It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Afghanistan passes 'barbaric' law diminishing women's rights

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
yea well thats the way they think,here womem has rights,and we man cant even get a job couse girls on jobs say "only girls"...sexism.
and they date guys who beat them up and they like it...
its not like that everywhere,i am for PEACE and EQUALITY between both sexes,just sayin.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Stillalive

May I just ask..if you will excuse me!..your comment...is that fom experience or and educated guess..???

Just I find it difficult to understand what relationshiship / importance your comment has with regard the plight of women that will be subjected to this legislation in Afghanistan...???

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
They can take care of their own problems. It's none of ours!

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
First off, this is something the UN should step in and handle. (Not like they ever DO anything). But every human being has rights. This law is inhumane and violates human rights.

And this IS our problem, because when people relocate from other countries with this mindset, we end up with an 8 year old Liberian girl in Arizona, who is gang-raped by 4 Liberian boys with ages ranging from 9 to 14 and parents who are so humiliated by their DAUGHTER they tell the case worker and policer officers to "Take her, I don't want her." (the father's exact words)

This is not an issue of "it's not our problem, let them do what they want."
This is a HUMANITARIAN issue that affects our entire human race. Animals have more rights in the USA than human beings have in other countries. We need to get the rest of the world on the same page and treat ALL LIFE with equality.

When we fail to value quality of life in others, we are no better than TPTB who want to exterminate those whom THEY feel are dead weight on this planet. This is supposedly 93% of the world's population. I doubt there is anyone on this site who is being considered for the remaining 7%.

[edit on 8/16/2009 by Nivcharah]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Ummm ok. This is pure evil. Please stop abusing women!!!!

And to people say the people there want to be treated this way. I'm pretty sure no woman would want this. No woman wants to be abused.

[edit on 16-8-2009 by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
The religious clerics want this legislation, I am ashamed of my government (UK) for appeasing them.

The only people who make the excuse that this legislation and the rest such as no contraception, is part of their society and let them get on with it must be men who think woment are second class citizens.

14 year olds girls forced into marriage is bad enough now it is legalised rape.

I don't know if the Catholic Church says a woman must give in to her mans demands, I do know that in the UK at least a man who forces himself on his wife or partner is guilty of rape and will be prosecuted.

Anyone who thinks the Afghan women are happy with their status should look at Amnesty websites

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by shuck
reply to post by googolplex

Just a minute ..nothing wrong with dogs..they are mans best friend and I know that from experience!!..

Savages...thats all !!

I like dogs also, I was refering to level of thought, they are not thinking in terms of what they are doing, only what they want to do.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Is this happening in the United States? No? Then why should I give a damn. Let the women of Afganistan rise up and secure their rights and independence if they want. Why do I a guy several thousands miles a way in a first world nation have to get involved in a third world nation's business. They can do whatever the hell they want inside of their borders.

Do I think it's pathetic and wrong? Of course, but I'm not afgani so my opinion doesn't really matter on this issue.

My questions out of idle curiosity though. Who pushed this bill, why was it pushed, and how did it get voted in? There has to be a problem or a need before there's a law.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by CuriousSkeptic

Is this happening in the United States? No? Then why should I give a damn. Let the women of Afganistan rise up and secure their rights and independence if they want. Why do I a guy several thousands miles a way in a first world nation have to get involved in a third world nation's business. They can do whatever the hell they want inside of their borders.

Do I think it's pathetic and wrong? Of course, but I'm not afgani so my opinion doesn't really matter on this issue.

My questions out of idle curiosity though. Who pushed this bill, why was it pushed, and how did it get voted in? There has to be a problem or a need before there's a law.

Yes, why care if you have no humanity and feeling and it's not you being abused.
Yes, there must have been a problem and need to bring in laws that force a woman to virtual house arrest, having to ask her pathetic husband for permission to leave the house.
There must be a problem and need to force her to have sex once every 4 days at least, with some animal of a male, and for him to be able to deny her food and survival if she doesn't.
There must be a problem and a need for her to have to ask this pathetic male for permission to work.
There must be a problem and a need to allow animalistic men to avoid prosecution if they injure a woman during a rape by paying her 'blood money'.
There must be a problem and a need to give guardianship of the children to the males doing such despicable things.
Tell me what the problem and need could possibly be?
As it seems you were too idle to read the article, it appears that American- Afghan puppet Karzai appeased the fundamentalist Shia moslems in order to get votes for the upcoming election.
Total disgrace.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj75
When are people going to learn...this is NOT America...these people DO NOT think like us, want to think like us, don't give a $#&* about what WE think, etc....

