It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grow your own Eyelashes and what Women do for Beauty

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
www.latisse.com...

It's called Latisse. It makes your eyelashes grow. And it's crossed the line.

Brooke Shields is the posterchild for it, apparently. It says...

LATISSE® solution is a prescription treatment for hypotrichosis used to grow eyelashes, making them longer, thicker and darker.
Eyelash hypotrichosis is another name for having inadequate or not enough eyelashes.

Okay so who decides if you have inadequate eyelashes?!!! Isn't that what mascara is for. I can see this being useful if you've had chemotherapy or something. But honestly, this is too far.

We always talk about engineering your kids. Would you pick DNA to make your kid pretty? Well now you don't have to wait. Take some eyedrops, get laser hair removal, permanent makeup procedures, collagen, implants... and you'll look just like those airbrushed models!

I figured out the conspiracy. They're making us look inhuman. The airbrushed models are not human, but we want to look like them. So we go through all sorts of procedures, spending thousands of dollars, to look like something that isn't real.

Good. I'm glad. What next? We already have shiny hair pills. We've got laser hair removal. We've got implants. How about permanent nail polish? Pills to make your skin look tanned without the bother of risking UV rays? They've got stuff to take away blemishes... skinny pills... they'll probably make ones to make you taller. Pills to change hair color, without the waste of putting on dye.

And then there will be a pill to make you a mindless bimbo. Because once you look like a magazine photo, you're set.

[edit on 7/24/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Ever notice how the cosmetic industry is slowing making women look more and more ugly? I have

Eyelashes are not that part of the female anatomy turns me on. What a bunch of scare mongering for women to buy junk that's unhealthy, and they don't need.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

With all the chemicals in makeup to begin with, it makes me want to stop. I have half a mind to declare makeup addiction. Can't go out with my glasses, can't go out with curly hair, have to have all the makeup on. Because it's not like every woman is going to suddenly agree to stop all this at once. What would happen is it would be someone like me to go "Hey this isn't natural. I'm going to get cancer from all this nonsense" and go out au natural. And then they'd think I was hideous and throw eggs at my face because I look real.

That's weird, you know.

I remember Anderson Cooper got some sort of blood test and it showed that he had this awful chemicals in his body, Phthalates, from wearing makeup everyday.

Millions of women wear makeup everyday. And then there are women who go through all sorts of dangerous procedures to look a certain way.

Why. Why why why. Why can't we be happy with how we look, why can't everyone else be happy with how we look and why can't we work on improving more important things. Like intelligence.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
...Why can't we be happy with how we look...

Good question....My wife likes to get her self all pretty for me....I like it, but that's not what I wake up to every morning...I love her anyway...I shave once a week and bless her heart, she doesn't complain about it all.

Someone should start a thread about the dumbest things people do to 'improve' their looks...this would be right up there..right up there with boxing your feet, or injecting crud into your lips to make them fatter...silicone butt implants. Geez.

Makeup should be reserved for rain dances and fertility rituals. If you have a fertility ritual every day, it just sort of loses its significance.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

That's the thing, too. Women don't really do it for men unless they're trying to attract them. I'm more concerned with how I look if I'm going out, if I'll be around strangers, or other girls. Because I know guys don't care. But I do feel more comfortable around them if I'm self confident, and I'm self confident if I spend two hours on how I look.

But that's not really self confident, because it's not really myself.

Remember, women used to put worms in their waists to get skinny. It killed them. But they looked cute.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I once shaved my hair before a cross country race and I will tell you this, you definitely need eyebrows and eyelashes to keep the sweat from you head getting into your eyes.

On an unrelated matter, every time I washed my face, I didn't know where to stop and ended up washing my entire head on account of not having a hair line.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Cosmetics, and the innate human desire to make oneself appear more appealing to the opposite gender, despite how one naturally looks, has been around since time immemorial. Since humans were not blessed with brightly colored plumage, we compensate for this gross slight by Nature by altering our appearance with Fashion and Cosmetics, to emphasize our features that the opposite gender is attracted to most.

The Ancient Egyptians and the Ancient Greeks had huge Cosmetic Industries and even altered them using nanite technology to ensure that things like Eye-Liner would bond on a molecular level with the eye-lid so that you would only have to apply it once every year. Now that's convenience!

Fashion is even older than that, existing at least since the Neolithic Age.

Beauty is really skin deep and absolutely frivolous and a senseless endeavor if you are married, have already mated and produced offspring. However, if you are Single and Desperately Looking, and especially when your Biological Clock is ticking, then enhancing one's natural beauty all of a sudden becomes paramount, essential and actually a very understandable endeavor.

