It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grow your own Eyelashes and what Women do for Beauty

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
reply to post by masonwatcher

It's not intended for people who don't have eyelashes at all, it's intended to enhance normal eyelashes into really long, thick, full eyelashes. Even though the ones most people have are good enough.

I am not saying that I have no eyelashes or eyebrows. I am saying that they are surprisingly necessary especially if you want to keep sweat and dust from your eyes. Having shaved my head I also noted the case to be more so.

While people play with these hairs with make up and growing solution, the more hairiness the better.

More pertinently, I note that Latisse contains synthetic progesterone which is a male hormone that is dangerous for female fertility.

[edit on 063131p://pm3129 by masonwatcher]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Let me first make it clear that I do not believe the use of the chemical laden cosmetics is a wise choice. Anyone who looks into the ingredients of the garbage that they lather on their skin daily, would likely be shocked - thus they choose to be blissfully ignorant and painfully vain.

But, what you said about the 'airbrushed models being inhuman'. I don't know, I've had a few girlfriends that have 'airbrushed model bodies' and I enjoyed them very much so, they weren't anorexic, or bolemic and ate normal amounts . The reason why people enjoy the look of an airbrushed model is because of the beautiful 'healthy(looking)', shape. It's not a conspiracy.

But why are people so desperate to achieve that look? The answer is very simple, and the people are entirely to blame. Every single person that feeds into mainstream garbage media that is entirely superficial and completely irrelevant to life - is to blame. Americas Next top model, American Idol, Miss world, magazines (100's of them), etc, all of this complete junk is what makes people want to be like that. BUT THE SAME PEOPLE WHO SUFFER FROM THE BYPRODUCTS, SUPPORT ALL THOSE THINGS!

But then we have the other side of the coin, the "Big beautiful women" side, who claim that not only is being 300 pounds beautiful, but is more 'healthy' than the 'airbrushed model' look.

The only issue is that it's scientifically proven that this just isn't the case. Essentially, obesity is the number one killer of Americans. The diseases that it spawns are all at the top of list of life takers - heart disease, diabetes, etc. In one year, over 400,000 people will die directly related to them being obese. Over 130 times as many people that died because of the governments terrorism on 911. Every year.

You know what that means? Every year we have a 911 x 130... You heard me. 118430!

Instead of vanity for the purpose of fitting in with peers and society, people should consider losing weight, and adopting a healthy lifestyle - for themselves. A healthy body will then reflect itself in the minor details, the nice hair, the nice nails, the nice eye lashes are all products of a healthy body.

But no one wants to go through all the 'hassle' of having a healthy body, thus the booming billion dollar cosmetics business.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by king9072

I liked your post.

When I said airbrushed, I didn't mean skinny. Makeup can't make people skinny. Heck, I've never weighed more than 98 lbs in my life and I'm about 96 now, 5' tall. I was more referring to the skin, the eyeliner, things like that. Breast implants. Lip implants. Things that aren't necessarily normal.

It's really interesting about the chemicals in Latisse, mason. Thanks for pointing that out. They can't possibly have enough testing on future effects on fertility.

notsonice- I know my mother was critical in instilling those beliefs in myself. If my mom wasted tons of money on her hair and her... whatever, I probably would think that I needed to do the same thing.

But I mean to say that I'm not endorsing obesity or discouraging healthy habits. I'm saying that implants and chemicals are not healthy habits. If you stay in shape, breasts become more pronounced and not hidden under fat rolls, and muscles form a pretty nice shape. That's healthy.

Loading on plastic faces and undergoing surgery and medication for physical beauty that is purely cosmetic, that's unacceptable. Or it should be.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Did you read the possible side effects?? Omg, possibly reversible darkening of skin in lids, and possibly irreversible browning of the eye, and hairs growing elsewhere!!! This is scary stuff. I'm upset as it is that there is no medicine that is safe anymore, and even so called natural health products can't be trusted half of the time. But now, cosmetics too. I'm sick of this materialism as well. Butt implants, I would feel so awkward knowing I was carrying around some fake butt on my butt. I went wedding dress shopping today, and they all looked the same. More like prom dresses than wedding dresses. Modern, sleek, straight and minimal. ALL Of them. They didn't even have the choice of long or short sleeves. Only straps or strapless. I want a choice at least, even if I pick the strapless. Its about making us all look like Miss America, or preppy debutante or Sarah Palin. I do everything I can to be different, to rebel against this. If something is "in" then I'm out!! I have never plucked my eyebrows. Almost all women do, it looks so odd to me. But people think I look odd, and offer to pluck mine. Whatever.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by rubyeyes

Yes, those are the effects of synthetic progesterone. The only reason that this medication was invented is to prevent blindness in late middle age due to a condition of eye pressure and low blood circulation. The side effect was hair growth. The effect on fertility for women over fifty was not a concern. Now they want to sell it to women as a cosmetic enhancer?

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Well, if someone's going to be fake enough to take something to make their eyelashes grow longer, thicker and darker.. then they may as well be fake enough to simply wear false eyelashes!! It's probably cheaper too and reduces the risk of genuinely messing up your body. It really makes me angry because I naturally have long, think curly lashes.. but other people can just fake it!!

