It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whale saves drowning diver

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by skibtz

Beluga Whales eat Salmon by the ton! They must not agree with you?

Since they, you believe, are sentient and they are also carnivores, how do you justify that other Carnivores and Omnivores (us) should not eat meat?

Great story though, and I've never eaten a Beluga so I'm OK.

I should have also mentioned that Killer Whales eat the Beluga's. Life goes on as it should.

[edit on 7/29/2009 by Blaine91555]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by skibtz

I love it when things like this happen.

I am so sick and tired of hearing the pro-whaling/hunting crowd bang on about how other living entities can be hunted and killed just because they believe that the creatures are not sentient et al.

This whale recognised that the diver was in trouble and pushed them to the surface in order to save her.

Not only are whales sentient entities but they clearly recognise when another being, despite being a different species, is in trouble and then helps to preserve that life.

Amazing stuff.

www.thesun.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 29/7/2009 by skibtz]

Truly amazing !
Starred and flagged !
But not only did the whale UNDERSTAND that the diver was in distress but understood enough about the divers anatomy to know how to SOLVE the problem.

And A-HOLES still kill them ?!?!? Maybe it should be legal to kill whalers? Hey fairs is fair right?

That's why I support the Sea Shepard Conservation Society. I suggest everyone here donate. These people don't just talk it, they do it! They put themselves between killers and their victims.

[edit on 29-7-2009 by jfj123]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Finally someone positive and uplifting in the news

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Finally someone positive and uplifting in the news

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by mathew10s

I agree its uplifting. However my heart is in pain when i see this supperiority against the inferiority that has come to govern most of our species...

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

And yet we have some of those morrons within ATS going fot the normality of this all........ SICK [Sigh...]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Hello! It is so nice to see a positive story on ATS. Most of the stuff
written here is scary and worries me. It's the stuff that scares you sh##le$$ in the middle of the night. Animals are generally not evil or stupid. They simply don't speak our languages. Watch a herd of horses for a month, and you will see all the drama we experience with each other, unfold with them. Each animal has its own personality too. I trust animals more than people. They only do what is practical usually, although they also have wounderful imaginations. You can see that when they play. Durring times like these I hope more positive stories come out.
We all need hope.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by skibtz

Come on! People remember Lassie don't they? You know - the hero dog?

Animals that are human pets and companions will always try to help their masters if they can - and are often friendly with strange humans.

Some dogs are smarter than others - but I have Jack Russel, and it knows my mood always. While it is normally bouncing off the walls, if I am looking depressed or tired, then it will calm down and just snuggle up to me - if I am mad, or upset it will keep its distance and put its head down (I feel bad when this happens, because you can tell that it is wondering if I am mad at it). Of course there are times when I am mad at my dog - and I can't stay mad for long - it always looks so sad and pathetic. Usually - when all things are normal - it will just run amok and want to play all the time - stealing one shoe when I put one on already is a fairly standard game for it - I'm sure it is amused making me run with only one shoe on.

Animals certainly feel emotions, and display them readily - they also detect them in humans - sea mammals are all generally intelligent, and with some exposure to humans are likely to understand our moods and also if we need their help.

When I was younger I used to solo sail often - almost every day for about 2 years actually. There was a small island nearby where a seal colony lived, aptly named Seal Island - I used to go and land my boat and go fishing on the back of the island.

The seals mostly used to lift their heads from sunning themselves and give a grunt of bark if I approached. Sometimes a large male seal might think I was trespassing and lunge along the ground after me making a lot of noise. Let me tell you - they are big animals, with lots of big teeth - even on land they look fairly scary.

After a while they got used to me - and when I went to launch the boat, often the whole colony would start getting all excited and pile into the water (about 10 animals or so). If there was a good wind they LOVED to chase my boat - and jump out of the water right next to me - you could tell they were absolutely enjoying themselves. I had a few close calls where they literally bumped into the boat when they were jumping - never hard, but when this huge 300kg monster leaps out of the water almost into your lap - at god knows what speed - you sure do jump. I would guess they could do 50 miles an hour in the water.

I also used to free dive - shooting fish - I used to shoot fish quite a way from the island - but a couple of times they came up to me and tried to grab the fish at my waist. I can tell you I got rid of the fish in a hurry - better they have a free meal of fish than accidentally tear off my arm or leg. They were never aggressive to me in the water - they just wanted my fish!