These things only become a problem when we take things to far, where it becomes an unhealthy obsession, or leads us into either Narcissism or into Self-Hate and Self-Loathing. It's not just impressionable girls that have to worry about such things, but boys do too.

Personally, I thought Latisse was a good idea and was thinking of getting it. Yes, Mascara does the same thing, but only temporarily. Why bother with having to apply Mascara 3x daily when you can just have lashes like that all the time without the fuss? Same with RFF Laser Hair Removal. Why shave twice a day, or spend an hour in front of a mirror every morning plucking, and going to the Spa twice a month for a Wax Job when you can just get two or three Laser Hair Removal treatments and it's a done deal for good. Anything that can enhance my beauty without making me obsess or fall into daily ritual for an hour or two to apply it sounds good to me.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
It makes huge profit .. for them. So naturally they're going to 'create the desire' for these things, then 'satisfy the desire'. They've been investing untold millions in 3rd world nations for 'desirable' products such as Colgate toothpaste, Nescafe instant, televisions, Coke, etc. They've admitted it on tv. When asked WHY they were advertising the above products to penniless Phillipinos and Indonesians who eke a living picking through rubbish tips each day while housing their families in large cardboard boxes, the smirking 60-something marketing guru explained, ' First we create the desire for these products, then we satisfy the desire (by flogging off Western consumer products to the starving and homeless).

We're told (thus we believe) that we're miles superior to 3rd world garbage scavengers. We're 'educated', right? We patronise forums such as ATS, we're so intellectually advanced. But they're very successfully playing the same games on us that they play on the 3rd worlders. Ok, we have the Coke and the televisions and the Nescafe. And they're making their inestimable profits from those already. But smart as we believe ourselves to be here in the alleged First World, we still fall for the same old tricks. First they 'create the desire' by creating in us a sense of inferiority about .. you name it ... breasts too small, penis too small, legs too skinny too hairy, armpits too smelly, backs too hirsute, hair the wrong colour, lips too thin, too much body hair (Brazillian waxers paid their mortgages thanks to 'smart' First Worlders' concern about their pubic hair) vaginas too adult (booming business now in cosmetic labial 'improvements' needed because First World women fell for the hype that hairless genitals are 'more sexy', thus revealing labias that were 'too adult, not childlike enough', thus sending them into the arms of 'cosmetic surgeons' who'll perform excruciatingly agonising 'neatening up' of perfectly ordinary labia). And when you get the hair and lips and breasts and pecs 'fixed' .. you discover that some other part of you is 'no good' and so the merry go round continues.

Everyone is programmed to believe they're 'unacceptable' physically in some way or other. Airbrushed, cosmetically enhanced 'celebrities' are used as models of perfection, perfection that can and will be attained (promise the adverts) if the 'imperfect' use this or that product or procedure.

And while we're fattening the wallets of the exploiters in our endless search for the impossible (perfection) we're solidly rooted in the physical, in the material, and working our butts off to pay for the obession with perfection --- and we neglect to develop character, personality or get in touch with the ONE thing that might .. just might .. survive the rot and putrefaction that commences with our last breath --- our SOUL.

Yeah. But being the Sheep we are, we tell ourselves that we have LOTS of time to worry about character, personality, soul --- once we've achieved the physical perfection without which we don't feel able to face the rest of the imperfects.

Consume. Die. The profiteers won't mind a bit --- as long as you produce a few more consumers to take your place before you exit the planet.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

Right but it's not really how you look.

It's all fooling genetics. It's hiding your flaws. If you have to wear makeup to get a date (and eventually reproduce), you shouldn't reproduce.

Now, everyone can look the way they want and have a kid, because someone will always be attracted to a female who fits the mold. We're all starting to look the same. But we don't really look like who we are.

We don't know about the long term side effects of these procedures. You don't know how it will affect you. And honestly even though I care how I look, I kind of want to wake up in the morning and see what I look like. Not what a bunch of procedures make me look like.

Eyelashes aren't super long for a reason. We have leg hair for a reason. We might not use it right now, but evolutionarily it's there because at one time it served a purpose.

Look at the money going into these ridiculous industries. If we all just would suck it up and deal with how we look, the money we spend on ridiculous things could go to benefit much better things.

But I mean, if no one says "Oh, you're so beautiful/hot" when you look natural, that's an issue I guess.

In many many other cultures, the guys are the ones to change their appearance to attract a mate.

"Enhancing beauty" is a joke. Everyone is beautiful, they just need to find someone else who thinks that they are. You shouldn't enhance beauty, really. No one should. Because then it's not actually your own beauty.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by St Vaast

I agree.

Just to mention that breast enhancements can cause problems with nursing, which is, you know, helpful to reproduction. Which is why you want bigger ones in the first place.

