It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would Humans be 'Ruthless Barbarians' without Religion?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

Too bad dense in this particular case is subjective. Your stance is undeniably plausable but it does not make it true. And the fact you end it with classic scapegoat tactics of "religion is bad" *held as synonomous with spiritual beliefs no doubt despite the fact practically anything could become a "religion"* only hurts the case you present.
Oh well.

And random question, how many speices do you know of at our current position in evolution? I can't think of any besides us that we know concretely exists.

[edit on 25-7-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

If the universe is infinte then there are an infinte number of speices at our stage in evolution.

Maybe we should have people here pray for the anwser? would that be your cup of tea?

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

If the universe is infinte then there are an infinte number of speices at our stage in evolution.

Thank you Captain Obvious. But that was not my question. How many do we know of? My point being who are you to say that it's a natural byproduct of the evolution of a speices when no other that we know of has been down this particular road?

Maybe we should have people here pray for the anwser? would that be your cup of tea?

Please say this question was more of a joke than anything else. If not I'm going to find it hard to respond if you continue with gems like this. Will be too busy laughing at your presumption.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jinx880101

Looking back at the Crusades, the Inquisition, and a few other
tales of several other religions I cannot say religion is some
guidepost for peace.

Zen Buddhists are the closest I can see to finding peace thru religion,
but I will have to save I think ppl like Gandhi and his way of thought
are more likely what the world will need to reach true peace.

As megadeath says, peace sells but who is buying ?

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
No offense but your mother in law is a brainwashed idiot if she believes human beings would be barbarians without religion.

Truth! It's unfortunate that their exist so many peope with such restrictive thinking patterns...
Religion has caused a lot of trouble, though in itself, religion is merely a tool. The warped minds that have created and used it ( and still use it) for selfish purposes are the ones who perpetuate the barbarianism, and the mindless masses who follow it have contributed more often than not towards that too, albeit cluelessly. Through religion, the people are contolled, segregated, grow fearful of ''hell'' and other vengeful 'consequences' that non-believers/sinners allegedly face, and thus the population have their minds weakened.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by VergeofObscene

I take it you mean organized religion? If so, I totally agree.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

Easier to nuke those that disagree. And a great deal seem to think actually trying to understand much less agree to disagree is just beyond the abilities of a normal human. I would say that is the biggest problem with humanity beyond "religion" or anything else and what causes a great deal of barbarism *though I would argue that it is only what justifies not what causes, greed seems to be the biggest cause historically*.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Ah...religion makes stupidly nice people.

Is that better than smart mean people?

The only way to try to counter the dissapearance of religious morales nowadays is to somehow install a good manners class into the education system.

But MANY oppose that idea and I feel that they would instill a coward type of mentality into many children.

Religion has run its course.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Historical and archealogical record have shown that all form of violence, war, crimes peeked 5600 years ago, and moral inhibitor had NO EFFECT, our moral inhibitor is only a RECENT DEVELOPMENT coined by Siegmund Freud, Carl Jung and various other spychologist and psychoanalist. Ruthless doctrines and leaders came about after 5600 years ago. Man is not the ruthless murder, because if you look at the fossil records of Hominids and Neanderthal they were able to live peacefully, and then you look at specific event the stretches beyond the 5600 years mark. Insanity is perfectly normal if something unnatural has happened to you. What you have said is absolutly right, but thats barely scractching the surface you need look at mans spyche and ancient history with its so called "MYTH". I can tell you right now you live in a world of smiling depressents, schizoids, psychopaths. The phantos complex - Instinct of Death which Siegmund Freud is highly distubed by. it is present in the spyche in all of mankind it is so dark its scary because it literrally gave birth to all form Saddistic, Machoist, Narcistict behaviour and thought pattern. The very evidence for that IS FOUND IN OUR OWN HISTORY IN OUR OWN BACKGROUND

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Sadly we are ruthless barbarians with religion...I couldn't see how our behaviour could get any worse.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join