I can tell you though - on land, they could scare me if they lunged towards me - and they were slow and lumbering, but could get up quite a pace over a short run. In the water - well, that was a different story - apart from the fact that everything is magnified under water - their speed and size was scary as hell. I knew them, they knew me - but any accidental collision would have broken my bones - and a friendly nip could have taken off a arm or leg.

If I was in the water without fish - they would sometimes come and have a look - just swirl around a few times looking at me - kind of bored looking, disappointed I didn't have fish probably.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
IMO animals are far smarter than humans. Most, right from birth, know exactly how to live in perfect balance with all other animals, only making the occasional instinctual mistake, also m0st animals mature allot faster. Humans on the other hand... are totally out of balance, out of place, constantly making mistakes, mature very slowly and have ALOT more to learn.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
SnF for you.

what a precious story, i love hearing stuff like this, it makes you wonder how smart animals really are. I think alot of people under estimate the intelligence of animals.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
It's really is a amazing what relationships can develop between animals and humans. This story reminds me of 2 stories that involve animals and humans.

This first one was a case where a wild sea lion saved a man that jumped trying to commit suicide from the golden gate bridge, because he was incapacitated from the fall he would have surely drowned, if that sea lion never came along and let him hang on until a human rescue team could arrive.

The other is the case of a duck that approached a fire hall quacking like mad, and tried to get the firemen to follow it for the longest time, finally they did and the bird lead them to a sewer grate where all it's little ducklings had fallen through and the mother was to big to go in after them. A rescue ensued and off the duck went with all it's ducklings. Pretty smart bird, I would say.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by skibtz

I love it when things like this happen.

I am so sick and tired of hearing the pro-whaling/hunting crowd bang on about how other living entities can be hunted and killed just because they believe that the creatures are not sentient et al.

This whale recognised that the diver was in trouble and pushed them to the surface in order to save her.

Not only are whales sentient entities but they clearly recognise when another being, despite being a different species, is in trouble and then helps to preserve that life.

Amazing stuff.

www.thesun.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 29/7/2009 by skibtz]

Whales love this planet and they are very worried about our species because we are so sick.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by skibtz

It's not a Whale unless it's got a Japanese Harpoon in it !!

It's not a Whale unless It's followed by a Japanese "Research" vessel !!

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
Dude, it's The SUN, it's like the Onion.

Yeah. I know The Sun can be sensationist sometimes but it isn't a compilation of totally wild, deliberately untrue articles

And The Sun does put it's ass on the line by regularly reporting all UFO sightings and even has a British UFO Files section.

And as any self-respecting football (soccer!) fans will know - it is the number one rag for the latest footy news

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lichter daraus
Do you mean whale hunting?

Nah. More like bears, wildcats and stuff.

Don't get me wrong - the UK has a strong hunting lobby which likes to roll in to town every now and then and have a fight or three with the townies with regards to the hunting laws that were passed in recent years.

While I sympathise with people losing their livelyhoods et al, I am still anti-hunting

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   
That is simply beautiful and proves that animals are intelligent, as most of us have always known.

What makes me sad is that animals will willingly save humans, and humans callously slaughter and mistreat animals.

Hardly surprising, because humans callously slaughter and mistreat their own kind.

Unbelievable.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by surfer_soul
Of course many will say its the negative things that sell storys, which I have to agree with in part, but surely positive things can sell just as much?
I tend to think that more positive news could well make people that bit more positive, and with people feeling more positive, who knows, we might just end up living in an much better world!

Absolutely

The power of the press is immense and I think it has a responsibility to report more positive articles. The news is heavily balanced toward all the bad stuff that is going on and any good news is left for the last 30 second segment of broadcasting.

Even the BBC News intro tune is made up of about 12 different warning signals. Just a refreshing uplifting jingle would be nice!!

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Wasn't sure if anyone had posted the photos yet.

HERE a photo slideshow of the rescue from Fox News.

-ChriS

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
Beluga Whales eat Salmon by the ton! They must not agree with you?

Since they, you believe, are sentient and they are also carnivores, how do you justify that other Carnivores and Omnivores (us) should not eat meat?

I am comfortable making a disctinction between survival and murder.

Humans do not need meat to survive. We have the ability to utilise technology in order to replicate food that would sustain us without needing to kill another animal.

Whales et al are unable to do this.

And we can't really say that killing animals is okay because animals kill each other.Surely?

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   
The funny thing is that they captured how she was rescued on camera so clearly the person taking pictures was trapped in a cage, cause he couldn't rescue her...

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join