It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google/Yahoo Now Censoring The Internet?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I was reading this thread Photo - Obama's Kenyan Birth Certificate a few post down there's a post from moderator JacKatMtn:

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
Take a look here

www.orlytaitzesq.com...

It appears it was part of a court filing AUG 1 ?

I and several others tried to view this web site only to be met with this:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/13a2f3d8deab.jpg[/atsimg]

Now its not fully Blocked there is a little link in the bottom right corner you can click to ignore and continue on to the site, but i personally feel that about 99% of web users would see this as a legitimate threat (i have never seen this warning in my life) and flee from the site.

A few more post down JacKatMtn posted a response with further information

Originally posted by JacKatMtn

That's not surprising since the blogger posted this on AUG 1

Suddenly Google shows that there is malawere on my site, when in reality there isn’t.

I must be really hitting a nerve if smbd spents so much time and effort to attack me.

So if i am understanding this correctly Google and Yahoo are starting to censor the internet, well at least when it comes to the birth certificate issue, but that doesn't matter, its still censorship and its still wrong IMO.

Am I just blowing this out of proportion in my own head, or do others think something is wrong here to?

[edit on 8/2/2009 by Alaskan Man]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I think the message is pretty self explanatory. People have reported the site has having malware associated with it. The thread you linked had someone discussing the very problem.

What you are receiving is a search engine's attempt to warn you that people are reporting problems with the site attempting to do bad things to them.

Personally, in my experience, it is rarely the site that attempts it directly, but rather an ad server. Anyway, there is no censorship going on here.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

Thanks for the reply, I don't deny it could simply be as you stated, the thing i found strange is i have been surfing the internet probably 350 days out of a year, every year, since about 1997 and i have never come across a site that had any kind of warning anything like this, then it turns out said site i am trying to view expresses opinions against the current administration?

That just seems fishy to me, i do understand coincidences happen, however that is an awful big one.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Well, here is also something to consider.

People are reporting the site in an attempt to get it blocked because they don't agree with its contents. People may be exploiting the safeguards put in place to cause this to happen.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Newer browsers like Firefox 3 and Internet Explorer 8 contain built-in Phishing and Malware Protection to help keep you safe online. These features will warn you when a page you visit has been reported as a Web Forgery of a legitimate site (sometimes called “phishing” pages) or as an Attack Site designed to harm your computer (otherwise known as malware).

Your browsers are able to figure out if a website is safe by using the Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page.

If you go directly to Google's Safe Browsing Diagnostic Tool for this site at:

"http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=http://www.orlytaitzesq.com/blog1/" (ATS won't allow for a double link)

You get the following results:

What is the current listing status for www.orlytaitzesq.com/blog1?

Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 1 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 12 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 4 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent.

The last time Google visited this site was on 2009-08-01, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2009-08-01.

Malicious software includes 5 scripting exploit(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 2 new process(es) on the target machine.

Malicious software is hosted on 3 domain(s), including cybercrime-protection.cn/, security-alerts.cn/, mcafee-malware.com/.

1 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including security-alerts.cn/.

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS6245 (NETWORK).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?

Over the past 90 days, www.orlytaitzesq.com/blog1 appeared to function as an intermediary for the infection of 1 site(s) including zillr.com/.

Has this site hosted malware?

No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

How did this happen?

In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

Next steps:

* Return to the previous page.
* If you are the owner of this web site, you can request a review of your site using Google Webmaster Tools. More information about the review process is available in Google's Webmaster Help Center.

So, what this means is that the link you posted has been both hacked and hijacked by an intermediary. Browsing to the page has shown to install 4 malicious scripts to your computer and run two processes in the background.

Until the Webmaster for that site fixes those pages and removes the malicious scripts and the Rewrite Rules that are hijacking your browsing to that site to another website, then it is highly unwise to ignore the warning.

So, it doesn't appear that Google is censoring anything, but rather hackers have compromised the www.orlytaitzesq.com/blog1 website and using it for their own purposes.

