It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

survial readiness tips for us poor folk

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
There is so much I want to buy to prepare, but this poor single mother is going to have to go a few steps farther in the resourcefulness department than others.
I'm working on my BOB, because yes, I truly believe its going to come to that, especially with my strong convictions about being vacinated or taking a national ID, even the health care ID has me nervous.

So Help me brainstorm here. I am trying to start with items I already have around the house.

Also What do you guys think about using Space Bags for clothing, blankets and such?
It seems like a good idea as far as space and wieght goes, but if i have to relocate after opening the bag, I'll have to leave most of it behind.

What I have packed so far isn't much, just a typical 1st aide kit with some neosporin and moleskin pads thrown in.
sewing kit
home made jerky and dried fruits and veggies
blankets and clothing. That's about it.

I also read somewhere to save your nickels. Can anyone tell me why? Homemade bullets or something?

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
My suggestion is to make sure you have a good water filter as well.It might cost a bit but it is an essential item.If you have to save for it then please do...it might save your life.
Instead of bulky blankets I would use sleeping bags instead as they can be packed easier.
For clothing I don't pack too much because I don't want to carry alot.
I also suggest doing a dry run just for fun to see what you are missing or what you don't need.
Knowing is one thing but applying what you know is what matters.
Theres my 2 cents...good luck.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
There is a book " Back to Eden" authored by Jethro Kloss many many years, I bought mine at the Chelsea bookstore in NYC in 1991, its price, hopefully still, is being kept at minimum to enable as many people as possible to afford it, it is full of "knowledge" and I would recommend it to ANYONE that is thinking of survival.
Remedies, Herbs etc, etc! Invaluable! Written in an old fashioned style but it is really worth having!

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
One of the most important things you can do to prepare for SITX situation is one hundred percent FREE.

Get in shape.

Practice walking longer distances. Get your kids used to walking. If you needed to get out of town your best bet will probably be walking. Especially if you live in a city, whilst thousands will clog the roads trying to get out you can walk out. Of course if you get winded after a few blocks, and get blisters because you haven't walked anywhere except from your car to the front door of the local walmart then you will be at a distinct disadvantage.

Also free, but just as important, plan a route out of town, or from school to home, or work from home - practice the route, make sure the kids know how to get home if they had to walk.

Knowledge is your most valuabel tool.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I've heard of folks saving old quarters and dimes, half-dollars, dollars that are all silver; WWII-era nickles were silver, however later ones have been made of nickle and copper. I don't know for certain why people would save nickles ONLY.

I think you're doing the right thing -- working on your processes and strategy before it is needed. Many of us have had to do this on a budget. I started by just getting a little extra every time I shopped, and I focused upon dried foods, and rotate the stock. Dried food demands a water source of course, so that makes a proper water filter a must, at least for me.

One food that I want to suggest to you, as it is efficient weight-wise is creamed wheat or creamed rice. Neither will give you 100% of your nutritional requirements, however they are both very lightweight for the amount of meals they can make, as long as one has a good water source.

There's much more, as you know; I'll pop in from time to time as I think of things to suggest.

cheers

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
I've heard of folks saving old quarters and dimes, half-dollars, dollars that are all silver; WWII-era nickles were silver, however later ones have been made of nickle and copper. I don't know for certain why people would save nickles ONLY.

I think you're doing the right thing -- working on your processes and strategy before it is needed. Many of us have had to do this on a budget. I started by just getting a little extra every time I shopped, and I focused upon dried foods, and rotate the stock. Dried food demands a water source of course, so that makes a proper water filter a must, at least for me.

One food that I want to suggest to you, as it is efficient weight-wise is creamed wheat or creamed rice. Neither will give you 100% of your nutritional requirements, however they are both very lightweight for the amount of meals they can make, as long as one has a good water source.

There's much more, as you know; I'll pop in from time to time as I think of things to suggest.

cheers

One can eat cream wheat on the go, dry if they need to. I would toss a tiny bit of salt in the mix to make it less boring however.

Also on the topic of getting in shape... I went to the local gun range when it was deserted and carried all my gear, practiced running from the 100 yard target with everything I would be carrying and tried to shoot from prone when I reached the benches. Lets just say that after said dry run I removed a bit of dead weight and reorganized stuff in my backpacking rig.

[edit on 12-8-2009 by Happyfeet]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I would suggest making sure you have plenty of vitamins, shop on your local craigslist, go to your local auctions (I have found great deals on dehydrators, canning supplies, and camping equipment for cheap there). And I agree with the other posters...Knowledge is a vital key to survival!

Hope these ideas help you, and best of luck!

