It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Call to Republicans and Conservatives

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Hey you on the Right...yes, you! What are you doing? Your Nation needs you!

What is all of this belly-aching, fear-mongering, whining, mud-slinging, spreading discontent, disinformation, and discord all about? What's this talk about Civil War, Revolution, and Treason? Just what do you think you're doing?

So, you lost getting another one of your Cronies to sit at the Resolute Desk and you lost control of both the House and Senate. It happens, it's no biggie. Get over it already.

Listen, I know you don't want to be another Whig Party, and I know you certainly don't want to see our Bicameral System become a Single Party System if you go the same way as the Whig Party, so knock it off already! 'Cause you know what? No one likes a sore loser...and if you have any aspirations of ever getting a candidate elected in 2012, I'd think twice about the way you and the rest of your Party are acting before you shoot your other foot.

Here's the deal...America is in a time of crisis. Democrats who are now in control of both Congress and the Executive Branch are bleeding hearts with holes in their pockets. Our new President is wet behind the ears, and for all of his good intentions he's not the most experienced and seems to have bitten off more than he can chew. On top of that, we happen to be in the middle of an Economic Melt-down that has been happening for the past 10 years (well, technically since 1982, but those annually scheduled "Police Actions" abroad delayed the inevitable for 25 years). If ever the Country needed you Republicans and Conservatives to pitch in and help out, it is now!

So, what I'm asking is this...show us some leadership! If ever you hope to get a Republican in any elected seat in the next 16 years, then you best be stopping the mudslinging and get to work with the Democrats on fixing things. That means you have to swallow your pride and maybe even be called a "Scalawag" by your own Party members, but so be it, because that is what your Nation needs of you.

Now is the time to work together. Political Parties and Platforms are just titles and pretty words on paper. Above and beyond being a Republican or a Conservative, you are an American gosh darn it...just like the Democrats in Congress and the Oval Office are Americans.

Let's stop with the Red vs. Blue Shenanigans and work together as a single Nation of American people united. There's a lot of work to be done, you best be rolling up your sleeves.

Seriously, it's been 10 months now since Election 2008. You've been given plenty of time to mourn. Now, it's time to either put up or shut up once and for all. Either lead, follow, or get out of the way!

The choice is ultimately yours. I'm sure that the President's offer to work together across Party lines still stands. You are welcome to take part in the process just like everyone else...you may not get your way, and you may have to make a lot of concessions and compromises, but that's how Democracy works. Most importantly it's going to take a backbone and some blood, sweat, and tears. Do you have what it takes to answer the call of your Nation and prove that Republicans are Americans too?

The Unity Phone is ringin'. The Nation is waiting on Line 2. Are you going to answer or what?

[edit on 19-8-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

your right!!! im gonna start voting democratic just as soon as they do away with this silly "political system", elect obama as emperor and when i start voting. which is never.

but seriously... change!... i mean think about it. change...

what a slogan! away with the old... stuff! and in with the new... the new... era... replacements... for... for the old defunct stuff!!!

wow i feel political too! all warm... and toasty... and sticky! say, this political stuff is pretty great! mmmmm... change.

XP

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by acornco
your right!!! im gonna start voting democratic just as soon as they do away with this silly "political system", elect obama as emperor and when i start voting. which is never.

but seriously... change!... i mean think about it. change...

what a slogan! away with the old... stuff! and in with the new... the new... era... replacements... for... for the old defunct stuff!!!

wow i feel political too! all warm... and toasty... and sticky! say, this political stuff is pretty great! mmmmm... change.

And that is precisely the problem that I am addressing. Melodrama! Our Nation doesn't need any of that right now. We have some serious problems that need to be addressed.

If you want to tackle the issues, then let us get to work on them together as Americans for the benefit of Americans, and leave our Parties at the door.

If you'd rather be an arm-chair blow-hard, then do everyone a favor and be a wind-bag off in the wings and leave the real work to the real Americans.

No one is asking you to vote Democrat. In case you hadn't noticed, the Elections were over back in November.

No one is asking you to help enact an Autocracy. Matter of fact, most people would rather see a dismantling of the Autocracy left behind by the previous Administration, thank you very much.

No one is asking you to give up your beliefs. We are just asking you to drop the Prima Belladonna routine and come to the table and get some work done instead of throwing a 10 month and counting tantrum.

And if you don't want change, and would prefer inaction, then you have no right to complain. However, McCain and Palin spouted the same Campaign Slogan of "Change". So, if you really are a card-carrying Republican, then I'm pretty sure you are not against "change" but might have differing opinions of how to go about changing things.