This is how they choose to live....this is what they want. When WE as a nation try to intervien we are called every name under the sun by our own citizens.

Bottom line is this...if WE as a nation try to get involved to help the people/women of this country, stop bitching about WAR. And if you don't want us over there fighting and trying to help them, then stop worrying about what laws they pass and how they treat THEIR people. You can't have it both ways....like many want it on ATS.

I would actually question your thinking that "this is what they want", I would suspect, it is more "this is what the men want", and the wants of the women are completely ignored.

Further reading of the thread shows that you came back and changed your opinion to this being what the men want. Please be more specific next time, as your first posting made it seem as if you felt even the women wanted things this way.

And, in a way, it is no more "barbaric" than those who deny health care to those of their own countries.

Originally posted by CuriousSkeptic
Why do I a guy several thousands miles a way in a first world nation have to get involved in a third world nation's business.

Uhm, because they just so happen to be human, just like I will assume you are.

Harm None
Peace

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Well they have made it impossible for women to unite and uprise. When a woman can't even walk down the street without a man. Go shoppign for herself, or congregate in any kind of way. Makes it kind of hard to stand up for yourself. They are not even allowed to make phone calls without a man's permisison.

Exactly how do they uprise then?

THis isn't a muslim issue, this is a taliban issue. There are many muslim countries where women have good lives. It is when a dictatorship takes over that these rules come in place. Before the russian invasions, Afghanistan was more liberal then this.

[edit on 16-8-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

What would you expect as the US' influence shrinks and it's power lessens?

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
As a woman, I can't even begin to explain how stories like this affects me. My heart goes out to the women of Afghanistan, and I pray that someday they have the ability to join together, rise up, and revolt.

Burqua, my ass. (That's what my sign would say.)

[edit on 16-8-2009 by nikiano]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by nikiano

I would think the alliance must be formed and secured long before you can start poking them with a hot poker about human rights violations.

I think once trust is actually developed, if it ever is, then you can start influencing these things.

These things take time, and you can't turn a civilaztion of thousands of years on their head. You would risk a major backlash.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by serbsta

Wow... is this serious? This is practically legalizing rape and sexual abuse within a marriage.

More from source:

"It also effectively allows a rapist to avoid prosecution by paying 'blood money' to a girl who was injured when he raped her," the US charity Human Rights Watch said.

This is a violation of human rights.
This is a violation of womens rights.
This is not the kind of justice we want for any nation.

ATS, thoughts?

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

was just thinking........Are we being leaked this info as to outrage us and get us to be on the militaries side when we send more troops to Afghanistan ?

This would make most of America not even care if we killed everyone over there....

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
OMG they are oppressing women we must rescue them the good old New World Order way. Bomb the country and poison the ground with depleted uranium essentially poisoning the country for hundreds of years.

Never mind that the global elite and their companies like UNICEF and Dyncorp are involved in the child sex trade and other similar groups conduct some of the most society destroying acts ever developed whether it be arms dealing to 3rd world countries so they can kill each other or having 3rd world countries enslaved for mining or to harvest drug crops.

/rant

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Misfit

I want to point out. That the belief in Afganistan is Islam. Christ isn't in the picture the same way as christianity.

Also, I want to point out that just because it is a Muslim country doesn't mean that it's leaders follow the right rules. Women are supposed to have complete sexual freedom, they decide when and if they want to have sexual intercourse in the rules laid down in the Quran.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by googolplex

What do you mean when you say "them"? Also, it frightening how many dictatorships have used the them=animals to sell hate, if they are dogs, be careful you don't become Hitler.

However I appreciate you realize that the religion in Afghanistan has gone astray. If a government is going to be a theocracy, not something I recommend, they should at least follow the rules or the religion they portray them selves to believe in.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

Democracy in action!

That wouldn't be such a bad law over here . . .

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Well they have made it impossible for women to unite and uprise. When a woman can't even walk down the street without a man. Go shoppign for herself, or congregate in any kind of way. Makes it kind of hard to stand up for yourself. They are not even allowed to make phone calls without a man's permisison.

Exactly how do they uprise then?

THis isn't a muslim issue, this is a taliban issue. There are many muslim countries where women have good lives. It is when a dictatorship takes over that these rules come in place. Before the russian invasions, Afghanistan was more liberal then this.

[edit on 16-8-2009 by nixie_nox]

I agree here, it is a Taliban issue. However, it is also the issue of governments not disconnected from religion. Perhaps a theocracy or a limited one is possible. However it seems that Afghanistan is a good example of one that shows all the bad aspects of one.

[edit on 16-8-2009 by galileo112]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join