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
The idea of a bug out bag is good but travel won't always be your best bet. More than likely if things go south or there is an emergency then sheltering in place will be the first choice unless there is a threat to your home or you live in an extreme population density area.

Having spare food and water at home is the first thing you need because natural disasters are more likely to happen and that means loss of power, water, and services.

If you have to stay at home then you can't rely on having access to a food supply like the grocery store.

A five gallon bucket filled with beans and another filled with rice along with a few pounds of salt will keep a family fed for weeks and isn't a big investment.

When Hurricane Ike went through, we didn't have a store open for 4 days and then it was just what they had left over from before the storm. They didn't get fresh or frozen/refrigerated food in for more than two weeks. They didn't get power for nearly three weeks. A lot of people in South East Texas and Lousiana got to be hungry for the first time in their lives because they simply didn't have a few days of food in the pantry.

Power outages are bad but can be dealt with if you have food that can be prepared without fuel so make sure you have some easy prep food as well.

Since you are on a very tight budget you need to use what you've got available first.

For water you can re use sealable containers like milk jugs and big soda bottles. A gallon of plain clorox bleach will purify 3800 gallons of water as long as it has no chemicals. (it won't kill giardia or crypto but those are usually found in streams and ponds)

Many items that you buy on an everyday basis are fine for survival food. Just buy a little extra every trip to the store and rotate it out.

A flashlight is essential but candles last longer and don't need batteries which are expensive. Matches and lighters are essential.

That's off the top of my head. I'm sure others will be adding more.

Good luck.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
You can goto your local grocery store and buy canned goods. Veggies, fruits, bags of rice, things like that. You can store these items in a cache built into any ground just by digging a hole and covering it with a make-shift lid. Branches and pine needles make great cover over top a cache.
If it comes down to it, which I hope it doesn't, having a well-hid cache will be more valuable than money, gold, nickels or any guns.

Just my $0.02

By the way, "Back to Eden" is a great book. I own a copy.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Here are a few threads that deal with this.

This
is
a
Good
Start

Every person's situation is different.
First, you will need to assess your individual situation.

For example, I live in a community with a population around 500.
We are surrounded by farms, streams, and lakes.
So my preparation is heavier on bugging in, not out.

Next, realistically assess what the most likely situations you may face are.

For example, I might (already do, actually!) face tornadoes, power outages, and blizzards. These would be what I am prepared for first.
On the other hand, the reality of a hurricane, or water shortage (I have my well in my backyard) is relatively low, so I'm not as prepared for these.

After you have singled out the several most likely situations you could face, take each situation and figure out what threat this poses.
Then begin to take steps to protect against these threats.

It is at that point that you will start to see how much each threat has in common, and the idea of being prepared should become a bit more manageable.

In my example above, both tornadoes and blizzards will cause power outages, so power outages bumps higher than other threats.

Power outages=
Candles
flashlights
batteries
alternative energy methods
generator
fuel for generator
spare parts fro generator
extension cords, etc.

It could go on and on, but make sure you are preparing for your situation, and BE REALISTIC!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

They make the space bags now that can be reused after opening. You just roll them to get the air back out. Use those so you don't have to leave it behind the first time you open it. 2 reasons - one you need the stuff, two leaving it behind leaves a trail.

Also a vacuum sealer for food you want to carry will make it smaller and allow you to put more in a package.

Check local church resale shops on a regular basis. Some really great bargains there and the most unusual stuff comes through. Just an example of the kind of stuff and pricing (wouldn't be needed for survival but is an example of what you can find) a full table saw worth around $3K for $25. You have to check regularly though or make friends with someone who works there!

(edit for typo)

[edit on 8/12/2009 by TXTriker]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
One of the most valuable things to have in a survival kit is one of the cheapest, and easiest to obtain. Bleach- plain, unscented, chlorine bleach. A couple of drops per gallon will disinfect water. Which will go a long way towards keeping you from dying. A gallon of bleach will disinfect a LOT of water.

A knife is also one of the most important, basic tools. Get a good knife, and you can make pretty much anything else that you need- if you know how, of course. Take a good look at Bark River Knife & Tool or RAT Cutlery.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Self-education is by far the best and most important thing you can do. Remember that men and women once HAD to rough it in the mountains, that that kind of lifestyle is not only still possible with the right knowledge, but even more knowledge can make that lifestyle far more modern and convenient/comfortable, depending on how resourceful you learn to become yourself with what's already around you or else what kind of resources (money) you have for what isn't. Survival manuals have lots of resourceful information, directions for different make-shift shelters, but a little additional preparation and thought can go a long way. Just as an example, a large plastic tarp can work wonders as far as building a temporary shelter goes, compared to just what is in the woods alone. The only trick in being able to rig things up from what's around you is to have a science-like understanding of how what you're trying to do can work, and just a little imagination to be creative in the first place.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Some of you survival experts, would you please start a thread with all of the advice and information you can supply for surviving poverty and extreme cold winter weather in an urban environment. (especially what to do without utilities such as electricity, gas, heating oil etc.)