We're talking about putting Republicans to work here. If you'd rather earn your keep being a Political Pundit, then that's your prerogative, but understand that "Pundit" also has negative connotations and puts you in the same category as Used Car Salesmen. If you'd rather want to prove that you have the mettle and the backbone to be a Leader, then start proving it by leading and working together.

No one is forcing you to be a part of the historic decisions that are on the table. The Democrats will decide with or without you. However, if you want a say in that decision, then you have to take some responsibility and pony up to the table. Take pride in being part of the process rather than sulking in the corner like a disenfranchised child who had his sucker taken away.

No one is going to pull a Bush and say you are either with us or against us. However, you are being asked to lend a helping hand. If you don't then you simply lose your credibility and relevance to this Nation. If you do, then come 2012 you can proudly say that you rose above Partisan Politics when your Nation needed you the most, and helped make some tough choices and did your part to make the future a little better for America.

So, do you want to cling to your sarcasm or do you want to earn some respect? The choice is yours.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   
There is a value-system that calls for the support of the President, no matter which "side" he is from. I agree with Bush on the subject of Terrorism. I agree with Obama on the subject of HealthCare.

So rather than looking for stuff to bash, I look for stuff I can support. This nation grew strong because of its unity, not its division. Leftists trying to slander Republican rule and Rightists trying to slander Democrat rule at all costs and without giving "the other side" any leeway whatsoever, are detrimental to the country.

[edit on 19-8-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Actually real Republicans do not seek to slander the President. Neither do they feel victimized by him.

The screeching bigots you are referring to are not really conservatives.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus
Here's the deal...America is in a time of crisis.

Wow. Just wow. Your a couple of years late though. But hey no worries, this should be fixed up by midway next year. By then the next excuse will probably be "it was just a cycle". Maybe you can gather up the crew then to come up with the excuses?

No need to call your friends on the right. In anycare Iv learned thats pointless eitherway.... after the hype over the "state sovereignty" event and "tea-bagging events" and "birther campaigns" key strokes dont start a revolutions, people across all lines and ideologies do. I can also tell you that you will not get a revolution if your going to be restricted to one ideological segment of this nation, as you share it with many others. America works in segments, one movement in one segment will not get the others moving. The civil rights movement crossed all ideological and religious lines, as did racism. The revolution was fought across cultural and ideological lines.

So yes, use those key strokes yours these to battle those imaginary monsters at the DNC. People do it all the time here though, may I remind you. In each case nothing happens, suprisingly.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Thats just a wonderful wonderful link to the constitution there. If would be much appreciated as to where liberals such as myself and Obama oppose the US constitution. I can list a dozen during the Bush administration. I can list a dozen in texas alone, including this religious stunt in public schools this month.

Maybe we can take the US constitution out and discuss it? You first!

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
Thats just a wonderful wonderful link to the constitution there. If would be much appreciated as to where liberals such as myself and Obama oppose the US constitution. I can list a dozen during the Bush administration. I can list a dozen in texas alone, including this religious stunt in public schools this month.

Maybe we can take the US constitution out and discuss it? You first!

Where in my signature does it say that I think liberals oppose the Constitution? Why is believing in the Constitution automatically linked to being illiberal?

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
ZOMG I am SO silly.. I completely mis-understood Democracy.

I thought Democracy meant that you have the option to vote for who you support. If your man doesn't win, tough luck, try again next time.

I had NO IDEA that it meant: Your man lost, conform to the winner!

Now that I know I am supposed to cast aside all my political beliefs and conform to the "Left" way of thinking and support a political ideology I don't identify with! We dissenters and separatist.. ruining Democracy!!!

Look, I could care less who's sitting behind the big desk in the Oval Office.. to assume people should conform to ANYONE'S political ideology because THEY won is so damn unamerican it aint even funny. I don't even see what kind of reaction you are trying to arise from people with such an audacious, ignorant thread? Because clearly that's what you're looking for, a reaction? Right?

**I didn't vote for Obama**

**I didn't vote for McCain**

**I did vote for someone**

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

I don't see where his signature leans anyway .. be it left or right. It's just a document? The site it's self doesn't lean any direction.. it's entirely secular.

Unless that was a Freudian Slip? Do you usually see the Constitution and wig out?

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
And one more thing. Yes, I know I have taken over the page but it has to be asked:

Why does opposing Obama, opposing the Government, supporting the Constitution and disagreeing with specific bills make you a "Right Wing Nut" or a Republican? What about the Democrats that disapprove of the Bill?

