It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the source of underground HUM noise discovered..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I personally dont buy it but here is what scientists are claiming..

link to story

Though our ears are too insensitive to perceive it, the planet is constantly generating a low-frequency humming noise, which was first discovered with instruments in 1998. At a frequency of around 10 millihertz, the sound is far outside our hearing range, as we can only perceive sounds as low as 20 hertz. Now, scientists have finally been able to determine the source of the humming noise, and also the regions where it can be heard most loudly. The find puts an end to rumors and conspiracy theories about some unnatural event that may be causing the hum.

According to a group of researchers, the noise is created by nothing more than waves, albeit not the kind that hit the shorelines around the globe everyday. Some scientists argued ever since the phenomenon was first discovered that sea waves colliding with the ocean floor might be the trigger behind it. Now, in a scientific study published last Thursday in the respected scientific journal Geophysical Research Letters, the experts show that the Pacific Coast of North America is the strongest source for the hum.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I remember hearing about this a few years ago. Thanks for the update, but what does this have to do with aliens/UFOs?

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   

The find puts an end to rumors and conspiracy theories about some unnatural event that may be causing the hum.

WTF?

At a frequency of around 10 millihertz, the sound is far outside our hearing range, as we can only perceive sounds as low as 20 hertz

This research does not explain tinnitus. I am confused?

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by TravisT
I remember hearing about this a few years ago. Thanks for the update, but what does this have to do with aliens/UFOs?

Don't you get it? It's an alien refrigerator! [/joke]

It has to do with all the theories that there is an antarthic base with alien spaceships, and all the other underground "cities" with advanced technology. People argue that the sounds are echoes from that massive facilities.

Other people say it's proof that Atlantis existed and still holds a civilization far advanced...

...all speculation of course.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
If a deep underground base can be heard from the surface, imagine how loud it would be inside the actual base.

VLF can be heard and is a source for sound
science.nasa.gov...
Schumann resonances
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by staple
If a deep underground base can be heard from the surface, imagine how loud it would be inside the actual base.

That doesn't mean anything. You can easly isolate the source of the sound with accustic layers in the base walls. You can put all the generators and all the other noisy stuff out of the base area, and then isolate the interior of the base with accustic material, like in sound studios.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I have personally heard this hum in several locations around Utah and New Mexico. I'm not sure what the oceans have to do with either one of these two locations? I do not find the ocean waves explination plausible, perhaps on the coast i would.

also can a MOD move this thread over to "Area 51 & Other Facilities"

[edit on 11-8-2009 by hiii_98]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by hiii_98

You can hear ranges in the millihertz?

[snip]

Mod Edit - removed unecessary remark.

Mod Note: General ATS Discussion Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 11-8-2009 by elevatedone]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by azure-door

The find puts an end to rumors and conspiracy theories about some unnatural event that may be causing the hum.

WTF?

At a frequency of around 10 millihertz, the sound is far outside our hearing range, as we can only perceive sounds as low as 20 hertz

This research does not explain tinnitus. I am confused?

Tinnitus is the sound of your ear cells dying through exposure to loud sounds / sickness.

Why should the research explain tinnitus?

The article is documenting the lower frequencies that can be 'felt' and heard. Tinnitus is the inability to hear higher frequencies.

Get your facts right.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Tinnitus is the inability to hear higher frequencies.

Ahh, I am illuminated o bearded one

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
*** ATTENTION***

Discuss the topic, post your facts, however, do so in a civil manner

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
By the way, not sure if it has much bearing on this, but I do know that some humans can detect frequencies others cannot. Which is why some may hear such a noise, others can't. I've done computer work a long time, and one thing I discovered was that sometimes older CRT monitors make a high-pitched, very annoying humm or whining sound. Drives me nuts. Many others cannot hear it at all however. I tested it one day, I had several coworkers come in to an office with such a monitor, and asked if they could hear anything. 5 could hear nothing out of the ordinary, and 3 could hear the noise, which was very annoying to them.

Makes me wonder what variance there is between different people and the frequencies they can hear.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Toas Hum Wikipedia
yeah its crazy everyone whose heard the Toas hum too has super human hearing or are really robots with robot hearing.

[snip]

[edit on 11-8-2009 by hiii_98]

Mod Edit- removed further off topic part of post.

[edit on 11-8-2009 by elevatedone]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

The human hearing range is somewhere between 20hz to 20khz for a child..

14khz is average for a 20+ year old, and this decreases with age.

The top end variations are based upon age, health and exposure. Although nobody has a higher frequency range only lower.

I imagine yourself and the few workmates who heard stuff have a better top end hearing range, as opposed to myself who has spent far too much time in front of bass cannons and the like.

So those who have been exposed to industrial noise are more likely to have lost the upper range of hearing.

Lower frequencies can be felt by the human body and can be heard through walls and floors, due to the science of acoustical energy and frequency emissions.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
**** Keep it off the boards please***

If you have a question regarding staff action, u2u the staff member

Further off topic posts will be removed and members may be post banned.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Wave energy? I'm not so sure. As far as I know, and I have a BA in history, people diden't mention this hum before the 1970's. I find it odd it just wasen't noticed. It is true that some technology was not available untill the late 1950's. Having worked for Navel Intelligence I know certain extreme low frequency sounds are more "felt then dectected by sound". A classic example is the infrasound used by elephates. You can feel it but not hear it. We also think before the age of steam animals like whales could communicate over many thousands of miles. The fact they have survived anyway is a testiment to their intelligence.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join