It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

survial readiness tips for us poor folk

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   
If you're on a budget, a definitely recommend checking out the evil wal-mart. Sure, they're evil, but they also sell some very cheap camping supplies. I got a decent hatchet for camping there for $7. It's sharp and hefty enough to work well, and I'd far rather have that than nothing, if that's my option. Same thing, I got a simple pocket knife there for 99c. Again, better than nothing, if that's your option. Yes, there are a lot better knives out there, and when you have the budget for one, that's important, but emergencies don't necessarily wait on your budget, and having something now is better than nothing.

I also grocery shop slowly - stores often have great deals periodically if you pay attention, rather than just running around the store to get everything you want. Personally, I've been stocking up on things like cold and flu medicines and first aid items as they've been on sale. Even the "seasonal" type stuff stores have, you can often find some clearance items that are stupidly cheap, but things that would be good to have in your at-home preparedness kit.

I very much advocate having a personal (altoids size) kit in your purse or on you at all times, followed by a BOB, an at-home kit, and a car kit. Even if your car kit is mostly tailored to things you might need should you break down or get stuck somewhere overnight. My car has my tent, a tarp, blankets, very warm jacket, sweater, and emergency socks/shoes/underwear, as well as jumper cables, flashlight, map book, random reading books, water, tools. Do I use this stuff often? Occasionally, especially the socks/shoes/sweater.. It's all very basic stuff, though, that you probably already have around your house. I'd also recommend a shovel and salt if you're in any area prone to snow/ice, or a bag of cheap cat litter.

My home kit has a lot of food, more water, medicine, water purifiers.. My bob has the most basic stuff, though.. The stuff that adds to any of the other kits.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Merigold

In addition to getting into shape, how about getting a bike for transportation. They can be bought at pawn shops now for very cheap. Even a novice rider can cover quite a distance in on day if they have too. If you outfit one with a rack system to carry things, they become a life saver in a bug out situation.
Another suggestion might be to get a four wheeler all terrain vehicle. The 4 wheelers can go anywhere, and when carrying extra gas, could cover miles over off road conditions. In a chaos situation, I wouldn't be worried about road laws--just getting out, plus, one would probably be able to stay off the roads, something to think about.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

A brazier and an open window are a good source of heat in a winter. You need the window open just a little bit to allow the exhaust from the fire to exit. If it gets bad enough you can sacrifice part of your house. First access you attic or your basement and look at the direction your floor support beams go in. Any internal wall that runs the opposite direction is a non load barring wall and can be taken down for use as fire wood. A 2x4 will last a long time if cut up into short sections and burned slowly in a brazier.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Our local dolar store has two boxes of iodized salt for $1. Salt is an item that you should have a 1lb box for each family member. You can use it for lots of things including preserving meat. You can use salt to make milk last longer but it has to be iodine free as the iodine reacts poorly with milk making it unusable, i've heard that meat lasts longer if you use non-iodized salt. I have two boxes of salt for each person in our group, one is iodized for food eating and the second is iodine free for preserving.

