It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bright Spot on Venus Stumps Scientists

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Bright Spot on Venus Stumps Scientists

www.livescience.com

A sudden bright spot that appeared in the clouds of Venus just days after a comet left a bruise on Jupiter has scientists stumped as to its cause.
This time is a little different though because the brightening is confined to a smaller region, Limaye said. It also came in the wake of Jupiter's own new (dark) spot, believed to be the result of a comet impact — Limaye attributes the fortunate confluence of the two events for the attention Venus is now getting in the astronomical community.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
So, some days after the dark spot appeared on Jupiter this bright spot appeared on Venus.

Although this does not prove in any way the two events are related, it seems kind of a strange coincidence that these events occurred at the same time. Not only that, but the event in Venus seems to have been spreading out.

As the article states.

The new Venus Express images show that the bright spot actually appeared in the planet's southern hemisphere four days before Melillo saw it and that it has since begun to spread out, becoming stretched by the wind's in Venus' thick atmosphere.

Maybe it would be a good idea to keep an eye on this, and see what comes of it.

www.livescience.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edited for erroneous statement]

[edit on 31-7-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
BTW, here is a series of pictures of the bright spot from that same article.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Actually the dark spot on Jupiter appeared on July 19th according to this article.
jupiter.samba.org...

And according to the images, the bright spot on Venus started on July 13th, so the bright spot on Venus appeared first, it just wasn't reported.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Just checked with SOHO and from July 15-17 there was no activity, however, there is no data for the 13-14 of July.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
This is pretty weird. you don't think this has anything to do with the upcoming meteor showers, or anything like that do you? Maybe there are some larger objects that tagged along this time....

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Ventessa

To tell you the truth I don't know, just like astronomers have no idea what could have caused this. There was no noticeable solar activity for the time period of July 15-17th, and as the article states it does not seem that this was caused by volcanic activity on Venus.

It could be possible that an asteroid did this, but we just don't know. It is however a bit strange that this happened within days of the dark spot in Jupiter, however this by itself does not really show the same causality.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
But if it was a meteoroid it could only have been one rich in water ice, because rocky meteoroids cause dark spots like the one in Jupiter.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
hi, already and posted and discussed here -

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Ah, didn't notice, I made a search and nothing came out. At least the same topic can be discussed in two different forums at the same time.

Thanks for the link to your discussion.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
no worries man. the search function on here is a bit tempremental i know.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
This is extremely strange in my mind. What are the odds?

Out of curiosity, how are they sure the new "scar" on Jupiter was formed by a comet? Didn't a massive spot form when we crashed one of our probes loaded with plutonium "into" Jupiter?

The scar on Jupiter has been reported as increasing in size:

latimes.com

I haven't, as yet, been able to find anything that says the saw the object hit or enter Jupiters atmosphere. The above article even says it was not seen.

So we have two unknown objects/events within days of each other causing the formation of spots on two separate planets?

Anyone ever see 2010: The Year We Make Contact?

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   
did you know the black scar on jupiter split into two ?

also there was two separate swastika shaped cyclone storms on venus's south pole 1-2 yrs ago.

-

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

That's why there's no sign of the south pole Nazi base...

It was on Venus the whole time!

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Maybe the Maitreya crash landed?

Perhaps the battle for good and evil is taking pace on in the skies? Venus vs Jupiter. The Bible was supposed to be for them, but someone read the planet code wrong. :doh:

Seriously, though . . . that is strange . . . and I do not believe in coincidences.

[edit on 8/1/2009 by Lemon.Fresh]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   
I bet some Dick (you know Cheeny or somebody) created a really neat new WMD and used Venus as a testing ground. The old, "I'll show you mutual assured destruction" maneuver.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Could it just be a weather system?

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaCCCa
Could it just be a weather system?

Or a volcano? (I know nothing about venuphysics).

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I think the odds of these 2 events within the same couple of days are highly likely. One was a meteorite impact and the other likely to be Volcanic Ash from a VEI4/5 volcanic Eruption.
Our Solar System isnt dead as people would like to think, theres Geysers on Saturns Moons, massive storms and Lightning on Jupiter, Sandstorms/Dust Devils on Mars. Things are always erupting on Venus and meteors crashing on the Moon aswell as other Planets..I could go on. The textbook idea that our Solar System is dead and that only Earth has anything going on Geographically/Volcanologically/Meteorologically is a myth.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse
Just checked with SOHO and from July 15-17 there was no activity, however, there is no data for the 13-14 of July.

How convenient.

[edit on 1-8-2009 by Copernicus]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join