It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does 2 + 2 equal?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Love that episode.

What would Jesus do?
What would Jesus do if he had fully automatic weapons?

link   

Originally posted by stonespiral
Well I suppse it really depends on what I've decided I WANT 2 + 2 to equal at the time.

Perhaps I feel it should equal Rhinoceros, or 8, or Purple Goo.

I rather thing I like the sound of 2 + 2 = Purple Goo.
Seems to make more sense as opposed to all of this math business.

Never quite learned to like it myself.

Your are right. The equation 2+2 without specifying what type of equation it is. Leaves it up to you to defy what the right answer is. 4 is a logical solution because you have nothing else to go on.

link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

I won't get into a Picard vs. Kirk debate tonight. Save that for another thread.

But good analogy. I had forgotten that episode.

Remember the final line? "I thought I saw five. . . . "

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I think is easy for people to say what they will do behind a keyboard but life has taught me people generally will do what saves their butt or the families when it matters most.

Realistically,could you do more good by being locked up or playing a guard that agrees with the cause? I would say the guards that helped free 100's or Jews or sneak them extra food did more good for the cause in the holocaust then the 1's who outwardly disagreed and took a bullet to the head.

Same may call it cowardly others would call it timing.

Hoping to keep your thread on track where you originally hoped and less on the Descartes views of the equation.

[edit on 6-8-2009 by whoshotJR]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

The answer is fish!

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Histopherness

Depends on the situation, I mean things like ammo come into consideration with automatic weapons, without ammo that is a missile. What would Jesus do with a missile, what kind of missile, a Uzi?

I am not Jesus, hence why Picard does at times. I am but a person and I am speaking morally here and of course I wil fail at times in my life, that is the whole point. But I will never let anyone tell me theres 5 lights!

[edit on 6-8-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus
reply to post by XXXN3O

I won't get into a Picard vs. Kirk debate tonight. Save that for another thread.

But good analogy. I had forgotten that episode.

Remember the final line? "I thought I saw five. . . . "

I guess the moral of both is, do not give up.

The moment you give up is to trade your future in for a rosy past.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I of course would remind Big Brother what he has long been painfully aware of...

I am the Black Sheep of the Family and 2 + 2 is really going to equal anything I say it will or Big Brother gets a wedgie!

Big Brother is a geek who wears horned rimmed glasses and a pocket protector, drives a Ford Pinto and plays Dungeon and Dragons.

Yeah I sure am worried what he is up too, wake me when it's over...boring! Beach anyone?

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
I of course would remind Big Brother what he has long been painfully aware of...

I am the Black Sheep of the Family and 2 + 2 is really going to equal anything I say it will or Big Brother gets a wedgie!

Big Brother is a geek who wears horned rimmed glasses and a pocket protector, drives a Ford Pinto and plays Dungeon and Dragons.

Yeah I sure am worried what he is up too, wake me when it's over...boring! Beach anyone?

The one thing I do find a bit fascinating in all of this is the terms used. the government will never call itself god yet they will use, Big Brother.

Kinda like the in between point dont you think in a way.

Not trying to take it in a different direction but it is a bit evident that they are not gods although they seem to think it at times.

I would take the beach any day mate, sadly the beaches around me are covered in trash.

Caused by Big Brother!

Im getting my dad.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

That's the crux, isn't it. I mean, we never know what we'll say when it comes right down to it. I hope I'll say 4. I want to believe I'll say 4. Will I have the guts to?

I want to have the courage of Winston.

I guess, for me, that's all I can hope for.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

Oh I would have the guts to say 4. I don't fear Big Brother that much. The real question I ask myself is not whether I will sit at home and quietly defy the government believing 4 and even saying it to them when they ask. Will I join the 2+2=4 movement is the question I ask myself? I know that I am willing to hold to my beliefs in the face of advissary but am I willing to risk myself to help others break free from the tyranny?

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

The Government is somewhat skilled and adept at establishing relationships with little catch phrases like "Big Brother" kind of friendly, kind of dangerous, wants to kind of be on your side but bigger than you.

Bigger maybe...smarter?...

They really aren't, but they do find safety and comfort and validation and absolution in numbers.

