It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would Humans be 'Ruthless Barbarians' without Religion?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by jinx880101

Humans can be ruthless barbarians with and without religion.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Starred.

Second line!

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   

The simple answer is your mother in law (to be) talks like a simpleton.

I don't subscibe to any religion, never have, never will. In fact, i am probably an idealist in that my perfect view of the world would be one that had never heard the word, let alone been suckered into it for thousands of years.

I am a normal family man. I have two small children, whom i love totally, without reservation, and would lay down what's left of my life if it came to it without thinking. I love my wife of 20 (22 total) years, i have NEVER been unfaithful to her, and never will.

I love my mother and father, and my siblings. I don't hurt people or animals, and once (and you'll probably laugh) ran over a field rat that sprang out from a farmers field, and i felt guilty for months (yeah, pathetic i know).

I obey the law, i don't go out drinking or fighting, stealing or gambling.

I know there are many religious people who live their lives as i do, just as there are non-religious people who do too.

Your mother-in-law to be (if she really believes what she said) is a religious crank IMO, and maybe even touched with O.C.D. Obsessive compulsive disorder, which can manifest itself in many, many ways - one being obsessive and compulsive about religion. You've all seen them with the sandwich boards i expect.

I have no reason to hold back when insulting YMILTB, as she has (through you) just insulted me and millions of others just like me. So please tell her i think she's a loon and needs to get a checkup from the neckup.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by spikey

Yeah shes quite a character,she is a nice person and very sensitive but shes never come accros a person who has challenged her thoughts and beliefs. Then I came along. Let me explain why most religious people put me off religion.

One day I printed some pages on frequency resonance vibration (FRV) or “soul vibe”. She didnt know what I was reading and then told me, "The devil has taken over your mind and keeping you buisy reading things like that. What you should be doing in your spare time is reading the bible!"

I replied in my defence, "What if the Bible is a way of keeping you from knowing whats acctually going on and what the truth realy is?" She got up from her chair, stood up above me, (as to intimidate me) and said "Thats a very dangerous statement to make, we'll see what you have to say when you're burning in hell..."

I was sooo upset I didnt talk to her for days, until she realised I wasnt reading anything SATANIC, since then, I dont bother even having a serious discution with her or any religious person. Its just a waste of time. They want to be right all the time , and thats just not possible..

[edit on 06/10/2009 by jinx880101]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Alesanjin

Good points made, My sentiments exactly! Star for you.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
The world would be a better place without humans altogether, lol.

Let the Dolphins rule now, they haven't dropped a nuke yet. They are already more qualified.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Hey, I was going to say that.
What he said.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Without religion it wouldn't be as bad, but, it wouldn't change how violent we are.

We still have money to fight over, land, food, oil, rights, the list goes on...

that's my 2 cents.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   

She is a firm believer that without Religion, humans would be 'Barbarians' that have no compation towards others, canibals with no morals whatsoever and unable to live our lives as we do today as a Civilised group of beings. Also, that we would not know how to care for our young or teach them accordingly.(long story short

I must've missed the memo from when we moved on from that stage. As far as I am concerned we are what she stated, and always have been.

I think that religion actually worsened those feelings and or instincts with human interaction and peace. And not to say that religion is the sole reason for the hate and distain in our world, but like many other things, it has served only to seperate each other from ourselves, and be one more thing to spill blood for.

Is religion good? Yes
Is religion bad? Yes
Is there a healthy medium? Yes

It's all about balance folks and as long as we have the mentality of "my god is better than your god" than there will always be those who do evil with what is suppose to be good.

Sad but true.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Don't you just love how we compete in all things *usually to the destructive extreme*? Even ideas?

[edit on 25-7-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Barbarians no, but we may have been better off without religion!! I hate to say this but I do believe that religion is true Evil, and if anyone can break the bonds of religion, more power to you!! I suggest reading The Gods of Eden. I am currently reading this book, and let me say what ya'll think is good isn't, and ya'll think is evil isn't!! Good Luck!! Sorry my southern accent came out. hehe

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

Great minds think alike.
Just I happen to be the faster mind apparently.
*just joking I swear!

