It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whale saves drowning diver

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+40 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Whale saves drowning diver

www.thesun.co.uk

A beluga whale saved a drowning diver by hoisting her to the surface, carrying her leg in its mouth.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+30 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I love it when things like this happen.

I am so sick and tired of hearing the pro-whaling/hunting crowd bang on about how other living entities can be hunted and killed just because they believe that the creatures are not sentient et al.

This whale recognised that the diver was in trouble and pushed them to the surface in order to save her.

Not only are whales sentient entities but they clearly recognise when another being, despite being a different species, is in trouble and then helps to preserve that life.

Amazing stuff.

www.thesun.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 29/7/2009 by skibtz]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
either that or it wanted a dead human stinking up it's tank the way i want a dead fish stinking up my house.

this beluga is captive and works closely with humans, i don't think it's fair to extrapolate this behavior to all belugas.

and where do you hear pro-whalers banging on about anything, unless you're japanese or from pharaoh, are you? who else is pro-whaling? just curious, it's a funny thing to say, i've only ever met a handful of people who were pro-whaling.

[edit on 29/7/09 by pieman]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
either that or it wanted a dead human stinking up it's tank the way i want a dead fish stinking up my house.

this beluga is captive and works closely with humans, i don't think it's fair to extrapolate this behavior to all belugas.

True. Although I don't think it would be fair to say that this behaviour is exclusive to captive creatures. There are many examples of wild creatures helping other species including humans. I will try and dig out some examples

and where do you hear pro-whalers banging on about anything, unless you're japanese or from pharaoh, are you? who else is pro-whaling? just curious, it's a funny thing to say, i've only ever met a handful of people who were pro-whaling.

ATS is a diverse crowd with this thread being one example of the differing of opinion on ATS as to whether other living entities are sentient or not and whether murdering them is ok in the name of whatever.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by skibtz

i have to say, the sun is not so credible, i think.
BUT
if this is true, how MAGICAL!

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
What a beautiful story.
It's sad that so few humans care about anything but themselves. It's not just whales ATS doesn't seem to care much about. It's dogs, cats, horses and everything else. But then look at the group of people that predominantly make up ATS. It's not big in the UK but it's huge in the states, that tells you a lot.
S&F for you!

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by skibtz
True. Although I don't think it would be fair to say that this behaviour is exclusive to captive creatures.

Whales often help their young to the surface when they are first born and afterward when the young one is too tired to reach the surface for air.

Kind of surprising though seeing them also acknowledging a person needs to breathe and helping a human to the surface!

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sundancer
It's sad that so few humans care about anything but themselves

it's strange how so few people who say that "humans only care about themselves" care much for humans. people who donate to animal shelters but sneer at homeless people.

personally, i think it's projection.

i think most people care a lot about animals, i never understand the sentiment that they don't, it just isn't true. sure, there are some awful people out there, but "so few humans", i don't buy it.

it's a very vegan sentiment.

[edit on 29/7/09 by pieman]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by double_frick
reply to post by skibtz

i have to say, the sun is not so credible, i think.
BUT
if this is true, how MAGICAL!

I saw a lady being interviewd a while back now and she was dragged down by the whale, then apparently the whale recognised that the lady was running out of air, so ruturned her to the surface in the nick of time!

[edit on 29-7-2009 by no1dea]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Keyhole
[Kind of surprising though seeing them also acknowledging a person needs to breathe and helping a human to the surface!

That fact alone will either prove they have either more than just instinct or that instinct is universal.

Still, what an uplifting story that was. For some reason, and of course I know they have no control, I seem to feel hope creeping its way into my heart when I hear stories such as this.

Obviously it's smarter than feral Balugas simply because it's had any education (training) at all, but it correlates with stories such as this one in that it would seem as though we truly aren't the only species with sentience or any level of consciousness whatsoever.

Click here, you'll most likely dig it.
See...didn't that give at least some kind of uplifting feeling. Can't see anything wrong with that. Cheers, and S&F for the thread.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by skibtz

A star and Flag for you.

I hope many will come across this thread and reflect on the fact that there are numerous instances like these, where we see, not only humans, but other animals being saved and protected from dangerous situations.

IMHO, Humans have a lot still to learn, despite the fact that we know how to make bombs and manifest suffering and harm, both on ourselves and others in a multitude of different ways.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
great story. S&F.

I think theres a lot we dont understand about whales and dolphins. I remember seeing a doco with David Attenborough about Blue Whales. It was absolutely fascinating.

G

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
A few years ago i was inspecting a pier in La Romaine, Quebec and a beluga was swimming around me for an hour or so. It is such a nice creature, I had the chance of looking eye to eye and you see the intelligence a bit like when you look at a dog. Those creature are an endangered species that no one should be allowed to hunt.

Similar stories have been going on with dolphins in the wild for a very long time. It is typically human to think we are the only sentient creature on this planet.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by double_frick

No worries, even if it is not true then a look through this compilation will more than compensate

Lifeguards Saved From Shark Attack By Dolphins
Three Dolphins Rescue Tourist From Sharks
Surfer Saved From Shark By Dolphins
Filippo The Dolphin Saves Boy's Life
Binti Jua, Female Lowland Gorilla Rescues 3 yr Old Boy
Jambo, Male Lowland Gorilla Protects 5 yr Old Boy
Gimpy The Elephant Seal Pup Saves Man From A Mauling
Moko The Dolphin Saves 2 Stranded Pygmy Sperm Whales
Dolphins Rescue Pod Of Pilot Whales
Elephants Rescue Antelope From Boma
Tuk The Polar Bear Saves Kitten

It's a great compilation and some great examples of surival and rescue instincts/decisions being made by non-humans!

My favourite has to be the elephants freeing the antelope- just weird and great!

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Keyhole
Whales often help their young to the surface when they are first born and afterward when the young one is too tired to reach the surface for air.

Kind of surprising though seeing them also acknowledging a person needs to breathe and helping a human to the surface!

Yeah. I know what you mean.

It's bizarre but it actually gives me a sense of safeness or the like. Just knowing that other creatures can think and act n order to provide safety.

It also has me thinking again about the planet as a whole and all of the life on it existing together...weird

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by no1dea
I saw a lady being interviewd a while back now and she was dragged down by the whale, then apparently the whale recognised that the lady was running out of air, so ruturned her to the surface in the nick of time!

I think you maybe talking about this one

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by skibtz

If this story is true Yang Yun must be a very special person with a path which had to be saved. What a beautiful story, I love our ocean so much.

Al of the beings on this planet are evolving, if the dark forces can be kept at bay, we just might become our fullest potential.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sundancer
But then look at the group of people that predominantly make up ATS. It's not big in the UK but it's huge in the states, that tells you a lot.
S&F for you!

I think hunting is more common in the US

Not sure but I get the impression that it is and it could the reason for any cultural divide (if there is one!) on the issue of hunting et al.

I know that the UK is considered a dog loving nation - weird how these stereotypes get thrown around. I do hope they are referring to dogs the animals rather than the women

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by lagnar

Great link to the painting elephant

I know what you mean about the feeling of hope from these encounters. Thrilling stuff

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by grandnic
A few years ago i was inspecting a pier in La Romaine, Quebec and a beluga was swimming around me for an hour or so. It is such a nice creature, I had the chance of looking eye to eye and you see the intelligence a bit like when you look at a dog. Those creature are an endangered species that no one should be allowed to hunt.

Similar stories have been going on with dolphins in the wild for a very long time. It is typically human to think we are the only sentient creature on this planet.

That sounds like a great job you have there grandnic

It must be amazing to see creatures in the wild like that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join