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
ZOMG I am SO silly.. I completely mis-understood Democracy.

More sarcasm from yet another Drama Queen. Thanks for contributing to the problem rather than helping.

I thought Democracy meant that you have the option to vote for who you support. If your man doesn't win, tough luck, try again next time.

Yes, in our particular model of a Democratic Republic it is unfortunately a "Winner Take All" System. The Popular Vote is oftentimes a wasted Vote as a simple Majority claims the Electoral Vote. In this system a large majority of Votes may play no part in determining the outcome of an Election.

When you further have a Supermajority in both the House and Senate, there is no way to block or filibuster a vote, and impossible to stop Constitutional Amendments on the Federal level (although in that later case they then have to be ratified by Supermajority in all 50 States).

In such a situation, a minority party, has no hope of accomplishing anything Partisan. At this point they can either just not show up to Congress ever and take a 2 year vacation at their constituents expense, or they can tow their Partisan line and be akin to a Lame Duck as the Supermajority of elected officials are less inclined to cooperate with them, or they can choose to overlook Partisan lines and work with the Supermajority.

I had NO IDEA that it meant: Your man lost, conform to the winner!

What makes you think that?

It does mean that you have no bargaining power though. Until you are dealt a better hand in the next election, you have to either fold or work with those around you. You can still provide input, but you can't stand your ground and remain entrenched. You have to work diplomatically, and give, bend and compromise.

No one gets their way, exactly the way they want, it in Politics when you have a Democracy or a Republic.

Both sides *ALWAYS* have to conform, not to the winner, but to each other and give some and take some until a happy medium is found that the majority can live with. If one side already has a majority, then that happy medium is going to be in their favor. When there is a supermajority, then that happy medium is going to be in their favor an awful lot. If you are the minority there isn't much you can do about it.

And that is why this call is going out. Republicans and Conservatives and other Minorities don't have to sit in the wings idly while letting their bitterness grow. They can still participate. They just cannot be entrenched and have to learn to be more diplomatically progressive, taking what they can get and not throwing a fit about it.

Now that I know I am supposed to cast aside all my political beliefs and conform to the "Left" way of thinking and support a political ideology I don't identify with! We dissenters and separatist.. ruining Democracy!!!

Look, I could care less who's sitting behind the big desk in the Oval Office.. to assume people should conform to ANYONE'S political ideology because THEY won is so damn unamerican it aint even funny. I don't even see what kind of reaction you are trying to arise from people with such an audacious, ignorant thread? Because clearly that's what you're looking for, a reaction? Right?

I am looking for a modicum of decorum from the Minority. I am looking for them to continue to take part in the Democratic process, bringing their unique viewpoints to the table, and contributing by working with the Majority rather than attempting to sabotage and subvert the Majority.

Attempting to sabotage and subvert isn't American. That is Terrorism.

Attempting to incite Armed Revolt, Civil War, and Dissent isn't American, it is Treason and punishable by death. Fortunately we don't have Thomas Jefferson in the Oval Office, otherwise those in the Minority doing this kind of thing would be shot on the White House lawn.

AGAIN, for the third time in this Thread, no one is asking the Republicans and Conservatives to conform. That is the one thing that I do agree with your Melodramatic statements. It would be downright unAmerican to ask that of anyone. Instead, they are being asked to work with the Democratic Process rather than attempt to destroy it and subvert it. You can have an opinion and work in your Party's better interest while working with the Majority in the Democratic Process. They are not mutually exclusive.

**I didn't vote for Obama**
**I didn't vote for McCain**
**I did vote for someone**

Then you and I are in the same boat on that.

But I've accepted that what is done is done and moved on. Rather than fabricate dissent and spread falsehood and lies, I've decided to continue to be a part in Democracy by getting to work and helping those who the Will of the People elected and put into office. They might not be my choice of elected Officials, but they are the choice of the majority of Americans. The American People have declared their Will and I respect that. I may reserve the Right to disagree with them, but I will still respect them and work with them. Just because I didn't vote for them doesn't mean I'm not going to have anything to do with them. They are the duly Elected Officials of the American People. Whether they are Democrat, Republican, Independent, or Libertarian or from Mars doesn't matter. They are our Congress and President, regardless of Party Affiliation.

[edit on 19-8-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Even I supported bush minor on some things and prayed for him after 9/11.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   

And one more thing. Yes, I know I have taken over the page but it has to be asked:

Why does opposing Obama, opposing the Government, supporting the Constitution and disagreeing with specific bills make you a "Right Wing Nut" or a Republican? What about the Democrats that disapprove of the Bill?

