It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DIY DNA: "Biohackers" creating own bugs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   

DIY DNA: "Biohackers" creating own bugs

news.sky.com

Amateur scientists are creating mutant microbes in labs they've set up in their own homes with the help of Ebay and YouTube.
The growing group of self-styled "biohackers" say they are creating the genetically-engineered bugs in makeshift gene laboratories for fun.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
This is crazy crap.
How has this been able to be?

If its as wide spread as is said,then who knows who else is out there doing this.
Could this be leading up to something to do with how the swine flu came about?
I wouldn't believe it but it would be taken by the gullible if trying to cover a major labrotory having been the cause,

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by gallifreyan medic
This is crazy crap.
How has this been able to be?

Because it's frighteningly easy.

There are at least three fun experiment labs that I know of for a grade 9 science class... extracting DNA from peas, wheat or bananas. All you need is some detergent, salt water and some meat tenderizer and you can isolate the DNA from any of these things (and probably others).

Get your hands on the correct restriction enzymes, plasmids and cell lines and voila! All university science students manipulate DNA in their undergrad labs.

What are you going to do? Ban the study of science? Arrest every person who has taken a university level science course?

The genie is out of the bottle on this technology.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Sarkazmon

It is something that has slipped me by.
Just a matter of time now until you here of some one having been murdered by a pee'd of neighbour who used one of his own home projects.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by gallifreyan medic

TPTB have been trying to ban home chemistry for years now.
Take for example the complete dumbing down of chemistry in the school systems. They want to control everything having to do with chemistry because a resourceful citizen is a bad citizen.

The following book was used in schools in the early 60's and the last edition was published in 1963. The book was deemed too dangerous for public viewing. Only 126 copies are known to still exist worldwide.

The Golden Book Of Chemistry Experiments
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6d0353048a8a.jpg[/atsimg]

The Golden Book of Chemistry Experiments was a children's chemistry book written in the 1960s by Robert Brent and illustrated by Harry Lazarus and published by Western Publishing in their Golden Books series. Many of the experiments contained in the book are now considered highly dangerous for unsupervised children, and would not appear in a modern children's chemistry book. OCLC lists only 126 copies of this book in libraries worldwide. It was said that the experiments and information contained herein were too dangerous for the general public[citation needed].

The book was a source of inspiration to David Hahn, nicknamed "the Radioactive Boy Scout" by the media, who tried to collect a sample of every chemical element and also built a model nuclear reactor, which led to the involvement of the authorities.

en.wikipedia.org...

You can find PDF copies all over the web thanks to Google

You'd be surprised what kind of stuff you can make very easily.

Happy Trails

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

I'll be careful not to go upsetting little Tim/Tina down the road then.
Who knows what they're concocting in there bedrooms after school.

I prefered the old electronics kits you used to get at Tandys and Radio Shack.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Ima get this and mess around with that stuff along with my experiments from "magnetic current" by ed leedskalin.
These kids are awesome doin this stuff in their garages. Sure it could be dangerous for themselves at times...but who says this knowledge should only belong to you if you pay upwards of 15 grand? Seems to me that we SHOULD be figuring things out the old school way.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I think this opens up a brand new industry for "cures" to these biohackers.

Like anti-viral software in computers, now we need the anti-virals for junior bio-hackers.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by mooseinhisglory

I can just see it now,the loner scenario.

Reporter hearing from witness outside of school that had something released in the buildings.

"He kind of kept himself to his self but no one would of expected him of doing this"

As the bodies are being carried out of the school by men in Bio-suits.

Yes I know its a bit over the top,but its an over the top world we currently live in.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Reply to post by mikerussellus

I think that via the odd home mishap while doing will decrease the numbers.If not killed, would not want to get back doing.:-p

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   

reply to post by mooseinhisglory

I can just see it now,the loner scenario.

Reporter hearing from witness outside of school that had something released in the buildings.

"He kind of kept himself to his self but no one would of expected him of doing this"

As the bodies are being carried out of the school by men in Bio-suits.

Yes I know its a bit over the top,but its an over the top world we currently live in.

Shocking as it may seem to you, but no it isn't. High School kids are much more likely to die via a lightening strike than at the hands of some jilted schoolmate.

The world we live in is one where the media tries it's hardest to keep you as frightened and suspicious of your fellow man as possible. And, naturally, the masses are only too willing to comply.

It doesn't occur to you that these so-called 'bio-hackers' could potentially benefit humanity, rather than assuming that they intend to kill you and everybody you care for? Should we legislate against home-brewed science experiments?

Stay scared, buddy.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

i think i just found something new to read..

thanks

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Monger

NAILED IT!!!

thats the most thoughtful response i have seen in a long time, its great insights like yours that always keeps me coming back. props to you.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Monger

Ok BUDDY, you nothing about me but I'll let your young presumptious opinion pass.

By what you wrote you show you are not as wise to what goes on in the world as you think you are.
Hopefully with age you may wisen up abit more.

Also try reading posts for what they are not jump if it kind of hits a nerve.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   

reply to post by Monger

By what you wrote you show you are not as wise to what goes on in the world as you think you are.
Hopefully with age you may wisen up abit more.

Indeed, perhaps as I grow older I'll learn to be as frightened as you.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Monger

Frightened?
You got to be joking.

When you've learned to see and balance out the good and bad.
You'll then have the intelligence to distinguish the difference between fightened and caring.

new topics

top topics

join