It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immigrants 'denied citizenship for demonstrating against British troops'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Immigrants 'denied citizenship for demonstrating against British troops'

ww w.telegraph.co.uk

Immigrants will be expected to "earn" a British passport by accumulating points for voluntary work, speaking English, paying taxes or having useful skills.

Marks could be deducted from applicants who have a history of anti-social behaviour, which could include protesting against British troops, or even failing to integrate into British life.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.independent.co.uk
www.guardian.co.uk

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I agree with a points based system. I agree with bad behaviour and anti-social behaviour going against those trying for British citizenship.

I certainly do not agree with protesting being included and people being chastized because of this. Regardless of what the subject matter is, this country is supposed to be all about freedom of speech. What message does this put out to people? Shut up or pay the price?

I'm also confused about the "failing to integrate into British life" part. Who determines what this is? I mean, speaking English is an obvious one, but is the government going to be keeping tabs on what shops they use to make sure they're British ones, what products they buy, enforce people into going to the pub, drink too much then puke their kebab down themselves later and make them drink cups of tea while eating scones or something

ww w.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3-8-2009 by Nammu]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
My opinion: the UK should refuse to accept any more immigrants. And should kick out at least half of those who've already made it through in the past 10 years alone.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by St Vaast

You my friend, have a point, but this whole kicking out is so narrow minded, ignorant and immature. The NHS would collapse if we got rid of immigrants.

Secondly, yes the country is supposed to allow freedom of speech. However, if you are an immigrant wishing to come to this country, why the hell would we want someone to come into this country if they are bad mouthing it? If you think it is so bad...then do not come here and support it with your taxes...seems obvious to me.

You are picking at political correctness. *@#! political correctness, common sense is a much more important tool.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by St Vaast

While i agree this should be true in certain areas of the country, which are getting swamped with large amounts of immigrants, the truth of the matter is that other parts of the country need immigration. Like Scotland for example. The seasonal manual jobs aren't taken up by locals and a falling population means an influx of skilled labour would always be a benefit.

They're looking at skewing the points system to encourage immigrants to one part of the country and away from the areas that can't support them, which i think is a good move:

New rules encourage immigrants to live in Scotland, not England

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I think the UK is such an absolute dump at the moment it should bulldozed into the sea with everyone who lives there, including me and should then start again.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
A lot of the immigrants that have been allowed in over the past decade or so that this shambles has been in power should not have been allowed in in the first place, there has been a significant number that have come to this country with no intention of contributing anything meaningful to us and in a lot of cases with the sole intention of threatening the people of this country and sponging off of the state. Anything we do to stop these people from coming to this country will only be a good thing, in my mind though things should be significantly tougher and people from certain states that seem to be inciting violence against us should be banned from entering.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by spitefulgod

Couldn't agree more.

2nd line

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Toughiv

yes the country is supposed to allow freedom of speech. However, if you are an immigrant wishing to come to this country, why the hell would we want someone to come into this country if they are bad mouthing it?

Protesting is not 'bad mouthing'. So if immigrants joined you, or other British people, in say protesting against MPs expenses, to free Tibet, against the closure of a factory, against poor working conditions, should they be penalised for that? Or do we allow TPTB to decide what is 'good' and 'bad' protesting, what is allowed and not allowed? Controlling what people can and can't speak up about based on whether they originated here or not is a dangerous road to start travelling down.

Edit to add - the media slyly uses the protesting against British troops scenario in this story to rile up the population and make you believe that therefore any protesting they may take part in is bad and shouldn't be allowed. It's a good example of media manipulation. In actual fact, it's impossible to restrict from one type of protesting without restricting all protesting. And how would they police that? Follow these people about?!?

[edit on 3-8-2009 by Nammu]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Nammu

Wel if you look at it this way.

If British Citizens immigrated to another country, they would be expected to abide by the other countries rules, laws, cultures etc.

If British Citizens are penalised for protesting in other countries, why Should we not apply the exact same here.

One is all for protesting within reason, but when it comes to individuals shouting hatred, calling for the death of every woman man and child in the UK, then the tought immigration laws should apply.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by spitefulgod

What a ridiculous statement, once you get ride of all the citizens in the UK, who would you replace them with? How do you know those whom are repalced are not ten times worse than the lot you have got ride off.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Nammu

They shouldnt be penalised and they havent suggested they would be for prostesting about mp expenses etc.

They said they MAY be penalised for protesting againt british troops.

Also, to say "Or do we allow TPTB to decide what is 'good' and 'bad' protesting, what is allowed and not allowed? Controlling what people can and can't speak up about based on whether they originated here or not is a dangerous road to start travelling down." ....This has already been travelled down, trodden in and shops set up alongside it.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

I agree and have a very simple rule.....

If you visit another country, you follow it's rules.......

If you want to live/become a citizen of another country, you fillow their rules or get deported.

Simple, clean, efficient........

Don't cow-taw to trouble making immigrants, make them follow rules or send em back home, period.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

If British Citizens are penalised for protesting in other countries, why Should we not apply the exact same here.

Are they penalised for protesting in other countries?!?

One is all for protesting within reason, but when it comes to individuals shouting hatred, calling for the death of every woman man and child in the UK, then the tought immigration laws should apply.

Of course if their actions are against the law they would be held accountable, the same as any person in this country would be. Same rules should apply. But if they decide to take part in a lawful protest and not spew hate messages, that shouldn't be put down against them. And who decides? Who polices?

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
A bit of a toughie....not!

I have no problem with immigrants if they have something to offer society and help it grow and develop positively.

Immigrants who insult our armed forces and who wish to turn our country into a replica of the #hole they have come from and who do nothing but criticise us and our way of life have no right to be here and should be immediately be packaged off to either where they come from or some other backwaterstan and enjoy the comforts and freedom given to them by The Taliban and other extremist regime's.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
This begs a specif question.....

In UK, what "IS" the law about protesting against Uk troops????

Is it allowed?

Is it allowed as long as it is peaceful-no violence?

Does your law include visious verbal attacks???

Thank you in advance from some smart Uk citizen.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I'm british and i protested against the troops...not *them* per say as i have a couple of friends in afghanistan and Iraq,but protesting against what they are doing in the country.I guess i should be kicked out the country?

[edit on 3-8-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I agree with all of this. We must allow immigrants in at a steady and sustainable level, right now some people, who want jobs, cannot get jobs partly as a result of the influx of immigrants from Eastern Europe.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

Exactly your British so it is your right to protest, you can't go to someone else's country for work or Family and then decide to protest against the place that has provided for you...extremly rude.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join