It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google/Yahoo Now Censoring The Internet?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Even when I type google.com, when I hit "enter" the url changes to google.ca. I figured out how to get around that, but...

...now, I can't get around the censors at all - any url redirects back to google.ca or worse, to a clearly Canadian offering/perspective that does not have any "ca" designation in the url.

...Still working on it - advice welcome.

One of two things is happening. Either Google has a URL Rewrite Rule when you make a connection to Google. It detects that you are in Canada so it sends you to the Canadian version of Google. Many international websites do this. The only way around this is to use a Proxy Server based in the U.S. as an intermediary for your browsing (there are lots of Anonymous Proxy Servers for reasons like this).

It could also be what is traditionally called "Domain Hijacking" but Internet Service Providers (especially the Cablecos and Telcos) are doing it far more frequently these days. As you are most likely using their DNS Servers to lookup the IP Address of Google.com, they give you the IP Address of another site, Google.ca instead. In this case it wouldn't be Google that is determining where you go but your ISP you get Internet from. The way to remedy this would be to use a different set of DNS Servers for your Internet Connection, or again, use a Proxy Server.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I'm actually pretty curious whats on that blocked site... I have Linux, so I'm wondering if I should give it a shot. I know that Linux never has an issue with malware or anything like that.. I'm going to research it a little before I try it.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Something changed radically in the last week.
ATS will be even more important than ever.

It may be that way, or it may become one of the most censored sites on the web, sure there are some crazy story's on here, but there are a lot of legitimate ones, and i generally learn about important world events on ATS days before the MSM spins it, if they pick up the story at all.

Internet censoring is a crappy deal for every site.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

Thanks fraterormus.

Also - google.ca does not deliver what google.com does, even for local topics. I've compared several searches and often, critical (but politically embarrassing?) information is missing from google.ca. ...A different level/kind of censorship methinks.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Or, you could try going right to the IP address rather than the www.google.com.

ie: nslookup google.com

Name: www.l.google.com
Addresses: 74.125.127.99, 74.125.127.103, 74.125.127.104, 74.125.127.105 74.125.127.106, 74.125.127.147

The copy and paste 74.125.127.147 into your browser, ta da.. google.com

..Ex

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by v3_exceed

Thanks ex - but it doesn't work. I tried several of the IP addresses you listed and ALL routed me to google ca. There is a 'box' to click for google.com, but even that leads to primarily Canadian content.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Having read this thread, I'm relieved that it might not be Google's fault the OrlyTaitzesq.com was falsely reported as an attack site. Nevertheless don't rely on the trustworthiness of Google. Google has many connections to the White House, some of which can be seen in this graph: news.muckety.com...

Don't trust Google: Google-Watch.org
Don't use GMail. It's too creepy. GMail-is-too-creepy.org
Perform Google searches without visiting Google.com: Scroogle

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
There is a firefox addon that does this, I have it, it's called Hot Warning or something like that.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's called WOT, Web of Trust, you can report a site as an attack site. Comes in handy for keeping spyware away.

[edit on 6-8-2009 by mkross1983]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
There was an issue of Time magazine before the election that talked about how Barack Obama was not his birth name. And it had his actual birth name in it. But, with my bad memory, I forgot what his birth name was. So, I have tried to search the internet to find his real name. And there is nothing about it. But, I read it in Time. In black and white.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join