even realize it until a week or two later?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
well I really do not think I will have any problem telling some neighbor that had his chance to get set up right , and did not do it...to take a hike...

I have seen lots of combat so killing is not going to be very difficult....

helping people that did nothing is going to actually piss me off...

survival is a state of mind...an ideology to me that is so very important...and if some guy that does nothing after he has had a chance to do so.... and wants something for nothing or someone else to do everything for him..... sorry but he has nothing coming...

I have spent the time and my own money to build an underground shelter that is large and very well stocked... took years and i have no intention of giving up to some jackass that did nothing... he/ she is on their own...

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I hear ya.

Some people here are not combat vets and will have a hard time telling people no.

Some here have never seen combat and think it is all like the movies... boy are they in for a shock.

Alot of protected people think that others will listen to them when they say sorry I cannot help you......until they are attacked right then or late with a few more in a mob, because they have and the others have not.

Many people are nieve about how people really are....when you take a roof and food away from someone just wait until a day or two pass and you'll see there true colors come out and realize what jackass thinking some people come up with.

Life as some of us have seen is not all sunshine, rainbows and lollipops.

[edit on 20-8-2009 by saltdog]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by lilwolf

Well each to his own. I have stocked food for the wanderers. I am building water tanks for their water. When that is gone I'll use my stocks to help until their gone!

What does it matter if this NWO takes foothold if WE Americans can not even bother to feed a starving brother?
Why even deny their plans? IF there isn't something better than just looking out for number 1 and profiting while another is in misery?

Isn't this attitude the result that birthed the recent political debauchery that has taken us to this point of manifest greed and hipocracy in our "elected" public servants?

Dude you may have served in combat but you didnt become better for it. Compassion should have crossed your mind a couple of times.
And dont give me the combat crap..8 year usmc here.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
3 words...

REGULATORS!!!!! mount up

In all seriousness though...why not hide what you got...and teach others to fend for themselves?

[edit on 20-8-2009 by midnightbrigade]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

This is why I say if you stay in the cities you will eventually
face very desperate starving panicked ppl.

When ppl have nothing to lose, it gets ugly real fast.

My plan has been to bug out and not come back til things are back
to normal for a long while that I can hear on my crank radio out
in the wilderness.

Even if you can shoot another human being, at some point some
of them are gonna shoot back or burn you out.

As soon as I see any of the signs it is coming I am bugging out.

I have 3 possible routes, and the place I am heading is barely populated.

I have friends and family already nearby, and some coming with me.

If roadblocks prevent us from making it out, then we are walking it,
using cover along the way and taking our time.

Staying in the concrete jungle when the store shelves are empty
is not going to go well for ppl.

My plan is out of sight is out of mind.

Good Luck to you all !

[edit on 20-8-2009 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by midnightbrigade

I assure you what I got is very well hidden. Yet would I let someone starve or die of thirst in front of me while I have means to prevent it. Hell NO!

Their negligence or preoccupation prior to and or during a Global emergency isn't for me to judge. My heart is my judge and it says if you have it to give then give freelyl
Yea this philosophy may lead to my doom. This doom I would face with a light heart because I didn't betray it.

Yet I"m a rotten old coot and will shoot the ears off of poachers and theifs.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

The only way to monitor 3,500 - 6,000 acres without a lot of ppl
would be an electronic frontier that is solar powered and the elements
are well hidden.

It would be pretty pricey to setup to cover a perimeter that big,
and even more so if you wanted full area coverage.

Perhaps a tower that is sandbagged with long range night vision
optics to watch the perimeter, thermal being the best but pricey choice.

Anyway you do it, it won't be cheap.

Using IR sensors from security lights

The above might help with acquiring the sensors cheaply if you know
someone with an electronics background.

[edit on 20-8-2009 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by awakentired

I to was a almost 10 year vet of the usmc. when you serve and with who?

I think that just because some are animals we all do not need to be, But not all of us are from the same mold if you know what i mean.
Most have no idea of what they will do until after they do it.

The situation will be differant to and for everyone and there level of knowledge will be tested to the extreme, I believe.

I hope that it doesn't happen, however given the state of the people, It could if we have a few idiots do something stupid.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by saltdog
reply to post by awakentired

I hope that it doesn't happen, however given the state of the people, It could if we have a few idiots do something stupid.

We have financial pirates doing things stupid.

We have politicians ignoring the ppl they are suppose to represent.

We have the FBI paying and training ppl to incite riots. ( Hal Turner )

We have them planning to tax ponds via S.787.

We have them planning to put a head tax on all livestock via NAIS.

We have a science czar who helped write Ecoscience and keeps a
copy on his shelf during interviews that calls for forced sterilization
on the public.

We have a country full of ppl that thought Obama would end the wars.

We have a country full of ppl that think things are getting better
when tax revenues have fallen more than anytime since the
Great Depression.

