It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taliban video shows captive US soldier

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnnyflip
reply to post by jd140

I strongly suggest you join up and volunteer for Afganistan deployment. I'd love to see how much ass you kiss when they threaten to cut your head off. Ignorant jerk.
Did your time huh. What branch,what MOS,what unit, Ever deployed to Afganistan? PROVE IT.

[edit on 19-7-2009 by johnnyflip]

jd140, you had a comment talking about the new generation with no heart.
I will agree there is alot more softeys raised now adays but from my own experience, the ones with heart, honor and loyalty still out number the ones that do not.

Jonnyflip, people could go back and forth all day about what someone would or would not do as a POW. Many brave men that have become POWs maintained loyalty to the military code of conduct.

I KNOW I would and this is why.
1. I would completely understand that If I said anything or conducted myself in a way to undermined the mission or my country that I would be giving the enemy justification, reenforcement and motivation to continue to fight and potentially lead to more deaths of my brothers in combat.

2. When I enlisted and took the Oath of Enlistment, I understood exactly what it ment. I knew that when called to, I had to put the mission, the Army and the country BEFORE myself which encluded my wife and family and that is something that I am very proud and willing to do. I know my family would ultimately share that pride.

Finally, I have a very soft spot in my heart for ALL of the Soldiers, Marines, Sailors and Airmen that have sacrificed their lives in combat reguardless if I knew them personally or not. I would be completely aware that If I said something in a situation like that to make the enemy think they were doing the right thing or were justified to continue what they were doing, that I would be spitting on the graves of them all. I would rather die with honor to my country and cause.

[edit on 19-7-2009 by Tank2/8]

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
His name has been released now.

The full video is making its rounds on the usual terror sites.

Unfortunatly, it also made its way to You-Tube.

It's sad that You-Tube would host it.
Wonder how his parents feel about You-Tube making money hosting the video of their captured son.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by kyred
What can I say? I would not have been captured alive. I don't disregard this man for what he has obviously been forced to say, for the sake of his own life. This is common practice to treat a prisoner well, and then threaten that same prisoner, unless he says such things. I harbor no ill will towards this prisoner. I don't know what I would do in the same situation.

You know what you should do as a soldier? Imagine the worst, and prepare agains it.

I was in basic training in 1980 and I was shown a movie where a Lt. told his men to give up and surrender. All of us privates were asked what would you do in this situation? I was the only one of 40 who said, shoot the Lt. and continue to fight. We were never told what was the best response. However, I thought my response was the best. Kill the bastard who said to give up and then fight to the death. None of this crap about, maybe I can live and get out of this later stuff.

Take me prisoner? It won't be easy for you. Run away and live to fight another day? I can see that. But take me prisoner and maybe later I can run away? Not in my mindset,

You assume to much about a situation you were NOT in and have no Knowledge about unless you have been held captive before...

It's easy to be an Online Hero..........

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

Especially in the hands of the people we are fighting today, becoming a POW in their hands would probably be one of the most testing situations for anyman I can imagine. Some people have the capacity, others do not. The good point you do have is no man will know his limit untill put to the test themselves

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I hope they don't do to him what we do to them.

That's a double standard, I know. But I don't think anyone should ever be tortured. With the one exception being terrorists in the hands of Jack Bower who are about to explode a nuclear bomb in the middle of a big city -- but how often does that happen?

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

Come on Kaytagg. Have you seen the videos of their execution of hostiges? You cannot begin to compare us to them

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Tank2/8

I will apologise ahead to time if that is not what you were trying to say

top topics

<< 1   >>

join