It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planet orbits the wrong way! NEW PLANET ORBITING BACKWARDS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Planets orbit stars in the same direction that the stars rotate. They all do. Except one.

A newfound planet orbits the wrong way, backward compared to the rotation of its host star. Its discoverers think a near-collision may have created the retrograde orbit, as it is called.

The star and its planet, WASP-17, are about 1,000 light-years away. The setup was found by the UK's Wide Area Search for Planets (WASP) project in collaboration with Geneva Observatory. The discovery was announced today but has not yet been published in a journal.

"I would have to say this is one of the strangest planets we know about," said Sara Seager, an astrophysicist at MIT who was not involved in the discovery.

What's going on

WASP-17 likely had a close encounter with a larger planet, and the gravitational interaction acted like a slingshot to put WASP-17 on its odd course, the astronomers figure.

So a planet has been found, that orbits the sun BACKWARDS, not in the tradiontal way every other planet does. Could this perhaps the theroy that nibiru is still out there, and that it COULD be rotating around the sun in a very different way.
I think this was the little "fact" they needed to support the 2012 theroy of nibru smashing into us (creating our moon last time)

news.yahoo.com...

Mod edit: Fixed broken tags

[edit on 13 Aug 2009 by Hellmutt]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
"Our own planet" Venus is rotating backwards.

edit to add:
Ok, I can see it now. Orbiting, not rotating...

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   
This is interesting. Supports the idea of a rogue "planet of the crossing" (causing this newly discovered one to orbit backwards). However, I doubt it created our moon and it never crashed into Earth. Btw, our moon is older than our Earth, so how we got to have our moon is a big mystery. Our moon and the Earth was never part of the same planet. And it's can't have been captured into such a perfect orbit and everything. I recommend reading the chapter "Who parked the moon?" from the ATS book by Jim Marrs.

edit to add:
Above Top Secret: Uncover the Mysteries of the Digital Age

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
This is interesting. Supports the idea of a rogue "planet of the crossing" (causing this newly discovered one to orbit backwards). However, I doubt it created our moon and it never crashed into Earth. Btw, our moon is older than our Earth, so how we got to have our moon is a big mystery. Our moon and the Earth was never part of the same planet. And it's can't have been captured into such a perfect orbit and everything. I recommend reading the chapter "Who parked the moon?" from the ATS book by Jim Marrs.

edit to add:
Above Top Secret: Uncover the Mysteries of the Digital Age

I never stated THIS was the planet that crashed into our moon, i said it was LIKE the example of a rogue planet crashing into our planet, and breaking off to be the moon.
as well I DIDNT say it, it was a quote from the article
lol

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by michaelhernsin

Sorry if OT, but I thought what caused our moon was Mars, colliding into earth in it's earliest formation of our solar system?

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

Sorry if OT, but I thought what caused our moon was Mars, colliding into earth in it's earliest formation of our solar system?

Thats what i heard...
I wasn't saying that THIS BODY collided and created the moon, i said it is LIKE when a planet collided into our planet and MADE OUR MOON.

an example, of what might have caused this planet to go off.

AND AT THAT, i didnt state the above, it was from the article...dont shoot the messenger! haha

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Btw, our moon is older than our Earth, so how we got to have our moon is a big mystery.

Where did you read that? The Moon was formed when a Mars sized planetary body (in other words, not Mars itself) slammed into Earth approximately 4.4 billion years ago. Therefore, the Moon is slightly younger than Earth.

[edit on 13-8-2009 by Mogget]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Your paranoid about the 2012 theory. The ONLY thing that will happen is the alignment of the solar system. The mayans bases there calendar on the star system. And that is when THEIR calendar ends. No end of the world or anything. Time will go on like it always has. There is no evidence of the end of the world. Yes there is warmer climate but guess what! It's happened in time before. Yes there are wars. But guess what SINCE the beginning of time there has been at least one WAR going on.

Mod Note: Excessive Quoting – Please Review This Link

[edit on Mon Aug 17 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
um stop your rants xweaponx. where does the OP say it is the end of the world? Nowhere, maybe you were reading another thread and responded here, but your comments have nothing to do with this thread.

OP, interesting find. Im sure that we will also find, eventually one day, a planet that orbits "up and around" its sun, instead of around it. Probably cannot last the ages doing this, and neither can the retrograde orbit. It will probably end its life smashing into its sun, or other planetary bodies that we do not see yet.

Frak, I love science and discovering. (yeah Ive been rewatching BSG)

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by xweaponx

im not sure exactly, what your crazy mind read, but no where did i say it was the end of the world. LOL
geezus...that was way outta the ballpark. Whatever you do with your time, thats on you, but no one said nor mentioned "END OF THE WORLD SCENARIO", this planet isn't even in our solar system, so relax. Calm down, go "debunk" a forum were they actually care

Mod Note: Excessive Quoting – Please Review This Link

[edit on Mon Aug 17 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
sorry about that guys. Wrong thread. I had tabs opened up :-\

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Well actually scientists now know that earth used to have a sister planet and they think that earth and it's sister planet collided and merged, and they think that some of the debris form the other planet formed the moon. however some think that mars hit earth and mad the moon too.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Their is another theory about the moon. Scientists now know that earth had a sister planet but one day the 2 planets collided and part of the planet broke off and made the moon. That is just a theory tho. Im unsure to how far it's been proven tho.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Wouldn't the direction of rotation be relative to some point in space-time? If you take a planet orbiting, say, clockwise from what you consider 'above', then looking at the same planet from 'below' it would be seen orbiting counter-clockwise. Since space does not really have an 'above' or 'below', all this observation can be seen as completely relative and even arbitrary.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I think they are basing the direction on the rotation of the planets sun.In this case it is going counter to the stars rotation.

I think.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mogget

Btw, our moon is older than our Earth, so how we got to have our moon is a big mystery.

Where did you read that? The Moon was formed when a Mars sized planetary body (in other words, not Mars itself) slammed into Earth approximately 4.4 billion years ago. Therefore, the Moon is slightly younger than Earth.

[edit on 13-8-2009 by Mogget]

Just because the actual physical moon is younger then our Earth it doesn't mean the rocks that make up that moon are younger. As people above have said the leading theory is that a large object hit the Earth and the debris formed the Moon, who says the "object" can't be older then Earth.

As for the original post awesome find. Although I don't think the planet could exist like that for very long. To completely reverse your orbit you need to first come to a complete stop. So it probably lost a lot of its energy and is now slowly spiraling to its death. (note I have no proof, its just a guess on my part)

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Louther
...As for the original post awesome find. Although I don't think the planet could exist like that for very long. To completely reverse your orbit you need to first come to a complete stop. So it probably lost a lot of its energy and is now slowly spiraling to its death. (note I have no proof, its just a guess on my part)

...Unless the backward-orbiting planet came from outside that solar system and was captured by that star's gravity and placed into its current retrograde orbit.

Such an orbit could be stable (IMHO).

[edit on 8/16/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

top topics

join