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Ruby- I agree! Plus you're so darn pretty and normal looking, it's great! Not like, in a bad way, blah, normal. But like... this is how human females are friggen supposed to look.

Funny wedding dress story. My cousin got married last winter, she lives in NYC. She's all tall, Manhattan chic. And loaded. She got fit for a Vera Wang custom dress. Sleek, straps, looked so ugly I swear it was so plain. And she wanted to be super skinny and have it fit her "perfectly."

So I don't know if she fasted or what but she looked anorexic at her wedding and when she was walking down the isle, she passed out. She had to do the whole ceremony sitting in a chair.

Love her to death, but what an idiot.

Mason- Right. But the issue is, as you know, Brooke Shields not over 50. She could still have another kid. By marketing it this way, young people will want to use it. And it might make them infertile.

Oh wait, maybe that's a good idea.

Crying- I guess fake lashes are too much hassle? *points to my picture* Mine are pretty good. I mean, they're dark and they're there. The media is not allowed to make me self conscious about my eyelashes. That would be the stupidest thing ever. It's like toenails. If you have them, great, don't worry about it. If you lack them, yeah, you could do something to fix that.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Mason- Right. But the issue is, as you know, Brooke Shields not over 50. She could still have another kid. By marketing it this way, young people will want to use it. And it might make them infertile. Oh wait, maybe that's a good idea.

Maybe that's the agenda. Maybe this is precisely what the powers that be want. Rather than genocide people to save the planet, they will loosen regulations to release dangerous cosmetics, gm foods and plenty of wars with depleted uranium.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   

I do the waxes, colours, nails, injection, peels, make up, lasers - I do it all. I did it all before I was married, why wouldn't I want to continue looking my best for my husband. My hubby married a 120 pound woman who kept up her nails, hair and makeup, he expected that. He didn't marry a 120 pounder expecting her to weigh 150 in two years.
Is a marriage licence a license to get fat and let yourself go?

So there is my troll opinion for the day.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Well it's my general opinion that you look your best when you look like a natural human being.

And not fake.

But I'm generally a pretty person and I don't need to spend tons of money and risk my health to look like someone that I'm not. I've never needed to diet in my life and I can eat anything that I want and I've still never been over 100 lbs. I wouldn't really like my future husband very much, though, if his love wasn't unconditional and took into account the natural cellular aging process.

Haha, this thread is silly.

Mason- maybe that's why people are encouraged to go tanning. I think we've got a good argument here. All the things you're supposed to do to look "gorgeous" might end up killing you or making you infertile.

Edit- I still think that with the amount women spend on this stuff, we could solve so many other, more important problems.

[edit on 7/25/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13

Crying- I guess fake lashes are too much hassle? *points to my picture* Mine are pretty good. I mean, they're dark and they're there. The media is not allowed to make me self conscious about my eyelashes. That would be the stupidest thing ever. It's like toenails. If you have them, great, don't worry about it. If you lack them, yeah, you could do something to fix that.

Well, if you've read the steps and watched the video on how to apply latisse.. I think you'll find that they aren't really less of a hassle than applying false lashes.. also, on the Latisse website, it says that "In the clinical study, 78% of participants experienced a significant increase in overall eyelash prominence (including elements of length, fullness, and darkness)" However, if you get false lashes, 100% of the people will be satisfied with significant eyelash prominence, as they simply choose what eyelshes they want and apply them- done. And umm.. toenails are more important than eyelashes- don't you think? If you had some kinda toenail disease/problem, your doctor will try to provide you with a medication/treatment, but Latisse isn't related to health in any way is it? It's all beauty.. since it takes about 4-6 weeks to grow an eyelash after one fell out, so the fact is that if someone has some kinda problem where they don't have eyelashes at all, Latisse isn't gonna make them grow any.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 05:53 AM
link   
It's not just women that are pressured anymore,sometimes i think alot of men are actually worse off.It's not so widespread but alot of men in their 20's feel pressured into what they should look like...and if they try to achieve such things the other group of *manly men* are all over them like a pack of wolves.I really fear to see what will become of the next generation of men and women,if anyone has played the pc game bioshock i think along the lines of that..although not literally! little by little the idea of what constitutes as the norm or beautiful is going to be distorted beyond recognition until everyone turns insane from trying to achieve a certain image and never being satisfied.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I'm late to this discussion Ravenshadow, because of my own foolishness. I prejudged your thread title, thinking it was something I wasn't interested in; I should've known better, having read many of your responses and gaining a slight sense of your education.

I believe that these processes are ideas that we sustain ourselves in our desire for social acceptance. If our motivations to change our appearance were grounded in a desire for attaining better health, that would be a good thing, however I think it's more a socialization -- we're encouraged to fit some ill-defined mold of what the perfect person should look like.

I wandered down this path years ago, when I began prematurely loosing my hair. Why prematurely? Because societal mores suggested to me that a virile and healthy man shouldn't be balding at age 21. So, I did the minoxidil thing and even considered getting hair "hook-rugged" into my scalp via the Hair Club for Men. ugh. Thank God I was too poor to afford it. I later came to my senses and elected to just shave it all off, be a baldy. I admit to a certain amount of vanity, as I don't care for how I look with curly fringe around my head -- worked for one of the Three Stooges, not a complimentary look for me, IMO.

