It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does 2 + 2 equal?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
In Orwells book, 1984 (the movie adaptation) there is a scene where Big Brother is asking Winston that question. The answer they want, is 5. THEY want to control what people know. They want to replace learned history with their own version of what they want people to know.
Winston kept replying , "4."

When Big Brother asks you the question, are you going to say, "4" or "5"?

[edit on 6-8-2009 by mikerussellus]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
As this board is highly monitored I'm sure.... I would make sure to say 5 if they would like me to

Dead men make poor spys and even worse husbands I hear.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
4. 4 will always be 4 to me.

Until my dying breath. I will refuse to become part of the system. In fact, I will be dead long before the system is in place where I am put in that situation, because I will be dead fighting against its implementation.

1984 scares me and it should scare everyone... especially with the signs of the times we are living in.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
2+2=4 in any number system with a base greater then 4. In a base 3 system then 2+2=11 and in a base 4 system 2+2=10. There is no number 2 in a base two system so that is moot.

That will be my answer when they ask. Then when big brother is standing around all confused I will exit by the back door.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Histopherness

Nice answer!

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by gwydionblack

I agree. 4 will always be my answer as well.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

As my wife would agree as well. But I'd still have a hard time looking my son's in the face and say, "daddy said 5 guys. Sorry."

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

But its a good way to get away from a nagging wife

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I seriously doubt that the government would make people want to change the rules of MATH.
it might take all our freedoms and have us heavily monitored but changing basic logic like this does not seem likely.
However, if something like this really does happen, I would say
"2+2=fish".
just show them who is more illogical, they might leave me alone for being (supposedly) crazy.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
The point I'm trying to make with this thread, is that Obama and co. are trying to rewrite what we know. About what he said about healthcare, (he didn't say that about healthcare) about taxes, (he didn't really say he wouldn't raise taxes), about GITMO, (he didn't really say he would close GITMO), about republicans, (he didn't really say that about guns and bibles).

They are already saying that what we heard, what we know, is wrong. What they now tell us is the right thing to believe in. The only thing to believe in.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

The equation 2 + 2 can mean more then one thing.

It can mean that you can have 1 rock and 1 rock and 1 rock and 1 rock which if you count them will add up to 4 separate rocks if you gather them in a grope.

But if you have a dimension(matter or energy) that=2 and merge (+ or add) it with an other dimension 2 you will get a new dimension, but it wont add up to 4 it will add up to 5 but only within a time frame of changes.

The equation 2 + 2 tells us that the force that makes the the new dimension is the symbol + That means we are using positive pressure/heat/matter to merge the two dimensions into a new one.

So you must also add the symbol + into the new dimension. I can prove this with a different equation.

How many changes would -2 need to go through to become +2 ? I bet everybody would say 4 changes.

But if you make the equation look like this you can count that -2 needs to go through 6 changes.

-2, -1, 0, 1, 2

= 5 changes but -2 cant change unless you apply a force to the equation so you must also add the power needed to start the change.

The positive power need to change -2 is needed all the time until you have +2.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66

I never realized I would get the variety of answers that I've received.

Too true to your answer.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66

But if you make the equation look like this you can count that -2 needs to go through 6 changes. -2, -1, 0, 1, 2 = 5 changes but -2 cant change unless you apply a force to the equation so you must also add the power needed to start the change.

You don't count the initial stage as a change. And as the laws of inertia assume that there will be an outside force for any change else there would be no change you also don't get to count the force that caused the change as a change so there is still only 4.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by gwydionblack
4. 4 will always be 4 to me.

Until my dying breath. I will refuse to become part of the system. In fact, I will be dead long before the system is in place where I am put in that situation, because I will be dead fighting against its implementation.

1984 scares me and it should scare everyone... especially with the signs of the times we are living in.

What if in today's education system 4 + 4 = 5? Would you believe the answer to be 4 even if 99.9 % of the world believes other wise?

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Ownification

Excellent point! The answer, in my mind, would be not to forget. To gather the 1984 analogy further, when Winston bought the old paperweight, he remembered. He remembered what Big Brother taught him to forget.

What will be our "paperweight"?

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Ownification

For that to be true one of two things would need to happen. Idiocracy hit use right between the eyes, or the symbol 5 changed it's meaning. 2+2=4 means that ** + ** = **** where 2 represents ** and 4 represents ****. Remember counting pictures of apples in school? Doesn't matter what you call it. I could have blue represent ** and red represent **** then blue+blue=red.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Obama + bush = usa in trouble.
Two sides of the same nwo coinage just different "beleivers".
It never equals 5.

In this case, it equals predjudice and oppression I imagine.
2 + 2 makes one blue, tatooed, and screwed.
But its one big freaky camp, so its probably supposed to be like that.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Histopherness
reply to post by spy66

But if you make the equation look like this you can count that -2 needs to go through 6 changes. -2, -1, 0, 1, 2 = 5 changes but -2 cant change unless you apply a force to the equation so you must also add the power needed to start the change.

You don't count the initial stage as a change. And as the laws of inertia assume that there will be an outside force for any change else there would be no change you also don't get to count the force that caused the change as a change so there is still only 4.

Well that depends on your accuracy.

Because 2+2 ain't always 4. It can also be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. It all depends on what 2+2 is/represents and what force, idea or power + represent in the equation.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Well I suppse it really depends on what I've decided I WANT 2 + 2 to equal at the time.

Perhaps I feel it should equal Rhinoceros, or 8, or Purple Goo.

I rather thing I like the sound of 2 + 2 = Purple Goo.
Seems to make more sense as opposed to all of this math business.

Never quite learned to like it myself.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus
In Orwells book, 1984 (the movie adaptation) there is a scene where Big Brother is asking Winston that question. The answer they want, is 5. THEY want to control what people know. They want to replace learned history with their own version of what they want people to know.
Winston kept replying , "4."

When Big Brother asks you the question, are you going to say, "4" or "5"?

"There are four lights!!!"

I live by two things in my life, first one, what would Jesus do and the second, what would Jean Luc do?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join