Anyone in Alberta, Home Hardware has 5 gallon pails on sale for 2.45 each right now. They tell you that they are not food safe but if you call the manufacturer on the bottom they tell you they are food safe.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Hi people. 1st time on the survival forum for me.
I spent 5yrs living on the road or in squats from my mid-teens & have been an avid camper from childhood, so I've got some relevant experience. I'll do a few posts on specific topics as things pop into my mind. 1st off Bugging Out
I rarely agree with dooper about anything
but he hit the nail on the head about weight. Unless you're a fitness fanatic or just got out of the military, carrying a pack for hours on end is no joke. How far are you planning to go? I can hike @about 6mph, but 4hrs of that with a pack & I'm suffering. Is 24 miles far enough? I'm thinking I'd prefer 40 from any large population centre.
Next thing is water. What if I cant get to my chosen destination? Even if I can, my next biggest priority is to be inconspicuous, so I plan to keep moving for @least the 1st week. So I'll need to carry water from the get go & it weighs 1Kg/l.
With that in mind I'll take nothing but the absolute essentials. Stuff like a collapseable water container (5l) containing 2l to start; approx 2Kg each of rice, soybeans & red lentils + I need to get some dried veg & trail mix nuts & dried fruit for energy on the initial hard hike.
People have mentioned living off the land. Well, I know a bit, have had a go & I'm worried. Unless you really know what you're about, you cant catch anything in traps or snares until the scent of soap wears off you, because animals recognise it as alien from miles off. Wild plants are ok for some of the year, but something to bear in mind is how much energy will it take to forage them? Personally, I'll be looking to use wild foods to supplement my stores, not relying on them.
Something I think will be very useful is yeast extract (Marmite/Vegemite). Its full of salt & Vitamin B complex inc. B12 which is crucial if your diet contains little or no meat, fish or eggs + a little added to stew improves the flavour loads. & yeah, I'd say Vit C pills would be a good idea over winter.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I reckon dooper's right about fat too. I'll go for ghee (clarified butter) coz I cant cope with lard. Couple of Kgs of flour to make flatbread... Sh!t, thats about 28lbs already!
Ok, things I dont need: toiletries - stinking wont make anyone ill, its only necessary to wash hands, nether regions & occasionally socks & undies so a small cake of unperfumed soap will do.
Bleach - boiling water did our ancestors fine & works for me now.
Heavy tools - a decent knife can split or shave kindling & I can either break wood or feed it into a fire bit by bit & also kick a hole deep enough to crap into.
Whole outfits of extra clothes - 1 x spare socks, undies; a teeshirt + pair of longjohns to change into if what I'm wearing gets soaked is enough. Not forgetting the essential towel!
Piles of cooking gear - a lightweight aluminium canteen set of 2 pans + grip handle works well on a fire & I stir & eat with a plastic spork.
Lanterns or heavy flashlights - a couple of keyring pendant sized 4.5V LED flashlights only to be used when something really needs to be seen in the dark (1 spare) is plenty.
Books, manuals, etc. - the knowledge weighs nothing once they're read. I'd make an exception for a pocket field guide to edible plants.
Electronic equipment - I'll run low on food eventually & have to venture out of the woods: I'll find out what's happening then.
A whole tent - a lightweight camo tarp keeps the rain off & can be adapted quickly into different types of shelter. A good sleeping bag & thermal mat keeps me warm. Oh yeah, & making a waterproof shelter from scratch is not easy or quick!
A whole medicine cabinet - scissors, scalpel, tweezers, forceps, a prethreaded suture needle, painkillers, antihistamines, antibiotics, gauze, surgical tape, crepe bandage & a wad of cotton wool (which doubles as good tinder) is probably excessive, but I wouldn't want to have to come out of hiding over some poxy injury.
Add to all that a roll of duct tape & sheet of plastic (rain or dew catching etc.) & I'm gone!
45lbs max.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Oh yeah, I forgot toilet paper! In summer you can use leaves, but in winter its essential.
How to put this delicately, ladies? You know how some of you get through the stuff like its going out of fashion? I'd consider learning to do with a rinse & pat dry... & dont forget enough tampons/STs for 3 months.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
from what I've read.

the only thing you really need,
be a knife.
and potentially could use a sharp rock.

everything else you can get with knowledge.

many skills to learn however:
firemaking,
clay pottery making (for long term cookware),
fabric making,
sewing.

plant identification,
seedball making (for abundant food forest garden).

ya, beyond that, can learn to make a carriage for a horse or pack animal, if you're coastal or have many rivers can learn to make a boat or canoe.

edit to add:
building making, what kind of building depends on where you build it as different materials will be available and conditions which the building will have to meet.

[edit on 30-8-2009 by lowki]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
this maybe a bit more specialized but buy seeds for foodstuffs ,fast growing plants that are edible or offer some other use...

seeds take up very little space ,and if kept dry can offer barter opportunities and future crops if the "sitx" calms down enough ...

I have found my wind up torch very usefull as well ,

[edit on 2-9-2009 by gambon]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Wow, I have really come a long way from my original post. This forum has been pricless. Much gratitude to every one who contributes here.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join