It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Problems With Critical Thinking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I know I'll probably get flamed for this post, but I think it's the pink elephant in the room that never gets talked about. Does anyone else here ever get dizzy with the amount of illogic and lack of critical thinking in so many OPs and replies? It makes me wonder about the age and levels of education of some posters.

Now, what will probably get me in hot water is this: most of the illogical posts (sometimes just completely off the wall and irrelevant to the conversation at hand) are from the keyboards of fundamentalist Christians. There are a few intelligent Christian posters who can follow a line of thought here, but for the most part, I am at a loss as to how to reply to many posts by fundamentalists simply because they are either (1) totally illogical, or (2) completely off topic.

Is it evidence of a failing education system? Do fundamentalist belief systems infect the part(s) of the brain responsible for logic and debate?

Peace,
Daniel

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by pdpayne0418

Do fundamentalist belief systems infect the part(s) of the brain responsible for logic and debate?
It's not so much that people have brain damage but that parts are not exercised. A person who is taught and then accepts a concept that everything a person has to know has already been figured out for them, does not develop the type of thinking required for original thought.
I know there are plenty of times that I have felt like my brain was going to break, trying to figure things out. Once you work through that, you are a little better equipped, the next time you tackle a problem. This is what it takes to be able to come up with you own answers. You might come up with just a validation of what you had been taught, but at least you will have an understanding of why you believe it.

[edit on 7-8-2009 by jmdewey60]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Well, just point out to them that bible tells them they are foolish.

Proverbs 9

6Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

7He that reproveth a scorner getteth to himself shame: and he that rebuketh a wicked man getteth himself a blot.

8Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee: rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee.

9Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.

10The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.

If that doesn't take, move along?

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

I have never seen that proverb before. But I really like it.

Very cool.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

It's one of my favorites.

I have a hard time doing this part, and I am very foolish for it:

"He that reproveth a scorner getteth to himself shame:"

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Well to be fair to Christians there are some pretty sickly and rude Atheists out there too. All of the groups have their bad folks...Pagans included...I am sure other Pagans here can attest to several pagans they have met who went Pagan because 'it was cool' or 'rebellious'

Yeah there are plenty of Christians here who baffle me when they teach tolerance and show us non believers ignorance and meanness

Ah well...do what ya can

-Kyo

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by pdpayne0418

There are a few intelligent Christian posters who can follow a line of thought here, but for the most part, I am at a loss as to how to reply to many posts by fundamentalists simply because they are either (1) totally illogical, or (2) completely off topic.

Is it evidence of a failing education system? Do fundamentalist belief systems infect the part(s) of the brain responsible for logic and debate?

It's more like an individuality issue. People are usually, quite fearful of thinking 'outside the box' for fear of alienation, even persecution from a group they belong to.

God actually encouraged critical thinking - testing the spirits(could be people too, not just spirits, or even ideas, theories, etc). Like don't always say 'Amen' or agree whole-heartedly to anyone who invokes the name of Jesus.

The loss of critical thinking is the beginning of cult behavior.

[edit on 10-8-2009 by ahnggk]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Yea God does teach critical thinking, he just doesn't want souls to rebel. many saints had doubts all the time.

Like the priest in my sig with the miracle of laciano.

But yea the lasp poster is correct,

top topics

join