It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rats as large as dogs regularly seen in UK

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
This is not a specific area of interest for me normally although i have read James Herbert's The Rats, Lair and Domain which i found thought provoking and entertaining.

I was driving into work early this morning when i heard the host on a national talk radio station speaking to a guy from Hull, a large town on the North east coast of the UK. This guy works on the docks in Hull and he was calling in to answer a question posed earlier in the show (before i was listening) as to whether there was any truth to the rumour of what were termed "Giant Rats" being rife in the UK.

He said that he and his colleagues regularly see these creatures on a daily basis and that it was so much of an everyday occurrence that they didn't ever bother reporting the fact to anyone else. When asked as to the size he said that the largest ones were about the equal of a collie dog. He went on to say that one of his colleagues keeps a buzzard as a pet and that when one of these rats is killed or caught (i cant remember which he said) it gets given to that guy as food for the buzzard.

Shortly after he hung off another man called in, i cant remember exactly but i think he was from Liverpool and he said pretty much the same thing. He had seen very large rats many times on his route to work, early in the mornings, again by the docks.

Pictures are something that i obviously do not have as it was a radio show but hopefully this will be followed up by a section of the national press. If that happens i will post links on this thread, that is if it doesn't get removed as i know this subject has been covered before but, as far as i can see, not for a good while.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by davedat2

Are you serious that rats are as large as dogs?

What about fishermen's stories about fish? I mean, they are probably exaggerating.

I hope so.

This is quite weird as I have just posted about rats being used in experiments.

Maybe the rats are fighting back?

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   
there are loads of rats in the UK, just go to the house of commons rats the size of humans regularly scurry up and down the corridors.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   
The two reported sightings of giant Rats by docks leads me to wonder if the rats are non-native and are coming off docking ships from overseas.

Perhaps they are Bamboo Rats?

www.telegraph.co.uk...

en.wikipedia.org...

Putting aside possible eyewitness exaggeration of size, they're gonna need a bigger mouse trap.....

Another thing to add hower, is that Harry Patch, who was the last surviving British Tommy Soldier of WW1 and who died last week, told how he saw Rats "as big as cats":

www.lightinfantry.org.uk...

From the link:

Rats as big as cats. Anything they could gnaw, they would - to live. If you didn't watch it, they'd gnaw your shoe laces. Anything leather, they would nibble that. As you went to sleep, you would cover your face with a blanket and you could hear the damn things run over you.

Perhaps their size was attributed to the abundant of corpses to feed on.

[edit on 30-7-2009 by Regensturm]

CX

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Not sure about rats the size of dogs, maybe a small dog but thats pushing it still.

I remember years back when i was a kid, we had a rat problem in the village and there were some caught the size of an average cat.

London would be a good place to start looking for them though, they are everywhere.

CX.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

They say when you are in London, you are never a yard away from a rat.

That is quite horrifying, let alone the size of dogs or cats!

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
there are loads of rats in the UK, just go to the house of commons rats the size of humans regularly scurry up and down the corridors.

Oh come now! That comparison is rather unfair and derogatory towards rats.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   
As big as a Collie? That's pretty big...

I wonder if these sightings are of common brown rats (Rattus norvegicus) aka sewer rats or rather another species like the Gambian/African Pouched Rat?

The biggest rats ever caught doesn't come close to dog-sized:

The largest rats in the world are the African giant pouched rats. In general, they have a mass of 1 to 1.47 kg (2.2 to 3.23 lbs), and grow to a length of 65 to 91 cm (25.39 to 35.83 in).

Most people are familiar with Norway rats; they generally weigh between 10 and 18 ounces and can grow up to 18 inches (a 2-ft. Norway rat, or domestic rat, would be a monster!). The biggest Norway rat ever caught in a city -- or at least the biggest on record -- was a 2.4 pound giant, caught by Brian Plummer in London.

Source

Largest Rat Ever Caught: Most large urban rats weigh under a 3/4 of pound. Despite the ubiquitous "it was larger than a cat" description of city rats, few rats weigh much more than a pound. The largest dog-caught rat ever weighed (by Brian Plummer) was a monster that tipped the scales at 2.4 pounds.

Source

Perhaps it may be a completely undiscovered species... Or a surviving Josephoartigasia Monesi?

These guys weighed over a ton and their skulls alone were 20 inches long... (Although they went extinct about 3 million years ago...)

More on them

There are all these "urban legends" about these gigantic rats... Well, show us then

[edit on 30-7-2009 by Gemwolf]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I think this post relates to "Coypu" Large beaver like animals with rat like tails.

Although not native to the UK, I think some escaped from "Fur Farms" and are now living happily here.

