It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant 'soap bubble' found floating in space!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   

IT LOOKS like a soap bubble or perhaps even a camera fault, but the image at right is a newly discovered planetary nebula. Planetary nebulae, which got their name after being misidentified by early astronomers, are formed when an ageing star weighing up to eight times the mass of the sun ejects its outer layers as clouds of luminous gas (see Why stars go out in a blaze of glory). Most are elliptical, double-lobed or cigar-shaped, evolving after stars eject gas from each pole.

New Scientist article.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ed82702f4052.jpg[/atsimg]

I just came across this doing my usual trawl of science, space and technology news sites and thought i would share it with you all.

It constantly amazes me the stuff we find out in space, this looks incredible.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
That's a pretty cool picture. It's so beautiful. Look at all those stars.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
So that bubble I blew really did make it out of our atmosphere!

Score!

Seriously, that's pretty out of place don't you think?

It's very interesting.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Well, there goes the theory that Nibiru's atmosphere is covered with gold particles.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
...that's no bubble... that's a space station!

-

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
wow nice pic!

I would to have loved to watch that nova pop! That is a gorgeous nebula!

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

Hhaha, i was wondering how long that would tkae, I'm glad SOMEBODY made the joke.

That's a pretty sight, I didn't know that happened. Do we know how fast it moves? How big it is?

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Alexander the Great

Really, out of place? I think it looks perfectly at home there lol!

Come to think of it does anyone know how a soap bubble would actually act in zero gravity?

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
well I doubt its made of soap but possibly glass or crystal.although no light distortion hmmmm.odd.......... edit; or possibly water

[edit on 23-7-2009 by genius/idoit]

[edit on 23-7-2009 by genius/idoit]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by refuse_orders

That's just the camera flash reflecting off a giant piece of dust in space.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Just for the record i know this isn't actually a soap bubble lol. I just copied the title of the original article.

I was asking though how does a soap bubble act in zero gravity though (ie if one was blown on the ISS). Does anyone know?

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
its actually Nibiru using its Klingon cloaking device. Awesome that spell check worked on Klingon but not Nibiru. Guess even spell check knows whats made up....

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
You might like this really dry demonstration of water bubbles in micrograv.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Any idea how big this actually is? Looks awesome.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

Thanks for the link, that's pretty damn cool!

reply to post by PsykoOps

I have no idea, I can't find any more information on it yet due to it being a recent discovery i guess.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by genius/idoit
well I doubt its made of soap but possibly glass or crystal.although no light distortion hmmmm.odd.......... edit; or possibly water

Not really --

It's probably made of gas and dust, just like other nebulae. This is a "planatary nebula" -- which is formed from exploding stars. The stuff that came from the exploding star moves outward from the center of the star -- like a shell or bubble.

It just so happens that this nebula looks more like like a bubble than others. However, this one is definitely quite remarkable looking and very beautiful.

Here are some others:
Abell 39
Spirograph Nebula

[edit on 7/24/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Uh Oh, they have turned on their shields. The intergalactic war could be about to begin.

Seriously, cool picture.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by refuse_orders

If the Mormons are right...we have found God!

From the inspired writings of the Prophet we learn that angels "reside in the presence of God, on a globe like a sea of glass and fire, where all things for their glory are manifest, past, present, and future, and are continually before the Lord. The place where God resides is a great Urim and Thummim. This earth, in its sanctified and immortal state, will be made like unto crystal and will be a Urim and Thummim to the inhabitants who dwell thereon, whereby all things pertaining to an inferior kingdom, or all kingdoms of a lower order, will be manifest to those who dwell on it; and this earth will be Christ's.

www.lightplanet.com...

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Well for what it's worth, here's an articale from FoxNews:
www.foxnews.com...

Also, here is the page to one of the guys credited with the discovery.
www.starima... ger.com/Image%20Gallery%20Pages/Hydrogen%20Alpha%20Images/ic%201318_AP_8%20pane%20mosaic_bubble%20nebula.htm

[edit on 03/12/2009 by thinkingAhead]

[edit on 03/12/2009 by thinkingAhead]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

And it may not be "planetary" in nature, but there's always the original "bubble nebula," NGC 7635, seen here in HST palette narrowband:
apod.nasa.gov...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join