It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space exploration volunteers wanted (The catch? It's a one-way ticket)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Space exploration volunteers wanted (The catch? Its a one way ticket!)

www.guardian.co.uk

It is often described as "the final frontier", and not just by those who follow the adventures of Captain Kirk and the crew of the USS Enterprise. The phrase, though, may take an even more literal meaning for those exploring space in the future.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 24-7-2009 by halfmanhalfamazing]

[edit on 24-7-2009 by halfmanhalfamazing]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:55 AM
link   
This seems like the ultimate sacrifice... in the article they mention that there would definitely be no shortage of volunteers. Would you sacrifice your life so you could be the first to explore certain parts of space?

I don’t think I would be able to do it, especially not at a young age when I haven’t even experienced earth properly...

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by halfmanhalfamazing

It would be kinda cool. Do you go alone or do you have a crew?

I always thought I'd maybe do something like that If I had a terminal illness.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Sign me up! I want off this insane planet.

Yeah, i'd go, when do i leave?

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Thebudweiserstuntman

That’s not a bad idea, maybe people with terminal illnesses should be first choice?

I’m sure you would have a crew, scary thought is you can’t back out when you're deep in space and I’m sure some crew members will freak out when they realize they're doomed

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Yep, sign me up.....

one way to Mars......as long as I can take my family with me.....id start my own clan/race of humans there....woo hoo!

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I think that would be the most boring trip of my life.

You can only see so many stars, UFOs and darkness before the novelty wore off Then realising there is no return ,would send me mad being stuck in some little bubble hurtling through space. What if you didn't like the people you were stuck with for ever in that confined space?

Ooh, definately not for me. I'm claustrophobic at the best of times.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I wouldnt be able to because I have a wife and kid and could never leave them. I'd probably do it if I was older and didn't really have much going on and couldn't see much in the future. But no, theres no way I could leave my family.

Interesting article. Thanks for posting it.

Peace

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I'd definately go, given it some thought.

I'd be mentally fit, physically fit for it, i'd be pretty ideal for it.

Give me Beethovens C.D's, a few favortie singles such as who let the dogs out, U2 and Lupe Fiasco.

With some movies of vampires and such, as Knowing, and Crank.

I'd be set to go,

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   
count me in - no question.

line 2

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   
i'd do that even at the nice young age of 18

come get me

i am physically and mentally fit

[edit on 24-7-2009 by thecrow001]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   
The tech behind space travel would have to be vastly advanced if I were to go. I wouldn't want to spend the rest of my life drifting around deep space with no chance of reaching a destination. How depressing!

Not nearly as exciting as the offer initially sounds.

IRM

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   
This is not only one-way trip, this is suicidal trip with current level of technology. When air/drinkable water/food/energy would ran out - this trip would be over. Colonization is good, suicidal is not. Mars rover would explore Mars much better (and survive for much longer) then man in clumsy spacesuit with supplies running out.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Hell yeah.. were do I sign?

Gimme a few nice women, sky tv and some beer, and im off.
Oh and I almost forgot the internet.. Ill be needing that too!
So were do I sign....? C'mon Im serious?!

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Great........the volunteer list for colonization of space is going to consist of people who feel they have nothing left to lose.....terminal illness, no loved ones, etc....good grief listen to yourselves!
You are saying yes and then you're gonna go with that attitude??!! Intergalactic slavery. What are you gonna do when youget to the mines on Mars? Sing Kumbaya ? So that it becomes the Martian slavery gospel music?

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I see no reason such a ship, carrying a small crew, couldn't be stocked with food and water for the lifetime of that crew. I also see no reason that this ship couldn't be capable of landing if necessary.

I also think it entirely possible that we will discover some kind of FTL travel in the next 10-20 years. In that case, the ships of the future would catch up and theoretically be capable of docking and retrieving you. That's not even considering encountering some kind of ET craft.

I'd sign up either way, I just don't think it's quite as ominous and suicidal as it sounds. Long-term, possibly boring (although as mentioned music, movies and videogames would pass the time) but definitely not suicidal.

Perhaps they'll discover how to transmit data FTL sooner and you'll be able to receive messages from Earth. Damn man, I'm keeping an eye on this one, this is a dream come true!

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Well first and foremost, we can now recycle water from urine etc. We also have the technology to grow plants indoors with hydroponics etc, So there is our sustainable food and water so it wouldnt be suicidal. We should definately not send dregs of society but, fit and intelligent top of the line people, doctors scientists, engineers.
Plus the boredom factor would not phase into this as the people there would be constantly doing experiments quite alot of the time, and also preparing building, engineering works, farms etc to prepare for more peoples arrival and further colonisation. You would need about 50 people to start the colony, and they should all be fine physical specimans. I believe it should be all one race to start with. Mostly the English Anglo-Saxon man, as the British have proven of all the races to be the masters at colonisation and exploration.
I would happily go, do my duty for my country, spread the Empire to the farthest reaches of space
For Queen and Country

Edit*
Scientists have also discovered how to send radio waves faster then the speed of light (only recently) so communication would not be a problem either.

[edit on 24/7/09 by fapython]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   
No way for me. One life to live and I want to spend it with my loved ones. i like Earth.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I think we can solve our prison population problems this way.

Just send all violent offenders.

They get outta jail free, we get to advance mankind (and reduce prison expenses).

WIN WIN WIN

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Aside from the fact that i have children, i would be more than willing to go! though i feel it would be a waste to send humans without first sending probes out. This is how i would initiate a "suicidal" space program. Send out probes with those fancy new ion drives to find at least semi arable planets then send out the people and while en route have them attend space school so they would be able to perform various missions/experiments once they reached their destinations.

Suspended animation would be an idea so we could travel much farther than our lifetimes allow. and before people get all out of whack with this idea certain frogs and lower species have the ability to be frozen and thawed with minimal cell damage due to the unique properties of their blood acting like a kind of anti-freeze. That way it wouldn't be so much of a suicide mission as it was a pioneering mission.

To just send people out to space with no chance of reaching their destination seems silly to me. Robotic probes IMO are our best option for now, unfortunately the concept of currency is holding us back, if we (the world and all its people) could work together without the need of being rewarded monetarily for our efforts we would find that our accomplishments in all areas of science and engineering would vastly out pace our current rate of discoveries. Such a shame that we cant currently

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join