It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Afghanistan passes 'barbaric' law diminishing women's rights

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by dooper
reply to post by serbsta

Democracy in action!

That wouldn't be such a bad law over here . . .

Democracy? First off, those woman certainly had no say in the passing of that law. Second, the president had political incentive to pass it. This wasn't a democratic decision. It was a greedy politicians one.

I would edit your post, because your ending words show how sad your mind may be.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by galileo112

Now just hold on!

We have been over fighting in Iraq for "DEMOCRACY."

They had free elections a while back, and this is what they came up with.

You don't get it.

It's a Muslim thing, and Muslims, regardless of how many points you spot them, always end up at the same place.

As for the last comment I made in my previous post, I would offer for you to send me U2U your address.

I'll send you a dollar, you can buy a sense of humor, and thus double what you have now.

If you want to double your personality as well, I'll throw in another.

Geez.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
It isn't up to us to tell Afghanistan what laws it can or cannot pass. It's none of our business. They have laws that permit stoning of women who become pregnant after being raped, because they had sex outside marriage. They have all kinds of laws we don't approve of.

You *do* know that Saudi Arabia, one of our supposed allies, still cuts off the right hands of thieves?

We don't get to tell other countries how to run themselves. We don't get to choose their laws. We don't even get to impose "democracy" on them. Oh, we've done it, but often the newly empowered voters will vote to go back to sharia law. It's what they know. It's what they're comfortable with. We may deplore their primitive and barbaric rules, but it's not up to us to impose our own set of primitive and barbaric rules (after all, we still have the death penalty).

One of the costs of "diversity" is that we need to accept that people are going to do things differently from what we prefer or accept. That's life.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I'd trust Afghanistan's administration as far as I'd trust someone selling 'genuine big diamonds' on a street corner.

Imo, this latest shebang is to deliberately rile the civilised world and to justify interference and invasions of Afghanistan

TPTB feed us this tripe after orchestrating same tripe .. to fit their own agenda and to hopefully get us to support their agenda

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
We can sit here and say what is wrong or right with other cultures. I agree that the women in Afghanistan would not like this Law, as it is abusive to them. At the same time we would know the culture in that country is still very much Patriarchal and so very small-minded about women's rights as an equal in society.

We can do nothing to stop such injustices in a culture that has grown with these control drama for thousands of years as the basis of their culture.

As said before, do you want to go to war to stop such things? If so, stop complaining about it when your country does. Otherwise put up with the choices made by other cultures in the world and know you have no say, power or rights to try and change that.

You can instead choose to support the grass-roots movements in that country which are trying to have women's rights become a part of the system. This is probably the only thing you can do, to support them in their quest for equality.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj75
When are people going to learn...this is NOT America...these people DO NOT think like us, want to think like us, don't give a $#&* about what WE think, etc....

This is how they choose to live....this is what they want. When WE as a nation try to intervien we are called every name under the sun by our own citizens.

Bottom line is this...if WE as a nation try to get involved to help the people/women of this country, stop bitching about WAR. And if you don't want us over there fighting and trying to help them, then stop worrying about what laws they pass and how they treat THEIR people. You can't have it both ways....like many want it on ATS.

I agree with you. However you are wrong about Wars. Wars are never fought to help citizens. They are purely financial.

So we yearn for this type of injustice to stop, yet we all know that no war is ever declared to stop injustices...............u

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by chiron613

It isn't up to us to tell Afghanistan what laws it can or cannot pass. It's none of our business. They have laws that permit stoning of women who become pregnant after being raped, because they had sex outside marriage. They have all kinds of laws we don't approve of.

No it isn't, but by the same token we should not be supporting these barbaric customs through military or financial aid of any kind.

I am very surprised Karzai supports this, since the only reason he is still in power is b/c of US intervention.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Outline of "The Plan"

Stage One:
Send field agents to Afghanistan and obtain the names of all known individuals involved in creating this law which allows human rights abuses against women. Then add the names of all the men who are known to have harmed their wives, daughters, or girlfriends taking advantage of said laws. Bring list back to headquarters.

Stage Two:
Brief CIA/MI6 "response" agents for a coordinated cleansing of the aforementioned list. Load all necessary field equipment/supplies into a Lockheed Martin C-130 Transport as required for the "response" teams.

Third Stage: Initiate "Operation Gonad Smasher" and deposit response teams in Afghanistan. Alpha Team will coordinate with Beta Team in the systematic assassination of political heads responsible for human rights violations legislation against women. Gamma Team and Delta Team will coordinate in the wholesale slaughter of human rights violators in the civilian sector. After all teams confirm mission success they will withdraw from the region.

Fourth Stage: The United Nations will pressure the new leadership of Afghanistan through trade embargos and various other economic santions until said government plays ball with the international community.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I sometimes feel that men are just as oppressed as women (or even moreso) in today's society.

I mean we're denied the right to express emotion, if we do, or we act romantic, we are accused of being "fags".

With that said, this law is awful, but I'm sure they deny the rights of the men in the country too in just as awful a way. It's not an excuse for Manifest Destiny or World Government in the country either, what we can do though is fund the building of schools to educate the people, then nobody will join the Taliban gangs.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
I mean we're denied the right to express emotion, if we do, or we act romantic, we are accused of being "fags".

It sounds like the company you keep is the problem. They sound quite juvenile.
I'm middle-aged, I have never, nor now, have a problem expressing emotions, even tears, when a time calls for it. And I am not implying that these tears nor emotions would be due only to tragedy, I can see something really cool happen, especially concerning kids, and drop a tear just as damn quick.

A real man does express emotions.
A real man is beyond what others think of him.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join