WIKI

Just noticed there was an eradication programme to remove them all ........Although there are still reports of them here.

[edit on 30-7-2009 by ken10]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I was driving through Westminster about 3 years ago and Yes I saw the post about the human rats in the Houses of Parliament, but I was taking a side road and approaching a junction on my motorcycle, when this huge [snip] rat crossed the road, I wouldn't say it scurried, it more like sauntered across.

It was the size of a small dog, not chihuahua sized , it must have been slighty bigger than a Jack Russell or similar sized pooch. I think it would even give a cat pause for thought about chasing it.

Needless to say I told the wife about it and she said about the politicians as well, but I have also heard that unlike a post earleir apparently we are never more than 3 metres away froma rat, and if they're THAT big, then I'd worry if they started heading up into the streets enmass looking for food.

[edit on 30/7/09 by DataWraith]

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 30-7-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

The same is true about NYC. Cities are disgusting cesspools. It never fails to blow my mind when some urbanite comes up here and freaks out about fisher cats or black bear as though they are foreign entities here to eat their children all the while their densely populated garbage heap is overrun with rodents and roaches and the poisons their local "authorities" use to attempt control of the species.

That's what happens when you live in a garbage dump with millions of other animals all stacked and jammed anywhere they can find space.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Regensturm

Oh come now! That comparison is rather unfair and derogatory towards rats.

He's referring to Rattus Expensicus not to be confused with the more common Rattus Norvegicus.

I love rats and sincerely hope that they aren't getting any bigger. It would be a disaster for them. They've a much better chance of survival if they stay small.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Next to fish, I think people exaggerated the size of rats more often than not. The common sewer rat, which is a brown norway rat does not get that big. I know because I have them. In a prefect environment with endless supply of food, they maybe get to be 500grams. And that would be a whopper. Sewer rats have tough lives, and very few die from old age.

I have other rats that get quite large, if you let them. Sprague Dawley and Long Evans rats get almost double the size of the brown norways. But you won't find these in the wild. There albino and wouldn't stand a chance.

Unless there are some exotic rats running around, people are overestimating the size.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Tha'ts funny, I quite often see dogs the size of rats also!

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I have to reiterate that i have no vested interest in saying that there are rats the size of dogs, it just piqued my interest when i heard these guys speaking about it.

I would direct people to the way James Herbert quantifies this in his work of fiction, "The Rats". He intimates that these huge rats are no different to their smaller predecessors other than when they realise that they can be the hunter now, rather than the hunted. Basically he is saying that a change in size does not affect the natural order of things but a change in mentality definetely carries with it much more sinister meanings.

I have no idea whether the men i heard on the radio show were telling the truth but from the tones of their voices i didn't doubt them at the time. I believe the most relevant part of all this is that they were both telling of large rats in, or around, the docks areas of their towns or cities. This makes sense to me with the water, constant supply of food and desolate nature of docks after the working day is done it would seem like the perfect scenario in which to find rats.
As to what would enable them to grow abnormally large, i do not know.

But i would still like to see one......from a distance......if not through a telescope then at least through a pair of binoculars.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Pure lies.
If these guys on the docks actually saw "a rat as big as a collie " they'd be trapping it and selling ther story to the daily star.

I've seen some giants on an island off Thailand but they'd still have got torn to bits by a decent ratting dog.

Either they are lieing or mistaken as I doubt that they'd confuse any of the really large none european rat varieties for anything but that.......

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I can say that I've seen rats first-hand in England the size of housecats; that was about 20 years ago. I was on a work experience scheme with a local graphic design house, and one of their facilities was out at an industrial park, a fairly remote sub-rural location. Next to it was a landfill, and every morning you'd see the whole surface of the thing moving; literally crawling with rats. And no kidding, those bastards were HUGE.

The dockworker's story reminds me of when I used to head out there at 6-7am every morning.

[edit on 8-8-2009 by veritasvoice2009]

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   

That's funny - star for you!

as big as collies?? Some how I doubt that, a wee bit of exaggeration I think.

They can get pretty large though if there is enough food about and not too many rats (the more rats you have the younger the average age of the group tends to be) - a house cat size I would think is the biggest - but who knows? Maybe they live in toxic radioactive goo!

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by davedat2

RatsOfUnusualSize?
R.O.U.S.
Of course, they live in the Fireswamp.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Canadians have HUGE pack rats, or "wood rats". They aren't as big as collies, but they are larger than some breeds of small dogs.

They could have easily hitched a ride with some Canadian lumber. Then, add a dash of exaggeration, and voila! As big as a collie.

Canadian Wood rat

I've seen them as well. They get bigger every time I tell my story, too. haha.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join