It's okay Rockpuck, you can keep asking questions. There is nothing wrong with being inquisitive.

First of all, I don't see where anyone is calling anyone else a "Nut". Not in this Thread at least. I've used Drama Queen and Prima Belladonna, but "Nut" is not one of them.

Disagreeing with specific Bills is fine and dandy. In a Democratic Republic no one can be happy all of the time. Matter of fact most won't be happy most of the time. The best you can ever shoot for is something that is mediocre and "Meh" most of the time, or something that will make some of the people happy some of the time. It's not the ideal political model, but it's what we have.

As far as opposing the President, well I guess that depends on what you mean by opposing. If you don't want to agree with him that is fine and dandy too. If you want to overthrow him then get in line to cast your vote for 2012. However in the meantime, you must respect the Office of the President, even if you don't respect the man sitting in it. I despised Bush, but I didn't try to overthrow him or start a Revolution because I couldn't stand the man. I respected the Office of President and let him do his thing as President knowing his time at the Resolute desk would eventually come to an end. Until that time, those that didn't like him worked with the Democratic Process and respected his Authority, although they didn't respect him. No one is asking you to like Obama. You are being asked to respect the Democratic Process, respect the Majority of your fellow Americans, and respect the Office if you cannot respect the person sitting in it!

Supporting the Constitution is good. You are supposed to do that. All of your fellow Americans are supposed to be doing that. That is fine and dandy too.

As far as being on the Right, I don't care where on a line between two points you happen to fall. Falling on the Right is fine and dandy too. The point of this thread is that we are ALL Americans, each and every one of us. Let's stop bickering over where we fall on a line between two points and stop being Democrats and Republicans and Moderates and Liberals and Conservatives for a minute and all just be Americans.

Is that really too much to ask?

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Wait a second. NOW is the time to unite? What about the last few years?

The Democrats and liberals for 8 years smashed Bush because of some of the same things Obama is doing. So why the long drawn out post about unity now?

Even if you had a good reason for your post (which you really dont). Its naive of you to point out conservatives to come over to your way of thinking. You should concentrate on getting the Dems and Liberals to see eye to eye.

Or

You could just let everyone voice their disagreements with the way Obama is running things, regardless of their political affiliation.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   

You may have respected Bush as President, but how many of your democrate brothers and sisters did the same.

Just because you didn't do something doesn't mean it didn't happen. It is the Democrats turn to see what mismanagement will get you. They must suffer the town hall meetings, the protesters and the t shirts.

You are being naive to think your side won't have to face the music when people don't agree. It was your side who opened these doors. Now they want them closed.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   

More sarcasm from yet another Drama Queen. Thanks for contributing to the problem rather than helping.

Aw thanks.. I am sorry even my posting habits don't conform to your beliefs.

Yes, in our particular model of a Democratic Republic it is unfortunately a "Winner Take All" System. The Popular Vote is oftentimes a wasted Vote as a simple Majority claims the Electoral Vote. In this system a large majority of Votes may play no part in determining the outcome of an Election.

That has nothing to do with what I said. The electoral College has nothing to do with what I said.

When you further have a Supermajority in both the House and Senate, there is no way to block or filibuster a vote, and impossible to stop Constitutional Amendments on the Federal level (although in that later case they then have to be ratified by Supermajority in all 50 States).

There's no such thing as a "Super Majority" .. I believe you made that up. As far as blocking a filibuster that is, indeed, possible. However you assume all Democrats go with the party line, and that isn't the case. Even without the town hall protest, there were never enough Democrats in the Senate to support Obama's plan.

Also, to ratify an Amendment you need a 2/3rds vote in both houses. No one party has controlled 2/3rds of both houses. The other way would be 2/3rds of the States demanding a Constitutional Convention.

Read the Constitution. It's your friend.

In such a situation, a minority party, has no hope of accomplishing anything Partisan. At this point they can either just not show up to Congress ever and take a 2 year vacation at their constituents expense, or they can tow their Partisan line and be akin to a Lame Duck as the Supermajority of elected officials are less inclined to cooperate with them, or they can choose to overlook Partisan lines and work with the Supermajority.

Dumbest thing I ever read.