[edit on 2-8-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

Well you pretty much solved it for me, totally makes sense.

thanks for the reply.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

Good point, so its really random people doing it, and not the company itself (good to know)

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I've seen that warning come up on a forum that has very few users and only legimate content. It's a small sci.fi show board and no malware anywhere on it. So it can happen to legimate sites.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

whats it mean tho when it happens to a legitimate site? is it just under attack by users who dislike whatever there showing, or is there something wrong with whatever system is used to decide whether or not a site is to be deemed a threat?

Also

I agree with the other two users who replied that I and others get that page do to people reporting the site, however that doesn't answer why the pages on yahoo have gone down from 800,000 to a significantly smaller number, as stated in the 2nd quote from JacKatMtn.

[edit on 8/2/2009 by Alaskan Man]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
It's been reported by someone for some reason. Probably by someone who doesn't like the site. Also there's possible that someone has hacked it or something, experts know better.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
The site opened for me just now. I will say though, that there is sensoring going on. Try to do a search of swine flu, as an example. Just try to find some small personal blog of some sort from some random person that may have real information or insight, you won't find any. All you will find are bigtime websites that give generic info. Personal pages on the internet have all but disappeared. I've search 30 pages(Yahoo search) in on this particular subject looking for subjective info and could really find nothing. Where are all the Mexicans that suffered the swine flu this last spring? You mean to tell me that none of them have any opinions that they have laid out on the internet? Sensoring.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

Wow your right, i tried to Google swine flu, and got nothing but main stream news, i even tried the blog search feature on Google, no luck, and i know there are some threads on ats about it, shouldn't those have at least turned up?

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
star, and flag. In Oz they have the laws on the books now to fine 10,000 bucks for violations of what your looking at.

Washington State is enforcing felony convictions for online gambling.......So go to the golden palace there, and the state troopers really will arrest you..

I lost the article, but for a long time now google, and yahoo have been tracking each users histories, and selling the data; which applies directly to you. They claim it helps curb more appropriate ads toward you, but just think about what else that could lead too.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I was just going to post a similar thread.

Yes, I got that screen earlier. Now I'm getting a different one.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I've searched 1000s of sites in my days. 1000s, bad and good. And never once have I had Google do that ever. (the red screen by the OP, and my screen). Even for Malware filled sites.

Oddly its in regards to quite possible a really really really big news blip that if true may cause chaos and a constitutional crisis.

I hope this isn't a form of censorship.

[edit on 3-8-2009 by squidboy]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
i also believe wikipedia has censors.

i've edited some controversial articles on there, even put up proven facts, only to find some arrogant editor remove them.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   
The site in question was built using a wordpress blog. Wordpress is prone to several .js injection exploits which can trigger this kind of blocking. I have personally seen these exploits in action.

The usual procedure is to append a encoded url into the _javascript files which will execute during the page load. In the case of this site, it appears the site is trying to load "login.yahoo.com" while the page is loading. It is trivial to replace the status bar message with anything you want als in this encoded url schema.

The fix for this is to look at the .js files, and all of the php files being used to create the site looking for the encoded injection script. Several rich text editors employed in wordpress blogs, joomla sites, xoops, phpnuke, post nuke, dot net nuke, easy cms among others are prone to this kind of exploit.

If you compare the files, to the files used from a recent backup before this blocking happened, you will find the exploit, but not necessarily how they got in. For that, you will probably have to upgrade the software and hope for a fix.

Thanks for reading
..Ex

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Just probably your anti virus

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I work at a web development company and we fix these for people all the time.

99% of the time, a site owner sells ad-space, which an advertiser puts junk on.
Example: those "Spyware 2009" programs that mimic a legit spyware removal tool, but in reality are virus/spyware themselves.

Could be censoring- but I doubt it.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Something changed radically in the last week.

...I'm in Canada and use Google. For a while it has been difficult but not impossible to access other countries' news [ie., google.com, google us, etc. instead of google.ca]. ...Even when I type google.com, when I hit "enter" the url changes to google.ca. I figured out how to get around that, but...

...now, I can't get around the censors at all - any url redirects back to google.ca or worse, to a clearly Canadian offering/perspective that does not have any "ca" designation in the url.

...Still working on it - advice welcome.

Could it be TPTB don't want us to know what's happening elsewhere in the world?

...If so, ATS will be even more important than ever.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join