That is where the real crisis will come this winter, and too many are oblivious to that problem.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

This thread seems like a good place to do it, doesn't it WWfish? You bring up a really good point -- prioritizing your response strategy. No good spending your hard-earned dollars on a state-of-the-art med kit if one freezes to death in the process, using the med kit only for a pillow.

I gotta think on this -- it's been a while since I have even been chilly, but I grew up in serious cold. And, as you inferred, it's a completely different situation in urban or city survival. I was talking with a buddy of mine in the US about keeping warm, and he was telling me about his experiences building a snow cave. I'd done the same, and we compared notes. Then, he noted that he'd rather just bundle up in his apartment near downtown Chicago, than forage out into the distant wilds if TSHTF.

As Oaktree and Badgerprints said, the best solution -- at least intially -- in response to sudden change might well be to stay in the situation that is familiar, rather than kneejerk into a bug-out situation.

reply to post by calstorm

Hiya Calstorm..... I don't think we've yet met
What do you think? D'you mind your thread being expanded upon, a sort of strategic approach to survival? I'd just as soon do it here as create a thread of my own. Maybe we can even organize all our collective information into a broad-based [that is NOT a gender invective
] manual of sorts.

whaddaya think?

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I think that would be a great idea. Living in a decent sized city by California standards is one of my biggest issues. I had three police chases through my backyard in a months time frame. I can only imagine what it will be like in a crisis situation.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Hi Calstorm,
Nice to meet you! First, congratulate yourself for thinking and trying to plan ahead! I know how hard it is to confront the need to prepared on a limited income. I'm a single Mom, too... living on a fixed income. (VA Pension, I was injured on active duty.) It can get so overwhelming trying to figure out how to stock anything with so little leftover to spend after bills and necessities of right now are paid. I always feel like I'm forced to make a choice between something I need and..... something I need.
I'm not so good in the area of stocking a B.o.B. Most things that will be useful are $$. If you have an army surplus store near you or one of those dollar stores, here are a few things I have picked up from places like that really inexpensively. Also, salvage grocery stores are a godsend. Just be careful to inspect and canned goods, don't buy dented can's or cans with blemishes for storage.
The '$1 or under list"
Bandages
small rolls of gauze
small bottles of iodine, alcohol, and hydrogen peroxide
cans of tuna (small, but a lot of protein, salt and oil in a small container which is a plus for a B.o.B.
string/jute/dental floss
small kid size scissors
toothpaste
lighters (5 pack for a dollar @ dollar general)
hard candy
The list can go on and on...
Food storage wise, which is what I focus on because I would probably be in a bug-in situation, I first and foremost get the very basics: Beans, Rice, and Multivitamins enough to last a long time. As I bought those basics, if I saw a good sale on other storage type foods I would get them also when I could. But my main focus was on getting enough to live, first. The way I figure it, boring or not, beans and rice are the building blocks. First ya get the foundation in place, then build up. Here a 10lbs bag of rice is $3, a pound of beans is under $1 (at walmart, both prices).
Once I got more stocked on those things, I continued to add some rice and beans every month but branched out into more variety. The biggest way I realized I could save money to spend on preparedness supplies was to start incorporating the 'basics' into my familys day to day diet. It's amazing how much you can save eating rice you have bought in bulk with your own additives rather than buying the rice-a-roni type boxes, or making biscuits with the flour you have stored rather than buying the pre-made, pop in the oven biscuits. Not buying the 'prepared' meals saves a TON of money! And it has another advantage, it gets your family used to eating the types of food you will have to depend on if tshtf.
I'd only give you one caution about incorporating your storage foods into your regular diet. Be sure as you use the rice, beans, etc day to day that you re-stock your supplies. When I first started doing this, because money is always a crunch, I'd use some of my storage up and think, "Oh, I'll replace it soon, or next trip/month." Then I wouldn't get around to it... I really cut into my storage before I realized it! It was a very valuable lesson though. Now I don't just buy storage food when I think I'm low, I buy -something- each time I'm at a store. every. single. time. Even if it's one pound of rice. (That one pound of rice costs less than the soda people grab as they are in the check out line, btw..)
You might want to check these sites out:
www.simplyprepared.com...
and
www.hillbillyhousewife.com... (this site has very good advice about how to buy a lot of staple foods cheap and recipes for the staple foods as well). I hope this helps a bit. Again, nice to meet you and kudos on starting to plan ahead. You can do it! (if I can, annnnyone can) =)
gb,
~prep

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Great Thread! I started a similar one. "cheap survival".

