It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you had a few years to live, what would you do...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
It amazes me the amount of diversity and views we have on these boards. Also I feel like we are one big "insider info" family. And so I wonder what the answers will be to such a question:

If you were told you had some incurable cancer or other crazy thing and only had 3 years left. What would you do with it?

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
The same as I do now.

With the belief that you are going to die in 3 years it may give you a sense of urgency to do things that you have always wanted to do, but people will still procrastinate.

Due to that flaw in human nature, it is important to live each and every moment of every single day as if it were your last. Do not hesitate, because he who hesitates is lost, and do not put off anything for tomorrow. Live a full life without regrets because the truth is, none of us know precisely when we are going to die. Death is an unwelcome visitor that comes unannounced and unexpected. If you live each moment as if it were your last, then you have no unfinished business when Death comes to take you away.

"If you’re holding on and afraid of dying, you’ll see demons tearing your life apart. If you’ve made your peace, then the demons are really angels freeing you from the world."

[edit on 2-8-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I would probably choose to be clear of it, and get more present in the moment, and try to have some fun and laugh as much as possible. I would give it no space, in body or mind and in so doing attempt to dissolve it. In other words I wouldn't accept the prognosis, and believe in what's possible, while remaining in a state of peace and acceptance.

And I would work to clear up any unresolved difficulties in terms of all past and present relationships, and spend time with friends.

I wouldn't try to go on a whirlwind tour of the world, worried about never being here again, no I'd try to get present to the whole world around and within, and if I was unable to shake off the big C then I would repose in acceptance, and welcome both life and death, with equanimity, serenity and peace. I would try to get to presence of and become transparent to the light of life, which is eternal, so that I could die smiling as I enter that light.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
yea prolly the samething i do now lol

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   

If you were told you had some incurable cancer or other crazy thing and only had 3 years left. What would you do with it?

Well that's in interesting question.

I dunno if I'd do much anything different.

I've had a pretty fufilling life. I've known love, gotten married, ahd 3 wonderful children, and have also been so lucky as to be financially successfull.

I've done mostly all the things I've wanted to do.

I guess I would settle on humanitarian work, and help all those that will still be here when I was to leave.

~Keeper

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
If i had only 3 years to live without a single doubt in my mind....

WIth the worry of being imprisoned the rest of my life or killed by armed guards gone...

Congress would be in trouble... let's just leave it at that.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by skeetontheconspiracy

With that little time left, all you could think to do would be go get yourself killed that much sooner by running some attack on crummy people.

That will just be replaced with new crummy people a day later?

You know, you could write something or do something in three years that would have positive repercussions over time and leave yourself a positive force long after your death...

I dunno... lol something, something sane and decent dude...

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

My question to the OP is this:

What make you think you have the next five minutes?

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I have knowen in the past and know of now friends and family that had/have this situation and all live as normal as phisicaly possible.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Omega had the right idea basically...

I'd just cure the cancer, don't really see cancer as a death sentence

but for the sake of confronting mortality in theory

I'd do what I do now... spend every minute I can with my kids

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus

I'd carry on as I am now, but when the end comes I'd want it to be by my own doing whilst persuing a crazy ambition...to become the first person to attempt an unaided (apart from a pressure suit and surf board) orbital atmospheric reentry and end my time as a streak of fire across the sky

[edit on 2-8-2009 by Taikonaut]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

My question to the OP is this: What make you think you have the next five minutes?

Well I don't think in that way, but I said 3 years for the philosophical reason of that being a sufficient amount of time to do the last few things, come to terms, spend time with family/friends, do some soul searching, travel, arrangements etc.

Now 5 minutes left can lead to some desperate measures. With 5 min left I'd make my peace, say good bye to a few of my closest friends/family/gf and immediately go into mediation and slip into death while in the meditative state.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
If I knew somehow that I had but three years left -- I'd write a lot more. I'd write more fiction, more commentary/philosophy and I'd write a lot more music.

Aside from that, I'd carry on as I do now, helping out a little, having fun and sharing insight with others.

My Bride and I chose to not have children. We moved to a country 3000 miles away from our nearest blood relative. One of us is going to die first, we know that and have talked about it. People pity us for our lack of familal ties...... I think we recognize on a daily basis how tenuous life can be, and we squeeze the juices out of life at every opportunity. Whenever I die, it will be as a happy and fullfilled man.

new topics

top topics

join