It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space exploration volunteers wanted (The catch? It's a one-way ticket)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I would do it in a heartbeat. Now, I'm not saying I'd want to be packed in a bubble with limited food/ water/ etc. That'd just be silly. However, to be a part of the future of space exploration - absolutely amazing. Doesn't matter either if it was a single mission or a multi generational ark type mission - I'm there!

(and yes, I do have family here that I would miss, but it would be a worthwhile sacrifice.)

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by DezertSkies
Sign me up! I want off this insane planet.

Yeah, i'd go, when do i leave?

Same here, i would love to go, to get away from people in this world too.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
It would eventually be too cold with not enough energy to create heat. So within about like a month with current technology, you'd die of hypothermia and other cold related issues. You'd be an icicle.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
interesting thread,,,

Im sure there have been some ET races that have shot off from their planet never to return,,

it would have to be a big ship/mothership,,,
things to keep the mind occupide...tv/movies/internet,,quite large as well...

I beleive most(99%) Et saucer craft are from a mothership,,

I think for starters we'll be useing anti-gravity probes/sattlelites that are faster than our conventional rockets to explore the solar system,,,

mars is a possibilty though,,,

we got a lot more math to do though and many hurdles to overcome yet..
but in a 150-200 hundred years from now we will have colonies on mars..

I would look pretty sexy in a big space suit!!
lol

Id probly be more of a burdon on the crew so space travel isnt for me sadly....
Id be better off working in the caferteria at NASA or waving a "we love you" sign on the run way,,,we all have our roles and parts though!
I also stutter a little to when I get excited so If I ran into a problem 50 million miles away we could have a small problem if keyboard texting communications went out..

but in 150-200 years from now man will be out in our tiny soloar sytem,,,,

interstellar travel will require a totatally different type of propulsion system,,anti-gravity is nice but will have to be a LOT LOT faster to get out of our back yard...

very neat thread!!!

huggs everyone!!!

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Yeah!!!

I'm volunteering ALL of the US Congress AND Obama and his Cabinet...

AND especially all the Czars!

Tossing in Soto as a bonus....

Just because she's such a cute Latina and would just be soooo cute on the trip to explore the surface of the sun.

Back-up plan:

If they miss hitting the sun altogether... they can explore deep space beyond ...

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Before my daughter was born, I would have gone in a heart-beat! One way doesn't bother me in the least.

Now that I have my daughter to look after, I wouldn't...although she is for the idea as well, and says that we could go together, she is too young to be making that kind of life decision.

As far as colonization goes, you would need no less than 54 distinctive genotypes to allow for infinite diversity, infinite combination. Any less and you would have too small of a gene-pool to allow the propagation of the species. You'd have all the same problems that plague(d) the inbred families of European Nobility and the Ozarks until the inherited genetic disorders were so severe the Colony became sterile, and then extinct. For that reason, you can't rely on just one Cultural Race alone, to settle a Space Colony. Planning a mission to Space or even a Colony of a small team of 6-10 people is one thing, but preparing a mission to Space with the intent to colonize for 60 people is an epic endeavor that is currently beyond our technological means, even if it were a one-way trip. Sustainability would be the easiest part of that, and still, that is beyond our means.

I also think it's highly unlikely that we will have FTL Drives in the next 10-20 years, as another poster had mentioned. It is doubtful we will even approach close to the speed of light in the next 100 years. Too many Science Fiction dreams of the future have fallen by the wayside since the 1940s to put stock in such things. I'm still waiting patiently for my Personal Jetpack and Flying Car and vacations to the Moons of Saturn on a Space Cruise Liner that I were supposed to be available by the 1980s to ever believe that we'll be cruising 24th Century Star Trek style at FTL in 10-20 years from now.

However, there will never be a short list of volunteers for any mission, suicidal or not, to boldly go where no one has gone before. There are plenty of people who have the same spirit as Chuck Yeager. The threat of death does not deter those with a sense of adventure. If NASA were to stop being so sheepish because of safety precautions, they'd still have a constant stream of volunteers, and we could be making advances far quicker. Technology doesn't advance by caution...it advances by those who are willing to take risks.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I'll go by myself. Give me a ship large enough for a sustainable garden, proper entertainment, point me at a spot, and send me.

I'd think the world would be so glad to be rid of me, they will start building the thing but soon. :-P

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
interesting.
well if you sent several rockets per year to mars with giant green houses with inflatable ribs & several species of hardy plants including hemp

& a way to automate enouph heat to make some marsian water ice into liquid.
it might be posible to build vegetable garden this way, this kind of set up could also be used to breed a lot of insects a good source of protien.
so meat/veg/water & enouph heat.
with several more rockets per year to grow this kind of set up in size & help maintain it, it may be possible ?
as for getting there, it may be possible for 1 doctor staying awake for the journey whilst monitoring a small crew being kept in medical induced coma.
& since it would be a 1 way journey an apollo type pod to get get the crew from space onto the surface.
once there a strict breeding program would be needed between 8 woman & 8 men to keep the genetics pool diverse, but extra sperm & eggs could also help keep genetics diverse.
i guess some thing like this might be possible but being stuck with no return ticket might piss you off when you remember how good it used to be eating ice cream or getting pissed down the local bar or taking a holiday in the sun
but their would be no shortage of insect eating vegetarians that might give it go ?
but i dont think its a good idea to send people into space with out a destination !!!.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Does Megan Fox go with me? If so, sign me up!

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Meanwhile, the secret space program carries on...

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Well I suppose if you really wanted to know if you have what it takes then you could sit in an elevator sized room for a few days
. If you've ever been stuck in one and got freaked out from the tiny space then, this trip isn't for you.

Depending on the size of the ship I'm not so sure I could deal with it. I took a 12 hour car ride a few weeks ago and just sitting in the car drives me insane but that could be because there really isn't much room to move around to begin with.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I would do it, I could even be alone the rest of my life with the right programs and backup disks. I would jump on exploring space in a heartbeat. Course the craft would probably have to go fast enough so that I could at least make it to the next star system before I died. Otherwise there's really no point.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Maybe when I'm about 40 years old, you give me a supply of booze, some pharmaceuticals, and 2 sexy women. Some good music, and satellite tv... i would say F**k it!!!

Could you imagine intoxication while on some other planet? sign me up!!!

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Yeah let's spend $1.4tn in 2009 dollars on each & every rapist, murderer & thug on earth

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
No thanks. Not until the people in charge can come up with something like the Enterprise.

But to those who do go, good on ya. You're far braver then I am.

Peace,
FK

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I ll do it with some conditions that i rather not state (because it wont happen).

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
how do we know that its not an experiment to see if a human can go past the radiation belt. If it is safe to go I'll be there to sign up.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I have no desire to enter space, let alone living out the rest of my days out there. I think I would prefer to stay here on earth, even with it's flaws.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrMattMaddix
Yeah!!!

I'm volunteering ALL of the US Congress AND Obama and his Cabinet...

AND especially all the Czars!

Tossing in Soto as a bonus....

Just because she's such a cute Latina and would just be soooo cute on the trip to explore the surface of the sun.

Back-up plan:

If they miss hitting the sun altogether... they can explore deep space beyond ...

I agree 100% lol, Hey the chinese gov. has been sending criminals into space for years...

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Dreaming but what if we could send the white house and congress with all the idiots that support them on a "one way ride" into deep and I mean dam deep space. What would you have then?.....instant recovery. amen

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join