It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boston cop calls Gates 'banana-eating jungle monkey' in mass e-mail

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
rawstory.com...

The Fox affiliate in Boston has published the text of the email Boston police officer Justin Barrett sent in which he referred to Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates, Jr., as a "banana-eating jungle monkey."

It now appears Barrett's email was a letter to the editor of the Boston Globe, complaining of the Globe's coverage of the Gates arrest on July 16.

LEO's have the same rights to freedom of speech as any citizen. But I seriously doubt if this is going to make any headway into public relation with the black community.
Or with his fellow black officers. Adios Officer Barrett.

This was such a bone head statement and stupid action to publish it on the www.
"Can't we all just get along"

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Maybe he was being too honest with something and this is all just a setup to get him out of his position,

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I'm of african-american descent and I find this funny. And yes, I support the man's right to say whatever the **** he wants.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
So? Who cares? He is just another racist like Gates and Obama, and you dont hear the MSM ripping into Gates or Obama do you? No, of course not. No black person can be racist, right?

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
but who really cares, though? If they're racist, forget them. It is not any individuals responsibility to judge or change another individual.

[edit on 7/30/09 by CSquared288]

link   
He called the Boston Globe editor a "hot little bird" and an "infidel" as well?

This guy is nutz!!

link   
reply to post by whaaa

Here is the actual quote

"If I was the officer [Gates] verbally assaulted like a banana-eating jungle monkey, I would have sprayed him in the face with OC [pepper spray] deserving of his belligerent non-compliance."

He didn't call anyone a name, he used a frame of reference to make a point.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
LEO's have the same rights to freedom of speech as any citizen.

it's not that i believe he has no right to hold or express that opinion, i believe he doesn't have any right to be a police officer if he cannot do the duty he has sworn to do because he holds and expresses that opinion.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
inapropriate for a cop, especially on the peoples dime, to behave this way.

he should face the consequences.

there is so much more valid reasons why that gates fellow is a fit target for criticism, than his skin color.

racism is just lazy.

say, speaking of racism:

Just how nuts are the communists and black supremacist maniacs Comrade Obama has run with all his life? This video of his pal Henry "Skip" Gates offers another clue:

Henry Gates Rant In 1996 On "Racist White Institutions"

What a surprise: He loves race quotas, and hates the South so much he doesn't even like to fly over North Carolina. Skip sure sticks it to that Uncle Tom Clarence Thomas! Dropping the N-bomb really establishes his authenticity, doesn't it?

Source: Skip Gates Takes the Stage

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

towards the end of the mail he says gates has "transcended back to a bumbling jungle monkey".

although, i agree with a lot of what he says about slanted reporting, he went around it in a very bad way.

on an aside, at the start of the letter he claims to be a former english teacher and then types "ax" instead of "ask" about 5 times, this guy doesn't really have a whole lot of luck in his chosen professions.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Some people are just too PC.

Who cares, he said what was on his mind. Lighten up people. You want to end the racism in this country then you have to quit going nuts over little things like this.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Hey thanks for finding that.
He actually did write that hateful stupid line, my bad.

AP reported that "Barrett was trained in racial profiling prevention and had shown no signs of racial discrimination in the past."

[edit on 30-7-2009 by Hazelnut]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
little things like that ???????? wow..... if you think thats a little thing to say about someone I can only imagine what you would say about other people with a different skin color..... this LEO should be immediatly suspended... yes we all have freedom of speech but not when you are representing your employer .... I would dare anyone who works for a business or corp to write a personal email or a blog that the world can see... and tell them who you work for and then call someone like gates a monkey.... see what happens to you after your employer finds out..

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
remember citizens when you become a LEO you represent your city and your police department... when you talk like you represent the KKK your job will not last... sorry to say but this guy is going to go, and im sure there will be another media circus over this email... NICE JOB bumbling idiot lol

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by thefreepatriot

I think that's something inconsequential to say to a person of colored skin. Why does it matter? Explain that to me. I don't care what the man says, I care what he does.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
if you are a man that is supposed to be upholding the law it is in fact not INCONSEQUENTIAL... you are supposed treat all citizens with respect and equality... regardless of race.... and your actions represent your department as a whole on or off duty... if you are a LEO or an employer of any organization it is Absolutely NOT INCONSEQUENTIAL.. who do you work for and state your name for the record so we may forward your point of view for your employer... since its so inconsequential you wouldn't mind would you?

[

[edit on 30-7-2009 by thefreepatriot]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by CSquared288

I think that's something inconsequential to say to a person of colored skin. Why does it matter? Explain that to me. I don't care what the man says, I care what he does.

How would any of his arrests ever stand up in court? They would put him on the stand, ask if he said those things, call him a racist and throw out every arrest he ever made!

There is no way he can be an effective LEO with this type of attitude, or this type of stigma attached to him.

Plus, if he was stupid enough to put this in writing, his decision making skills are pretty bad as well!!

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   

>SNIP<
I'm 21 years old and I'm self-employed nice try though.

and go up to the third post and read before you get all righteous on me.

[Mod Edit - Please don't post personally identifying information]

[edit on 7/30/2009 by yeahright]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
self employed great so your community would love to know how you feel... especially the black community..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join