It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA to Provide Web Updates on Objects Approaching Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Well this is great news for all of us who have placed so much time into searching various websites for the latest breaking news on NEO's. I was pleased to see that JPL has finally taken the initiative and created a site where we can stay alert to many of the objects which are a potential danger or threat to our Planet.

DC Agle 818-393-9011
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif.
[email protected]

INTERNET ADVISORY: 2009-115 July 29, 2009

Most people have a fascination with near-Earth objects," said Don Yeomans, manager of NASA's Near-Earth Object Program Office at JPL. "And I have to agree with them. I have studied them for over three decades and I find them to be scientifically fascinating, and a few are potentially hazardous to Earth. The goal of our Web site is to provide the public with the most up-to-date and accurate information on these intriguing objects."

The new Asteroid Watch site is online at www.jpl.nasa.gov... .

Lets just hope that they dont go down for maintenance during times of potentially interesting NEOs as we have all witnessed in the past. I have to wonder just how much they are willing to actually share with us when the surprise objects begin wandering into our solar system.

You will also be able to access more information from your Twitter account.

PASADENA, Calif. -- NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory is introducing a new Web site that will provide a centralized resource for information on near-Earth objects – those asteroids and comets that can approach Earth. The "Asteroid Watch" site also contains links for the interested public to sign up for NASA's new asteroid widget and Twitter account.

Any way thats it just thought you might want to check out the new site offered by NASA and JPL.

***JPL is a division of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena.***

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Here is the NASA link:
www.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up

Here`s the link for you fellow Twitters

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MrGrey1701

Thankyou for the Twitter link! Yes I really hope this is going to make things more exciting around here in the near earth object future... LOL!

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
www.spaceweather.com has updates already, have for a while. but glad to see someone else cares. It has been kinda quite lately, March and may were good for NEO's, some even went below the orbiter distances.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Yes you have been here long enough to see how excited we all get when NEOs approach! Fun we are!

I literally go bonkers, but thats just me. I guess if you had to go out it would not be a bad way to go.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I have a cousin that happens to be a professor in the Superior area that had said to me the only things that he is worried about is Yellowstone, comets and asteroids. Only about 40% of space can be watched, that leaves a large possibility of something gettin past our detection. That for me.. is exciting.

new topics

top topics

join