The concept that we even need governed is a ludicrous one. I some how manage to get out of bed in the morning, make coffee, feed myself, make my bed, clean my own clothes, be productive and not hurt, kill or maime anyone in the process!

Amazing huh? So why exactly do I need a government...it's nothing but an extortion racket, and a control orginization that exists for it's own power and glory.

They sure didn't help me with the dinner dishes!

The beaches here in Miami are beautiful...we don't actually have any factories or real jobs here to pollute anything!

The closer you get to nature and the natural world the more you realize it's all just drama for the sake of drama and power.

Big Brother to me is Big Looser, they either miss entirely or completely screw up the very best parts of this world.

I kind of almost feel sorry for them.

He still gets a wedgie though if he starts in with the what is 2 + 2 nonesense!

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by gwydionblack

1984 scares me and it should scare everyone... especially with the signs of the times we are living in.

The book "1984" (pronounced "nineteen eighty-four") is a prophetic book looking ahead to the times when 84 kicks in -- meaning when a person born on 8/4 (August 4) becomes the US prez. Since Obama ate his birthday cake like two days ago, its about time to be more specific about the future. If Obama was born on 8/4 would he serve 8 years or only 4 years?

Well?

Come on, guys . . .
If Obama is the 44th prez, then he will serve two consecutive terms each lasting 4 years. He can't be elected to the office again after that, coz in 2012 a different prophecy kicks in: the 8 Years of The Orvellian Period will end. Under this period, the national debt will create such a problem, that Obama will be remembered as the $$th President of the USA. That's because 2 + 2 = $.

The prove is simple: look at your keypad to see which number to press to type $.

Some say that George Orwell had visions inspired by the devil himself.

Well, we'll see. If the hell breaks lose in the word of finances, then he probably did.

Do you know that the name of the next US prez appears on the 45th page of George Orwell's book "1984?

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

Actually, Orwell wrote the book in 1948. He just switched the last two numbers to add a futuristic cast to the novel.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Mathematically speaking, 2 + 2 = 5 for sufficiently large values of 2.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I know too many people who'd say 4 in a heartbeat.

A great few who'd like to think they'd say 4, but put on the spot would learn they're really 5 people.

But me, I'd have to say 4. I couldn't stop myself in my stubborn streak, and if they killed me there and then, so be it. If I said 5, I'd be wishing and wanting death every single day for the rest of my life.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Personally I do not think there is anything wrong with having a government. People need leaders but not just any leader.

When it becomes a question of what leaders do and who they serve....
If they serve other leaders that are not of the people they are meant to lead.
If they lie to the people they lead for any reason (other than enemies finding out information, which is extremely rare I believe)
If they stamp out objections by getting other people to do their dirty work for them in cover ups.
If they spin other peoples source of truth to their lies.
If they disohonour history by changing it to support their benefit.
If they manipulate free markets with debt used in a manner that shows profit.
If they sign away a country they lead into another treaties laws.

That and many more that I could list is just an example of exactly why people need to step up to the plate and demote a leader. We all have 2 arms, two legs and a brain like everyone else has unless there are others unfortunate. Time to use them if we have them.

If you have any though you will know that its gone on for a lot longer than most people think unfortunately.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus
reply to post by stander

Actually, Orwell wrote the book in 1948. He just switched the last two numbers to add a futuristic cast to the novel.

He surely did, lemme tell ya.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

Holy crap who are these numerology quacks and where do they come from...

erm I mean very interesting and unique use of your time.

So if you round 4.5 to 5 (rounded to the nearest whole number) and 4.49999... = 4.5 do you still round it to 5 or to 4?

10x = 44.9999....
x = 4.4999....
9x = 40.5
x = 4.5

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Does anyone here think Obama is asking or is going to ask if we think "5" when he asks what 2 + 2 equals?

Is this where real life imitates art? Is Obama going to become Big Brother? Is ACORN?

I honestly think they are asking the question now. I think the backlash to the people in the townhall meetings are a result that not enough people are saying "5".

Pelosi claims there are swastikas out there.

They are trying to demonize those that keep shouting "4".

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join