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by mysticalzoe

Sure if you scapegoat religion *a concept* for the excesses of the beings that created and used the concept. Ideas are neither good nor evil, it's what we put into them and do in their name that makes them evil. The idea that they can be evil seems to me almost supernatural.

[edit on 25-7-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by jinx880101
Would Humans be 'Ruthless Barbarians' without Religion?

It depends on the human.
Many are 'ruthless barbarians' WITH religion.
(or should I say ... because of religion)

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Hi jinx880101/

I think your mother in law to be is a smart woman!

You say Emotions are that which tells us right from wrong?
Where and how did these emtions come from?
God made us above the animals and breathed His sprit into the first created man....we have similar qualities to that of God,without God, all of mankind would be just like animals.....I once had a female rabbit who after giving birth couldnt take care of all her young(dont know why,she didnt say)anyway, one of the baby rabbits wasnt eating and so I took one of the others away so that the smallest could feed, the female rabbit kicked it and then urinated on it...I guess this is the way the animals treat their young.
I dont think human logic would tell us to do the same to a baby or a child under any circumstances.(well,so much for logic in some humans-)
Go back in History and see what people became with No fear in God....trace that History back to TODAYS world and you could be disgusted in what you find!

ICXC NIKA
helen

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
We are barbarians because of religion. A good man will still do good things and evil man will still do evil things but only religion can make a good man do evil things.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Phlegmi

Classic scapegoating. A man is neither good nor evil. His actions can be either. And even then you can do evil things for good intentions and good things for evil intentions. Of course the whole thing gets sillier when you notice that good and evil are purely a human construct and not a very good one at that.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   

With or without, it doesn't really matter. IMO also.
Man just enjoys it. Period.

He not only enjoys it, he proudly teaches it to his young'uns,
celebrates over it and then mounts it on his mancave wall!
The animals are progressing somewhat anyway.
Us?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 25-7-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Any closed mind is a danger. A closed mind sees only the script is has in front of it, is brainwashed by that script and therefore will have little compassion and caring for anyone or anything outside of that script. So for those who cannot see further than their own script, they will feel not answerable to their fellow men or community, will kill, maim, destroy and condemn in the name of that script with no guilt and little thought and will act in a totally uncaring way whilst espousing the nonsense from that script. Why do they do that…fear, fear of death, insecurity, unanswerable questions that they do not wish to face…their own inner demons that they don’t wish to face and a wish to run from pain and the harsh world around them.
So yeah, those with little intelligence, racists, bigots, the ego led and power hungry and some religious people including (and possibly especially) Christians, will exhibit barbaric behaviour from their self imposed brainwashing techniques to dull down the pain of existence and their sense of inadequacy. They will condemn huge swathes of people to an excruciating death as that is in their script, whilst excusing their own heartless behaviour in every day life by resorting to said script, or excusing their cruelty by saying they adhere to the script but are not perfect. Then a quick knee bend and a request for forgiveness to the God of their script… and off they go again to enact the same cruelty. Then they will condemn everyone around them as ‘sinners’ whilst it is only them committing said sins.
Either that or I have just been unlucky enough to have met some damn psychopathic, evil, twisted, cruel, heartless, pathological liars who just happened to be religious and in this case Christians…lol

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Why is everyone so damn dense.

RELIGION IS A NATURAL BI-PRODUCT IN THE EVOLUTION OF A SPECIES!

Our minds which are computers have very specific thoughtpaths when it comes to making sense of unconnected unreferancable information that is presented to us. We introduce theoretical concepts that are then reinforced or degraded. For many coincedence formed for them very real phantasms that controlled the world around them. Examples of these are seen ALL thoughout visible human evolution.

We are not alone in the creation of a beast that is religion. This is a natural progression of understanding. Now it is time for the beast to die in the hearts and minds of people or we will all perish.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join