I don't care for the layers of makeup I see on many women. I feel bad for them, as often I can see through that to what appears to me as a beautiful woman with layers of stuff on her face. I thought the point of makeup was to change without it being apparent. I can understand someone using makeup on TV -- apparently people's skin looks somewhat lifeless without it. I can understand people who have what appears to themselves as a "flaw" in their skin. But......... these are the things that make us unique and individual. Our thoughts and ideas are unique, why shouldn't our physical selves be as well?

I started working out again last year. Not to fit some norm, but to loose dangerous fat layers around my waist. I feel better. My scars and flaws tell a story. I would never want to tear out those pages. To blazes with societal paradigms....... we shouldn't hinge our worth on our appearance -- it's only part of the variables that are us, and none of the variables that define a good human being, IMO.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Crying-Lightening- It is for beauty. And since beauty is undefined and this form if it is skin deep, why would you risk taking a medication for it which could leave you infertile or cause other complications that we don't even know about yet?

Solomons- It would be even worse if men wore makeup more often. Luckily, they usually don't, so at least their faces typically look natural. But I remember that stupid show on MTV about cosmetic surgery. I don't remember what it was called. Anyway, it practically encouraged teens to get it. And one guy got calf implants.

Calf implants. If you're too lazy to build up your own calf muscles but want to appear muscular, get calf implants. Can you believe that?

Argentus- Well, I'm glad you joined in the discussion! No worries if it's a few posts behind. I think that you're right about social acceptance. I don't think it's as much about finding a mate, or else people wouldn't mind looking themselves online or in public. But people have almost an agoraphobia without makeup on.

Honestly, I think being bald is perfectly normal. Most women probably don't. But think about it, we've lost most of the hair everywhere else. The hair on our heads doesn't really serve as much of a purpose as it would if we lived out in the forest. Balding is probably caused by a gene (which we know) but it may also be a way of phasing out head hair. My aunt also has a form of balding. Yes, in public and socially... people may think less of you or whatever. That's the whole problem with looks. I think it should be based on intelligence and pheromones.

I agree that our physical appearances should be unique, as well. Look at all the makeup in the stores. They've categorized skin tones into between 3 and 12 shades. There are an infinite number of skin shades. They're trying to get people to look the same.

I wish people felt bad for me when I wear makeup. I feel bad for me when I feel makeup, you know?

I loved your post. I really did neglect things in this thread which also impact men, such as balding, etc. I think that you make a good point, as others have, that working out should not be for gaining beauty. It should be for keeping healthy. Being healthy shouldn't mean you look like a model, be it weight or skin or whatever.

Being healthy means you look like yourself, healthy, a normal human being.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
When I was 14 my grandmother told me that when we are not born natural beautiful it was many ways to make ourselves beautiful.

I love make up and love to take care of my body inside and outside

So for that I wear my age very well.

But I will not do plastic surgery or any type of enhancements that will require surgury.

Now, I believe that the eye lashes or the stuff you put on the eyelids causes some nasty reactions.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

She told you that humans aren't born beautiful and they have to make themselves beautiful?

That's weird. I'm not saying she's wrong, I just have never heard that before.

You are pretty much like me. I would never give up my makeup. My eyeliner, foundation, lipgloss, mascara, and eyeshadow. But I don't think I would ever get surgery or laser hair removal or anything like that. I shave, I don't wax. Last time I got waxed it cost me around $85. Not worth it at all.

Any makeup can cause reactions, though. My best friend's skin breaks out if she uses anything but eyeliner or eyeshadow or lip stuff. Like foundation or blush gives her an awful rash, itchy, not like acne or anything.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

My grandmother has always been a women that never showed her age, she looked younger than my mother for many years.

So in other words she showed me how to enhance what It was given naturally to me by birth.

Some people think is genetics involved

My grandmother was something else in her younger years, marry 3 times and became a widow 2 times of the 3.

She is now 83 and still going.

Now as for the Eyelashes stuff to make them grow I read that it causes some type of change on lid pigmentation that is reversible when you stop using it, but if you stop the lashes will go away, still is does causes pigmentation on the eye itself and that is none reversible.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

My grandmother was something else in her younger years, marry 3 times and became a widow 2 times of the 3.

In bet she is a rich grand old dame now

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I laugh when I hear people buying this- it goes away and is terribly expensive to buy. The funny thing is I see guys with eyelashes that women would be excited to have all time.

Of course, going along with it is the fact that people use mascara all the time. It's generally infested with lots of bacteria. I see women who scratch their eyes with the wand and get nasty corneal ulcers.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by slidebyem

My ex boyfriend had the best eyelashes ever. True story.

Mascara can also irritate contact lenses and needs to be replaced often, as it breeds bacteria.

Marg- It also contains some pretty weird hormones, as masonwatcher pointed out. If the pigmentation is reversible, that doesn't mean everything else it could cause is reversible, too.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join