That and the fact that people now get labial reduction surgery because all those "individual differences" in anatomy are awful. Even though larger labia are an asset evolutionarily. Why not just cut them shorter. It's American cosmetic female circumcision.

Why. Why why why.

They want money. Honestly. I'm moving to the rainforest.

Breasts? Really? And every friggen guy I know says "No I don't like fake ones they feel weird, they're not natural, they're gross." My boyfriend can't even tell when I don't shave everyday and I shave every two or three days. No one looks at every hair in my eyebrows. Maybe I'm lucky and I'm just pretty but to be honest, if we all just stopped this nonsense the world would be so much better.

Nose jobs... laser surgery... this procedure... that procedure.

Okay I think if people have the money for all this stuff to make them "beautiful" they clearly lack intelligence if they spend it that way. Why not just donate it to a good cause and stop worrying about how you look, and settle for mascara?

The smartest women that I know probably spend $100 a year on their makeup and hair. Maybe less.

But women who aren't as smart spend much more money on everything from tanning to custom makeup.

Is it overcompensation for something?

I spend a ton on makeup, but I know it's wrong.

[edit on 7/24/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by masonwatcher

It's not intended for people who don't have eyelashes at all, it's intended to enhance normal eyelashes into really long, thick, full eyelashes. Even though the ones most people have are good enough.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
Would you pick DNA to make your kid pretty?

It would seem that's the way it has worked forever, people either subconsciously or consciously go after partners with the appearance of certain suitable genetic factors - beauty ranking very high on the list.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   

It's all fooling genetics. It's hiding your flaws. If you have to wear makeup to get a date (and eventually reproduce), you shouldn't reproduce.

Harsh! Yeah, ugly people, people with only one arm, people with BO,,,,they should all be thrown off a cliff.

Oops..be right back, there are some guys near that cliff that are telling me to go over there. I'll go see what they want and come right back.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Except for recessive traits. You can't calculate recessive traits when you pick a mate, it's all probability. If you could pick the exact DNA, that's assuring it 100% that they have the traits you want.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
haha, i just saw this commercial for a neck pump for the first time not half an hour ago, it made me think of that eye lash product you mentioned, and the new crazy fad of taking drugs or buying crazy gizmo's to obtain whats considered beauty.

i can't help but wonder if this product (video below) will do damage to a woman's neck?

[edit on 7/24/2009 by Alaskan Man]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

Not what I mean. Besides if you only have one arm, that's probably not genetic. But anyway...

I mean, monkeys don't shop around wearing little monkey masks to pick their mates. If the guy or girl money isn't good enough, if they don't pass the test as it, then that's it. It's the end. Humans have personalities so even if you're ugly or whatever, you get a second chance.

You're saying that instead of that, we should reward people who are shallow and spend tons of money on making themselves look fake?

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

I saw that, too.

It reminds me of a cervical spine exercise.

www.mtbj.net...

Waste of money.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Honestly, I think Brooke Shields should be ashamed of herself. You, ladies, don't need normal eyelashes, you need big pharma to grow super-long, super luscious eyelashes.:shk:

This kind of crap is how low we've come I guess. It's like we're living in an alternate world or something.

Peace

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

It's even worse to be female. Because if you don't give into it, something is wrong with you.

What is that saying... the brain is the largest erotic organ? It's true. Most guys are much more attracted to intelligence and wit than eyelashes. Most guys probably don't even notice girls have eyelashes.

Unless a girl is completely asymmetrical and disfigured, someone will be physically attracted to her. And even if they aren't, someone will be mentally attracted to her. Unless she's mean, in which case she'll find someone anyway.

Humans don't look normal anymore. I look at the picture from when my grandma was a teenager and in her 20s, in the 1940s. She was gorgeous. Everyone was. A touch of rouge, a touch of lipstick, normal proportions, normal sized everything. People were happy with how they looked.

But I go into public and worry about how I look. That's a bummer. It's a waste of my money, it's a waste of scientific efforts to facilitate this stuff.

But girls are vain and stupid and think this is a good idea.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Society has always told what the american woman should look like.

We're not skinny enough or tall enough or whatever else. I like who I am(most days).

I don't always have to get made up. I used to spend lots of money on make up and the such, but thats not whats important to me now.

Now my sister on the other hand, spends lots of money on her hair, makeup, implants, clothes, her nails, etc. She's tall, blonde, skinny. She won't go anywhere without her make up.

I am nowhere near what she looks like. I'm shorter, not skinny like her, and have red hair.

As long as I can instill in my daughter that she is beautiful on the inside, then she will know she's beautiful on the outside, and try to teach her that is doesn't matter what society wants her to look like, i will have done a good job.

Nice thread by the way....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join