It does mean that you have no bargaining power though. Until you are dealt a better hand in the next election, you have to either fold or work with those around you. You can still provide input, but you can't stand your ground and remain entrenched. You have to work diplomatically, and give, bend and compromise.

lol.. well certainly the Dems have the upper hand on some minor political issues.. but not so much when it's a major issue. They still have to contend with the general populace and the opposition party members. And again, not all Dems and Reps vote on the party line. Dennis Kucinich for example often votes down Democratic bills, while Ron Paul is well known for voting down Republican bills. Many other such instances.. I believe the media is calling them "Blue Dog Democrats" .. who opposed the Health Bill.

I am looking for a modicum of decorum from the Minority.

When you make a thread with an asinine opening post don't be surprised when you don't get a lot of respect.

Attempting to sabotage and subvert isn't American. That is Terrorism.

LMFAO did you really just say that? I think that might land in my signature box..

Attempting to incite Armed Revolt, Civil War, and Dissent isn't American, it is Treason and punishable by death. Fortunately we don't have Thomas Jefferson in the Oval Office, otherwise those in the Minority doing this kind of thing would be shot on the White House lawn.

Thomas Jefferson wasn't known to authoritarian views like that.. and seeing as he not only helped formulate a treasonous plot, but also tell future generations to plan treasonous plots, I don't think he'd be much against our movements.

I think you're thinking of Andrew Jackson. You know your Presidents as well as the Constitution. Jackson had a knack for shooting people, killing people, and dreaming of hanging his Vice President.

I call for Revolution not because of the Current Government.. but because of the Government in general.. it is flawed at it's core, to the very political principles the country has adopted in the past 100 years.

AGAIN, for the third time in this Thread, no one is asking the Republicans and Conservatives to conform.

Right, right.. it was "unify" .. because we are currently acting like "terrorist" as you put it..

Disagreeing with specific Bills is fine and dandy. In a Democratic Republic no one can be happy all of the time. Matter of fact most won't be happy most of the time. The best you can ever shoot for is something that is mediocre and "Meh" most of the time, or something that will make some of the people happy some of the time. It's not the ideal political model, but it's what we have.

I'm tired of seeing you type out "Democratic Republic" .. if you want to get technical, we are a Representative Democracy. You say we can be against individual bills.. but when we vocalize against the bills we are being "subversive" and as you say, a terrorist.........

However in the meantime, you must respect the Office of the President, even if you don't respect the man sitting in it. I despised Bush, but I didn't try to overthrow him or start a Revolution because I couldn't stand the man.

Good for you, such a good little citizen you are. I however couldn't care less who's in office.. the actions in the past 2 years have been especially destructive.. the people of this country let the Government know overwhelmingly what we thought of the bailouts... the corrupt bastards did it anyways. IMO, that makes them guilty of Treason, and I will never support this Government so long as it remains in it's current form.

As an American it is my RIGHT to beleive such things.. Be damned if it upsets your unification or conformity or what ever the hell you want to call it.

Supporting the Constitution is good. You are supposed to do that. All of your fellow Americans are supposed to be doing that. That is fine and dandy too.

I do and will support the Constitution over the Government, the same Government that wipes their ass with that sacred document.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
You may have respected Bush as President, but how many of your democrate brothers and sisters did the same.

When there was a Crisis in America, all but four (count em, four!) of the Democrats ignored Party Lines and worked with Bush together as Americans.

When there was any issue before Congress that the Democrats didn't agree with, the Democrats didn't call for violence or incite Revolt and Civil War. They didn't spread disinformation and lies. They worked with the system.

When Democrats didn't have the Majority, they still worked with the Majority. They didn't just give up.

Sure, they may have cried out about the injustices of the Bush Administration and the Republican controlled Congress, but they didn't attempt to subvert them or overthrow the entire Democratic process. They voiced their opinions and used the Democratic process to attempt to get things done, along with their American brethren who were Republican.

I'm not saying the Democrats are any better than Republicans (or any other party), however how one represents themselves in the manner of cooperation to do the Will of the American People, and in the Spirit of Democracy, especially when one is in the Minority speaks far louder than how one represents themselves when they are in the Majority.

If the Democrats didn't show Cooperation and respect for the Democratic Process when they were in the Minority, then how else do you think the Majority of the American People decided to vote Democratic this last Election?

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   

When there was a Crisis in America, all but four (count em, four!) of the Democrats ignored Party Lines and worked with Bush together as Americans.

You mean to get us into two wars and pass both Patriot Act bills?

Thanks.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Whew! This thread is a bit confusing, but I did want to say that I agree with your post. But I wouldn't limit it to Republicans and conservatives. I think there are a lot of improvement to be made all across the political board.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join