It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

As usual you got a choice, I am still hanging here regardless and I also got a choice, yes I may take a couple of days off, but I am back as soon as possible or when the disappointment worn out best thing to get away from political bickering is . . . yeah you got it, stay away from political threads.

Still too many rules makes anything oppressive I thing I have been long enough as a member to see how ATS has metamorphosed throught the years to a full blown political board.

Sorry but is the truth, the reason?, freedom of expression that we enjoy here, also the amounting discontent of people from all backgrounds and political views.

Yes the more the nation gets fed up with the environmental crap that politics is creating the more vocal people will be and the more on the defense people will become regarding what they see as an attack on ideologies.

I challenge ATS to get rid of the political debate and political forums and see what is left.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Thanks I guess I didn't catch the real story on the Avatars, I just seen that some people still have avatars of political figures as usual.

Well somewhat.

Got you.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Thanks for taking this step.

I also like rule where constantly parroting proven false information will no longer be tolerated, as well as all the avatars that are designed to trash political figures.

I also think that posting videos on a thread is unnecessary. I can just as easily open the video in another tab, and view it at my discretion if I desire. These videos really slow down the site.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Seems to me that if you want to post an altered picture of politician in a denigrating manner that should be allowed, as a post. You have expressed yourself, your freedom of speech has not been violated.

But when you make such a picture your avatar, so that this statement designed to insult people is repeated over and over again, every time you post, that is going to far.

It is like a child throwing a tantrum, "mine mine mine mine mine!"

You have freedom of speech, you do not have the freedom to shout people down.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
I also think that posting videos on a thread is unnecessary. I can just as easily open the video in another tab, and view it at my discretion if I desire. These videos really slow down the site.

I second that. I've noticed the slowness on threads with videos in them as well.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I notice no slowing down of threads with videos. I don't know I kinda like the video thing. It is a cool feature.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
If your processor and video card are current, AND, if your ISP doesn't throttle your service the videos shouldn't pose an issue at all.

Springer...

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Hum, sorry to bring this to this thread but I don't see why posting pictures of political figures with enhancements that are not profanity or dirty and nasty in nature is now to become banned.

I find that kind of oppressive.

Marg, good post. I also find it interesting how all this was allowed to go on during the Bush years ad infinitum, but NOW - all of the sudden - it's a very bad thing. And sorry, but going around fixing old anti-Bush posts and avatars is pretty useless since who is looking at them anymore anyway?

I also noticed reading through this thread that many of the people in favor of this new Political Correctness are the same ones that were trashing Bush and conservatives, and now are busy defending anything and everything Obama. This works perfectly for them. They got to say what they wanted - any way that they wanted - for years and now their opposition has been effectively muzzled.

Obama is a public figure. Does he really need your defense? And doesn't this new policy really only benefit one person (Obama) and his supporters here?

My question has to be, "Why now?" The timing and the wording of this new policy are quite interesting ...

And since this is a conspiracy theory site, how about a CT that says the Obama administration is leaning on ATS, just like they are doing with other media outlets to stifle dissent against the administration?

[edit on 10/14/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

I feel that political figures are all fair game for said "enhancements" I have seen quite a few of Obama on here. It's part and parcel to being in the office.

You may not like the political figure, but they are in the spotlight, and if they can't take people poking fun at their pictures they don't deserve to be in office. I feel as long as it's not obviously offensive it's all good.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
hmmmmmmmm....
meh.
I'm kinda half and half about all of this.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Being a Vet I often bristle at some of the .....unique..opinions I face on the board and yes I do employ a dark shrp wit but I do appreciate the opportunity to be here,Thank for your hard work.Sorry if I fail to meet standards..and my avatar seems to wander(WTH?)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Every election cycle on ATS it's the same sad cycle over and over again. At some point, mods and admins, editing posts and/or removing them isn't going to be enough to stifle the childish bickering and namecalling.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
And since this is a conspiracy theory site, how about a CT that says the Obama administration is leaning on ATS, just like they are doing with other media outlets to stifle dissent against the administration?

As a foreigner...sounds like poop to me.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Monger

Politics and Religion, Politics and Religion...

Walks off mumbling to himself while scratching his head.....

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
for the next few weeks before the election, maybe ATS can take a vacation from political posts. it would appear that everyone here KNOWS who they will vote for, and the posts will just get uglier going forward. this will save time and effort for the MODS, and of course, you can return to all the good nastiness after the election, which i'm sure there will be plenty of.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I just now found this thread, as I had a post censored. To tell you the truth, I was surprised that this was the first political post I've ever had censored, as I will admit I am guilty of knowingly making these broad stroke insults. I just kept doing it because no one ever corrected me that I can recall. I was careful not to insult people all that much, for the most part, but hey, I can't complain. I had a good run, lol.

I think this is a good thing though seriously. It will decrease the emotion involved to a certain extent. I agree that there will be people complaining about censorship and whatnot, but when it comes down to it, this site may be for the public, but it is not owned by the public. Therefore, the owners can set whatever rules they like, and those that disagree are free to leave. Or are they? Muhaahahahalulz.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

(2) Alterations of a politicians name, or any other high-profile political figure, for disparaging political effect is not allowed, including within member avatars and signatures.

Too bad the politicians themself didn't get your memo.

Originally posted by jimmyx
for the next few weeks before the election, maybe ATS can take a vacation from political posts. it would appear that everyone here KNOWS who they will vote for, and the posts will just get uglier going forward. this will save time and effort for the MODS, and of course, you can return to all the good nastiness after the election, which i'm sure there will be plenty of.

Actually I feel like ATS has helped me get to know the polititions better the last couple of weeks. And even brought out breaking news before the MSM picked it up (or didn't out of bias). I like to research the sources and make my own decisions, but overall, much of it is reliable.
Sometimes it even seems like some major news stations get the goods from here.
edit on 26-10-2012 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Wow.... seriously?

(1) Politically inspired name calling of an ideological group is not allowed: examples: "Loonie Libs," "Obamaites," "Repuglicans," etc.

I can understand that, if it is directed at a member personally. What is the difference between stating that you have a dislike for democrats and republicans, and calling them democraps and republican'ts like I usually do? Each one is voicing my opinion of the two, just different ways.

(2) Alterations of a politicians name, or any other high-profile political figure, for disparaging political effect is not allowed, including within member avatars and signatures.

Since when is it ATS responsibility to protect the "good name" of people who put themselves out there in the spotlight? ATS seems to be slipping into more and more censorship..... First the evil plant that cannot be spoken of, now this?

(2a) Avatars designed exclusively to denigrate a politician or political figure, using derogatory wording or photo-manipulation, is not allowed.

So now not only is ATS resorting to stifling people's opinions, but also the artistic expression of their opinions as well? Wow

(3) Posts that continually parrot previously proven false political rhetoric without substantive contribution to the topic are not allowed.

Well gee, that wasn't enforced when it came to Ron Paul..... Only applies to the chosen ones I guess.

(4) Posts that stray from the discussion of the issue/topic and focus on the political affiliation of members are not allowed.

Offtopic posts were always frowned upon I thought.

Politically correct censorship at ATS...... Never thought I would see the day.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
OK, I am learning, but it hasn't been easy. After an edit by staff of one of my posts, appropriately I should add, I finally clicked on the link to here. Good information and I shall heed the notice. Thanks.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
bump....for those who haven't please read the OP

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join