I'm of the mind set that knowledge comes first and that hunkering down will be the first option before bugging out. I'm doing a few things although this isn't in order.

1st skills"

I'm a Black Belt in Martial arts/hand to hand combat.
Just finished taking a spanish class.
what skill is easy or cheap to learn or that you can build on?

2nd is books

Just got the SAS survival guide also have an army hand book, a couple of basic first aid books, computer books, leadership, strategy, basic reference books and try to add at least one more every few months. There's plenty of used book stores around

3rd Upkeep on the vehichles

Oil changes and basic maintenance including new tires so I can take off if I need to.

4th. tools

It's easy and cheap to pick up a few extras each time you go to the store like pencils, drill bits, electrical tape, duct tape, glow sticks, lighters, matches, batteries and once in a while something like a hand saw, tape measure.

5th.. food

Always picking up a few extra cans of stuff from soup to canned corn.

6th basic plans ...SHTF .. fill the bathtub up with water! etc

7th saftey equip

just picked up a fire extinguisher, smoke detectors have fresh batteries and have an escape ladder upstairs. Basic stuff

8th security.

Just got a second dog. 2 mid size dogs -sure they take up food and water but the security they provide is invaluable.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

Call your utilities company now, and set up a payment plan.
Make those payments to the best of your ability, for now.

In most areas where death from the elements could occur, the utilities companies can not shut you off during certain months, usually November thru March-ish.

Check the laws of your area, and find out the specifics of what they can do.
Some areas allow utility companies to ration your usage during these months.
Again, check the specific laws in your area.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 04:28 AM
link   
First...

BUG SPRAY.

Everyone forgets bug spray. DEET is the good stuff. Screw the cancer warnings, we're probably all going to mutate into carcinogenic lumps soon anyways with all the crap they're doing to our food.

Now, that being said... You have food, first aid, and clothing. Get a water filter bottle - they aren't that expensive - and then get some bottled water too. I don't know how much food you have, but you should have 3 days worth of food and water. Energy Bars are good for a boost... get something with calories.

As for the first aid kit, consider whether or not you know how to use what's in it. If not, you should probably take a class. ;-) And another thing on that note... Pack some medicine in there. Pepto Bismal, DAYquil, and whatever OTC pain reliever works best for you. I roll with Excedrin, because it uses two different active ingredients and it has a dose of caffeine in it. And of course, any personal medicines you might need should be in there as well.

If I were you, I'd get a flashlight for everyone in your family. I have one of these little guys:

armysurplusstore.com...

It's the BEST flashlight I've ever owned. It's ultra bright, the batteries last ages, it's made of aluminum and it's ultra tough. It also has a laser pointer, which can be combined with a cat for hours of entertainment. That web site's over priced though. I got mine at K-Mart for 10 bucks.

In addition, I'd recommend getting two knives. One should be a "multi-tool" style knife. Leathermans aren't exactly for "poor folk," but Swiss Army knives are more affordable (depending on the model.) The other should be a bigger, fixed blade knife. Something with some weight to it. Just shop around for the best deal. See if you can find a Ka-Bar in your price range anywhere.

A last few trinkets you might need... grab a compass and learn how to use it. Get some matches and put them in a waterproof container. Look into "Altoids Survival Tins" on Google. It can never hurt to make a couple of those. Keep one with you at all times, throw the other in the BOB.

================================

Comfort wise, I have a few suggestions there as well:

Coleman propane camp stoves can be bought dirt cheap from Wal-Mart. I think I got a stove and a propane canister for about 25 bucks. Cooked food is always a plus. ;-)

A lantern... just a cheap... say, 10 dollar battery operated lantern will give you light for a room/tent/car/RV/cabin/whatever. I don't like propane lanterns because of the weight and the fire hazard, but to each their own.

I'd pack some games in there, too. Board games, card games, whatever tickles your fancy. Some books you haven't read might not be a bad idea, either.

==============================

All that being said, there's another thing that every good Bug Out Bag needs. Without it, the Bug Out Bag is worthless. It's the most important thing. More important than the knife, the food, the water, more important than the bag itself.

And that's a place to Bug Out to. You simply can't just move into the woods and live like a hobo for the rest of your life just because you don't want to get your shots.

==============================

And last, but certainly not least, get a gun and some ammo if you can afford to. It's a sick world out there.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join