Stupid is as stupid does, and stupid has been doing a lot lately.

I'd say it is a foregone conclusion that more stupid is coming, and
I am just waiting for the time to head for the hills at this point.

I will be camping til it is over, but if it looks to be getting worse and
we anger a major foreign power, I am going underground literally.

Good Luck to you all !

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
It will be hard to survive in urban areas.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I graduated with honors from the school of hard knocks and have survived some pretty crazy things in my life, but could I kill some one? I guess I'll have to wait and see if the moment arises. Hopefully if I can get there I'll be out in the middle of nowhere. (thoughts churning) I see this is going to need a new thread.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Hunkering down in paranoid fear and hording supplies doesn't seem like something I would enjoy despite my military experience.

I would rather be very aware, notice the signs of impending TSHTF scenarios and leave for a more civilized environment. SHTF will not be global. I'm spending my money on an anytime, anywhere plane tickets, and transferable assets rather than guns and beans.

But in case I don't make it out in time; I still have a plentyful supply of guns and beans and I'll blow your brains out if I even feel threatned.

[edit on 20-8-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Do I have the proper mindset to survive? Who knows? How does anyone know how they will react to that kind of situation? It's so far outside the realm of experience that I don't think anyone can truly say that they are mentally prepared. Who knows what's going to happen, how bad it will be, and what kinds of stresses will be affecting them?

I have weapons, I have training, I have supplies, I have a plan, and I have a very well set up location to fall back to. A place that is well defended, difficult to find, and difficult to get to, where I can survive quite happily for years if I need to. But will I even make it to my fall back location? What if I get caught up in a dust-up on my way out of town? In a bad, bad situation, whether or not you survive will involve a great deal of chance. All you can do is prepare as best you know how.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I think there have been some very valid points made here. I also
believe in stocking up and having fallback plans but I have one
more option that many do not. I can just live within the land as opposed to living "off it".

Can you:

• Trap and forage for food. How well do you know your wild
    edible plants? Can you make cordage and set traps?

• Make fire without matches or firestarters using only natural
    materials at hand in any weather?

• Build shelters with only natural materials?

• Obtain and purify water?

• Track human activity and remain hidden if you wish?

• Use plants for medicines?

If you can do those things you can forgoe many man-made articles
    that many deem esssential in a survival situation. I'm not stupid - I
    WILL be packing firearms, knives, waterfilter, multitool, rain
    poncho, magnesium firestarter, compass, food, clothing and
    extra ammuntion to be sure. My theory is the less you carry the
    more mobile you are the easier it will be to remain out of sight - out of
    mind.

There are certain articles that may be invaluable that cannot be made
    from natural materials easily or at all. Besides firearms and knives I
    would mention night vision, binoculars, saws, shovels and good
    containers for water-tight storage.

If you want to learn survival skills get busy now and practice! For
    instance don't waste your time learning flintknapping if you live in
    an area that has no good rock to work with. Learn the basics - fire,
    water and shelter. Then move on to wild edibles, trapping and
    tanning hides.

Beyond that all I can say is that many of us may have to make
    hard choices in the future. Native American history provides
    valuable clues for how to act in desperate times. Those too old
    or sick to survive long or to contribute to the tribe stayed behind
    for the good of all.

Strangers were not automatically enemies -they might have
    valuable information or goods to trade. Hand signals were very
    important and in group situations and could be real lifesavers.

I consider myself as well prepared as anyone but I hope that I never
    have to utilize the skills I've learned. Good luck to all.

• posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:25 PM
    link   
    reply to post by Asktheanimals

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes.
    But the situation will certainly have more zombies and not be so much a camping experience. Zombies will come to collect my food and resources... and I will have to kill them.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:43 PM
    link   
    Not to get philosophical, but I ask myself this question constantly. And unfortunately, I will not know the answer until I am thrust into a survival situation.

I have made preparations, gathered knowledge, I have practiced my skills, shared my knowledge and taught friends, family and strangers on how to prepare. But when it comes down to brass tacks, we do not know what SitX may be (we can have a good idea, but life is full of surprises), so we cannot 100% say that we in the right mindset for any situation.

I just pray that I and all of you are ready, and can adapt and overcome any flavor of S that may HTF.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 08:12 PM
    link   

Originally posted by JJay55
    reply to post by Asktheanimals

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes.
    But the situation will certainly have more zombies and not be so much a camping experience. Zombies will come to collect my food and resources... and I will have to kill them.

It's your right to survive. Life, liberty.....the pursuit of Happiness.
    That which you do to defend yourself or innocents is not only legal,
    it's the moral choice.

It is important to me to avoid bloodshed at every opportunity. If
    I have done that I have fulfilled my moral obligation.

A zombie is a zombie- once they were human but they
    lost the way. It's a shame but that's the real world for ya. Don't ever letone bite you.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join